Rooting an Android Tablet - Is it worth it

ThaiLife

Now I'm no expert on Android , but from the snippets I've read it seems that rooting an Android device offers the owner more options and flexibility .

I was thinking of buying an own brand Android tablet , from a Thai supplier ( Jaymart JPad 733 - 7'' 3G - 5,990 Baht ) and asked if it could be rooted, to which they replied , if the tablet was rooted I would immediately loose the one year product warranty , but they did not say that it could not be rooted .

Do you think I would get the same answer if I purchased another brand of tablet , say Samsung , Acer , Asus .

If I decided to take a chance and root the new tablet , what would I need to know , and is there a safe way to go about it , or do you think taking the chance of loosing the one year warranty is not worth the trouble of rooting the tablet .

Thanks wai.gif

You will loose the warranty on any device you root. Also you will make the Android device more vulnerable to Viruses because the kernel can be modified after rooting.

You'll have flash firmware that will allow the device to be easily rooted. which most likely won't come from the manufacturer. The procedure for rooting varies from device to device. You'll have to check with Google to see if there's firmware that works on that device which can be rooted.

IMO by rooting, the disavantages outweighs the advantages.

• Like 1

I have the Asus TF700t.

That tablet is almost not useable because it is so slow.

BUT when rooted you can flash a different firmware that is optimized for speed and is much faster and it supports faster CPU speed.

I didn't recognize that more battery is used (surfing internet, reading ebooks), I guess the overclocking is only for seconds when it is needed.

The tablet feels like I would have bought a brand new one...before it was a piece of junk...

• Like 1

I'm sorry this is a bit off topic but it seems there are Android savvy posters here.

Got a tablet for my daughter, a few weeks into her ownership I only get the white Android figure on the screen

when I attempt to open the tablet. I have tried all external button functions to try and open it but it will not open

beyond the android figure, center screen.

Tried to Google a fix to no avail. he table can not be sent back to the manufacturer (Onda.)

Does anyone have a idea about sending it to someone or a possible fix for reloading the Android system?

When the USB connection is plugged into my computer the tables does not show up on the computer.

I'll try anything....thank you.

I'm sorry this is a bit off topic but it seems there are Android savvy posters here.

Got a tablet for my daughter, a few weeks into her ownership I only get the white Android figure on the screen

when I attempt to open the tablet. I have tried all external button functions to try and open it but it will not open

beyond the android figure, center screen.

Tried to Google a fix to no avail. he table can not be sent back to the manufacturer (Onda.)

Does anyone have a idea about sending it to someone or a possible fix for reloading the Android system?

When the USB connection is plugged into my computer the tables does not show up on the computer.

I'll try anything....thank you.

Spend some time reading here

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/onda-tablet-forum/

I'm sure you will get your issues solved.

pm me if you can't figure it out.

Edited by jbrain

I have the Asus TF700t.

BUT when rooted you can flash a different firmware that is optimized for speed and is much faster and it supports faster CPU speed.

I didn't recognize that more battery is used (surfing internet, reading ebooks), I guess the overclocking is only for seconds when it is needed.

The tablet feels like I would have bought a brand new one...before it was a piece of junk...

So are you saying you flashed a new ROM? If so, which one?

I rooted both my tablet and my phone ( both Samsung), it allowed my to use any sim card and i could delete all the bloatware / network customisation ETC, that comes with them. I would recommend it. But as Jim Magee pointed out, it's advisable to know a little Linux, although not absolutely necessary.

Edited by lucifer666
  • Like 1

I have the Asus TF700t.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2223492 Xenogenesis (but a bit older version)

Before Cleanrom

Once you have understood how to install it, it is very easy to do. But the first understanding need some time.

It is really a lot faster than the original rom and looks very clean.

The tablet feels like new....

Rooting an Android device does open a whole new world of possibilities. Some brands will void the warranty but most will still honor it on the hardware at least. Even if you un-root the device, it's difficult to erase all evidence that the device has been rooted before.

Check out the xda-developers forum. Search for your device on the site, you'll find plenty of information on the ease and risks involved. Can't post a link to another forum on TV, you have to google it.

I have the Asus TF700t.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2223492 Xenogenesis (but a bit older version)

Before Cleanrom

Once you have understood how to install it, it is very easy to do. But the first understanding need some time.

It is really a lot faster than the original rom and looks very clean.

The tablet feels like new....

Thanks for that. I keep applying the ASUS updates to this and then when I remember to look for a decent Root it says "You can't do this if you've applied xxxxx update"!.

Doh!

biggrin.png

Rooting a device can definitely offer more options and flexibility...earth shaking options and flexibility?...I don't think so. Improved options and and flexibility...sure depending on the person's needs and desires.

There is not one standard method/set of commands to root a device as it will vary a little from device to device because each device is a little different hardware and firmware-wise. But a "little" makes a big difference when messing with the core operating firmware/functions of a device.

Does it void your warranty? Yes, usually it does. But if you can get the original firmware reloaded and the flash counter reset then the service center won't notice it and service your item for free. And having a rooted device allows easy flashing of custom ROMs--and of course each custom ROM is usually hyped as making your device run tens times better--does it really, of course not...at least not ten times better...maybe 1.1 times better. But in certain people's minds that 1.1 times better is magnified to 11 times better. Just something about human nature in wanting to tweak things which is a good thing for the human race as a whole.

Will you device continue to automatically update to OTA firmware upgrades from the manufacturer...probably not because the OTA sees you don't have an official firmware release from the manufacturer. Well, this may not bother many folks if they know an updated custom ROM will be released soon. And a lot depends on how popular your particular model is...popular models usually have plenty of custom ROMs being developed by many people; other less popular models (but still very good models) may have no to little custom ROM support unless you want to install the custom ROM developed by some unknown (and maybe shady) person.

One definitely nice thing about having a rooted device is being able to remove system level bloatware, especially if it's a Chinese model that comes with a lot of Apps installed as "system level" Apps that are Chinese language specific versus just being installed as a non-system level App which can be simply removed by pressing the Uninstall button.

Lot's of Apps out there that only fully work on rooted devices, but many are usually just doing maintenance or monitoring tasks which you can't do with other Apps. Like the thousands upon thousands of apps out there for non-rooted devices that really don't do much other than reduce some steps you can do just using the Android setup menus. Don't get me wrong many of the Apps that only work on rooted devices are nice to have/use depending on the person.

I've got an Onda V971 tablet that came pre-rooted from the factory so I've got to play a good amount with Apps that only work on rooted devices. And I've flashed various custom ROMs which said they had integrated some improvements, but mostly it seemed the improvements were just removing the bloatware selected which cam installed with the manufacturer's ROM/firmware or replacing it with their own bloatware/Apps that the custom ROM developer thought was neat. But I'll be the first to admit that I expect custom ROMs do offer significant improvement for some models. After playing with the rooted Onda V971 for around 8 months now with various custom ROMs and Apps that work on rooted devices only, the thrill has departed. I'm just as happy using my Samsung tablet and smartphones which do not come rooted nor have I wanted to root (at least not yet). But hey, that just me...others like to root (or load a custom ROM) their new device on day one if possible...that fine...to each his own.

Yes, yes to the folks who "have to have a rooted device"--it's a good thing for you...it meets your needs and/or desires. But if the device was not rooted your tablet/smartphone life would continue on just fine (I think, I could be wrong...I'm good at being wrong).

• Like 1

I've been using my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" (wifi) model for over an year now without any rooting/flashing etc. Apart from not being able to use TitaniumBackup, I haven't noticed any downsides. The tablet still is very responsive and I don't see ANY slowness so I don't see any need for overclocking. I do NOT like manufacturer customizations but apart from a bit of gaudiness of Samsung TouchWiz (probably due to color oversaturation of AMOLED), I realized find that they have done a VERY good job of putting everything exactly where it would be most useful. Typically I install ADW launcher immediately after getting any new Android device but for this one, I didn't and haven't felt any need so far.

For the record, I've rooted and flashed roms on my HTC Desire (it was fun tinkering!).

Mind you, I've been a Linux user for well over a decade and openly confess to having a bit of an OCD when it comes to my desktop environment; I'm also an obsessive customizer. However, I've noticed that for tablets, you are hardly interacting with the OS for most part once you set it up the way you like. Most of the time, changing launchers and installing utility apps is sufficient for most users and most of that doesn't require rooting.

Not knowing what Rooting means, I read this post and was impressed with the technical reply’s to it.

Why is it that some posts attract what appears to be helpful and intelligent responses as opposed to others that attract replys that border on abuse?

My samsung lost network signal due to a hardware fault within warranty period so I unrooted it and got the replacement board fine. So while it can void warranty if detected it can also be undone.

Rooting opens up further options and apps. The best backup apps require rooting. Many apps become more powerful with root.

For older devices you can install more efficient software that gives a breath of fresh life. For modern devices it can make it more cutting edge.

Actually rooting can risk destroying your device so best done by someone who knows. But once rooted it is no different to use except wider choice of apps so no need to be an expert.

I use linux for my main pcs so rooting was an obvious step.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have the Asus TF700t.

I also have the TF700T, and it is not slow at all. No problems at all in fact. Love it and use it constantly. An alternate firmware to be applied after rooting it might make it faster, I can't say for sure (probably if there's one optimized for speed), but in my case there's simply no need currently as mine's definitely not slow. In reading up on it however, I read that many people who fail to do a factory reset (which entails backing up and then restoring apps & data) ICW an Android update realize an improvement after performing the reset as recommended. (And Asus recently released an update to 4.2.)

So from my perspective, I wouldn't think too seriously about it at least until after warranty expiration (unless of course you want to run some particular app that requires it be rooted).

Now I'm no expert on Android , but from the snippets I've read it seems that rooting an Android device offers the owner more options and flexibility .

The computer you are using at the moment has some form of anti-virus protection, maybe a firewall? You only install programs from trusted sources? If you are wise (and on Windows) you only use an account with basic user access rights and only switch to Administrator level access when needed.

Once you have rooted your Tablet or Phone it is assumed that you are much more aware of the vulnerabilities that you might be subjected to when installing a fancy App that you don't really know is doing inside while offering Space Birds or Bar Girl Finder Pro 2.0 on the screen.

With a rooted device it is so much easier for those with malicious intent to achieve their objective at your expense, with the increase in mobile banking Apps and identity-theft you should become an expert first so you are capable of informed consent as to exactly what risks you are subjecting yourself too.

The question is not so much if you can root any device but what are the implications of doing so?

For the record, I've rooted and flashed roms on my HTC Desire (it was fun tinkering!).

I like to tinker to and usually I don't break anything in my tinkering. I think for a lot of people (like me) they just want to give "rooting" a try since they heard so much about it...tinker so to speak...experience it first hand...learn something new...and they probably realize down deep it probably won't be a major step forward in use of their device. Then after they have tinkered for a while and possibly find out rooting was really not such a big deal in the day-to-day use of their device (at least in their case) then they can say "they been there, done that, got the tee shirt" which can give you a satisfied feeling. I'm now satisfied...and that satisfaction also tamed any urge "to root each and every table/smartphone I've got or will ever have." And I will also say for people whose business/work is IT-related then rooting their devices and using that knowledge & experience from using a rooted device makes them a technically smarter and more experienced person which can put more money in their pockets.

Thanks to every one for your comments , its appreciated and nice to see different views on the subject . I'm still on the fence about rooting , but may be leaning a bit towards just leaving the new tablet alone and see how it goes . As some one who is not very Android orientated, several things have crossed my mind, like why some apps can only be installed on rooted devices , surely that would limit the app providers market and be a poor business practice and why new devices don't come ready rooted to save all the device owners the messing about rooting their new toys .

Thanks to every one for your comments , its appreciated and nice to see different views on the subject . I'm still on the fence about rooting , but may be leaning a bit towards just leaving the new tablet alone and see how it goes . As some one who is not very Android orientated, several things have crossed my mind, like why some apps can only be installed on rooted devices , surely that would limit the app providers market and be a poor business practice and why new devices don't come ready rooted to save all the device owners the messing about rooting their new toys .

I expect the main reason most tablet/smartphone manufacturers don't sell "rooted" devices is to reduce customer-caused malfunctions and complaints because when a device is rooted the customer can pretty much delete/modify anything/allow access to anything he wants to, which all too often ends up in some customers deleting/modifying Apps and files that are important to the devices' proper operation. Now will the customer blame himself--of course not; he will blame the device/manufacturer...make posts that the device is a piece of crap when really it's not. So the phone ends up going to he service center, the service center expends manpower and money to usually just reload the original firmware/Apps and the phone is working fine again.

And another major reason is some carrier's, especially those in the U.S., many times have firmware specific firmware loaded which limits certain functions unless you sign up for a value added service and then the carrier will transmit a magic code/update to your phone to active a certain function on the phone....like maybe being about to use the phone to share your mobile data connection by putting the phone into HotSpot/Tethering mode.

But I think the main reason most manufacturers do not provide rooted firmware is to prevent many customers from unknowingly (or maybe even knowing) messing up their device. You know there are a lot of people out there who are just dangerous with any electronic device you put in their hands. And it also allows the manufacturer to push updates to phones with a standardized configuration versus a rooted device that the customer may have altered quite a bit and then the pushed update don't work properly.

Edited by Pib

Hello TL...

Makers of "devices" don't sell rooted devices for the sake of their company profits and other neat

stuff android developers say the makers need on their devices so's the droid developers can make

a few bucks also. There's other reasons too...say Samsung introduces a new phone/tablet with specs

just a little bit better than the last model & they change the GUI to make it look a bit snazzier then

plop this new gizmo on the market after telling the generally ignorant public it's the slickest gadget

to date. Let's say that this new gadget has the same processor as the old gadget...really couldn't

charge an arm & a leg if it was easy for the public to find out could they? Many makers like to add

Bloatware...software that nobody really wants or needs...unless the buyer is 8 years old...so if

the device was rooted by the factory it would be easy to remove said software. And let's say

that the android version on this new gadget is throttled down a bit...not as fast as it could really

run...they wouldn't want the buyer to know that either. Myriad other reasons abound also...

So...if you root your phone in essence it is like having administrator rights on your PC...you

are in control over what stays on or is removed...not the devices manufacturer. And the

manufacturer's don't like this rooting stuff...that's why rooting your device immediately

voids the warranty...so when you return the device for service they'll charge you more

to reinstall the stock factory ROM.

The posts on this thread recommending a look at XDA-Developers are good suggestions

should you decide to root your device. Please be 100% aware that you can "brick" your

device by not following given instructions on the various threads. Brick means just that;

your device is rendered virtually useless...save for usage as a brick.

I've been rooting phones for a while now and have gotten used to doing it...pretty simple

actually...but if it's ones first time...the heart rate does increase.

My suggestion is this...If you don't mind what's on your device as it is and are happy with the

screen layout, speed, what it does for you in general etc...etc...then don't root it.

Hope this helps you.

Edited by sunshine51

Note to retarded people re: Rooting and Australians - we get the joke. It just isn't that funny.

I'm now satisfied...and that satisfaction also tamed any urge "to root each and every table/smartphone I've got or will ever have."

The only reason to root is if there is a tangible benefit. In my case there are lots. I rooted my S3 a long time ago, and the ROM I run on it now (Blackbox) is far superior to the Stock Rom in both performance and features. There's also the added bonus of being able to back up a ROM image onto the SD card, and also Apps/Data to the cloud.

If I ever lost it, I'd have an absolutely identical replacement up and running 30 minutes from unboxing.

That is quite important to me.

Is it worth it?

Absolutely.

• You can remove any unwanted bloatware, preinstalled by the manufacturer
  • Adaway, to avoid loading crappy ads, which double/triple your data consumption.
  • Titanium Backup
  • and loads of other apps, which need root access.

All my devices are rooted and all (of my) are "unbrickable", because you are always able to flash a manufacturers Rom, if you messed something up. (What happens from time to time tongue.png)

Edited by Turkleton

It's about what purpose you want to root it for. Some have mentioned wanting certain apps like Titanium Backup. Some have mentioned wanting to clean up the bloatware bundled with the device. Others like a pure Android experience rather than the branded experience provided by the particular brand. Others just like to have full control of their device. Others like to try custom variants of the stock experience. Another important factor is wanting to have the latest OS updates without waiting for the manufacturer to provide it. With some companies, support is very poor and you often get few updates beyond the original version, if at all. Another factor to consider is that less popular devices have less support with custom ROMs. It's just a matter that the more people there are who have a particular device, the more there are to work on custom things.

Edited by HAL9000