Meaning of Chitralada จิตรลดาร

Xangsamhua

Just to expand on AyG's explanation, here is a piece from the Royal Institute website knowledge base: http://www.royin.go.th/th/knowledge/detail.php?ID=2915

ชื่อ จิตรลดารโหฐาน ตั้งตามชื่อสวนแห่งหนึ่งของพระอินทร์ ชื่อว่า สวนจิตรลดา. คำว่า รโหฐาน แปลว่า ที่สงัด, ที่เฉพาะส่วนพระองค์. ด้วยเหตุที่พระตำหนักองค์นี้ตั้งชื่อตามสวนของพระอินทร์ จึงพระราชทานชื่อประตูทั้ง ๔ ทิศ ตามนามของพระอินทร์ พระยม พระวิรุณ พระกุเวร และตั้งให้สอดคล้องกัน คือ พระอินทร์อยู่ชม พระยมอยู่คุ้น พระวิรุณอยู่เจน พระกุเวรอยู่เฝ้า

Thank you, AyG and David.

I find the Thai explanation a bit small and hard to read, and my reading skills are not wonderful.

"Indra's garden" seems appropriate for a palace in Indra's city, but his garden is normally called Nandana, Kandasara or Parushya, I believe.

Is Chitralada then just a pleasant sylvan spot frequented by Indra? That would suggest that the palace is a temporary thing.

A question about pronunciation of จิตรลดาร. I seem to recall being taught that it was cìt.ra.daa - the ล not being pronounced - though I can't find anything to back that up (apart from my course notes). Any thoughts?

Is it possible it's จิตรลดา without ร ?

The ร is probably part of รโหฐาน in จิตรลดารโหฐาน

If so, it's pronounced จิด-ตฺระ-ละ-ดา according thai-language.com and the RID but if you look around on the internet you'll find most Thai people pronounce it as จิด-ละ-ดา

Edited by kriswillems

Many Thai words, as well as English words, undergo simplification in pronunciation over time, especially with respect to unstressed syllables. Ask any college student where they attend school and they will most likely use the term "มหา'สัย" for มหาวิทยาลัย. I have even seen the word spelled with the apostrophe. I think this is a normal process of divergence between the written language and spoken language. In fact, on might argue that all Thai คำสนธิ and คำสมาส (merged words) began as separate words and merged over time due to ease of pronunciation.

For more on this phenomenon of simplification I recommend "The Unfolding of Language: An Evolutionary Tour of Mankind's Greatest Invention" by Guy Deutscher. See

http://www.amazon.com/The-Unfolding-Language-Evolutionary-ebook/dp/B00BCG1MK8/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1375010416&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Unfolding+of+Language%3A+An+Evolutionary+Tour+of+Mankind%27s+Greatest+Invention

If so, it's pronounced จิด-ตฺระ-ละ-ดา according thai-language.com and the RID but if you look around on the internet you'll find most Thai people pronounce it as จิด-ละ-ดา

The ร​ is part of จิตร, which by itself means "drawing, painting, portrayal".

I was referring to the the the second ร in จิตรลดาร (in the original post).

I was referring to the the the second ร in จิตรลดาร (in the original post).

The second ร was my error (cut and paste). Sorry.