Staying left for bikes (again)

robblok

Ok,

I have read the laws in English and nowhere it says that bikes are supposed to stay to the left. They are talking about slow traffic.

Is there some kind of addendum that show us that bikes are considered slow traffic ?

Last time I got stopped on the big bike I even had the paper with me in Thai about this law stating it was for slow traffic. The police was not having any of it.

I know there are many stories here of people not paying and I believe a load of BS too. I have tried it a few times not paying arguing ect but it did not work.

Now I would love to know the definite answer here, my only explanation is the bikes are considered slow traffic and are defined somewhere that they are. Just like trucks are defined slow traffic and are not allowed on all the lanes of the road (they flaunt it just like bikes)

Section 33 (500B)

[When driving, the driver shall keep to the left of the road and must not drive beyond the middle of the roadway, except following situations:
▪ a. there is obstruction on the road

▪ b. the road is prescribed as one-way

▪ c. the road width is less than 6m.

Section 34 (500B)
[if the road is divided into two or more traffic lanes in the same direction, the driver shall keep to the outermost left-hand side lane. If the outermost left-hand side lane is a bus lane, the driver shall keep close to the bus lane. Except following situations:
▪ a. there is obstruction on the road
▪ b. the road is prescribed as one-way
▪ c. it is necessary to enter the correct lane upon approaching a junction
▪ d. when overtaking another vehicle
▪ e. when driving faster than vehicles in the left-hand side lane.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is a four lane road and two lanes are on the left side all trafic are supose to stay in the extreme left lane except for the reasons you listed. I have been stoped a couple of times, but never fined.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I know they do stop cars for driving on the right, if there is no other traffic to be overtaken.

Although, maybe they are stopping them because they presume them to be speeding ??

When you were stopped, were you in the process of / completing an overtake ! Or were you just cruising in the right hand lane ??

You forgot section 35 which clearly says motorcycles on the left, just like trucks and buses.

Section 35

'The driver of a truck, passenger vehicle, MOTORCYCLE, vehicle of low speed or traveling at lower speed than those of other vehicles moving in the same direction should keep to the kerbside of the roadway or as close as possible.

If such a roadway is divided in to two or more traffic lanes in the same direction or has a bus lane specifically arranged on the left hand side, the driver shall drive the vehicle in the outermost left hand side lane or as close to the bus lane, as the case may be.'

It is an outdated law and perhaps a silly one, nevertheless it is the law and you can have no argument.

• Like 1

You forgot section 35 which clearly says motorcycles on the left, just like trucks and buses.

Section 35

'The driver of a truck, passenger vehicle, MOTORCYCLE, vehicle of low speed or traveling at lower speed than those of other vehicles moving in the same direction should keep to the kerbside of the roadway or as close as possible.

If such a roadway is divided in to two or more traffic lanes in the same direction or has a bus lane specifically arranged on the left hand side, the driver shall drive the vehicle in the outermost left hand side lane or as close to the bus lane, as the case may be.'

It is an outdated law and perhaps a silly one, nevertheless it is the law and you can have no argument.

If its the law its the law, haven't seen that law here before.

Yep you're supposed to keep to the left if not overtaking. I've had to pay a few contributions to the tea fund, but decided to follow a fellow TV members advice as below - probably dodged a dozen stops like this with no ramifications.

If they attempt to stop you for travelling in the right hand lane, don't make eye contact, don't slow down, keep on cruising, put your right hand indicator on to signal to him that you're in the lane to do a turn or a U-turn. This only applies if you can make it appear that you either didn't see the BIB, or if you are going too fast to slow/stop reasonably safely. If you have to make a heaving lane change to dodge him then he might get miffed and radio ahead. Same applies to stops in town for helmet/licence checks etc.

More importantly, if you see the BIB ahead and you're in the right hand lane, put on your right indicator irrespective of where the next junction or U-turn is. Let's face it, there will be one within 1klm in most situations and he'll let you go.

Don't change lanes to the left when you see them ahead as you're admitting guilt and therefore you're easier to stop and can't easily feign the inability to see them and cruise past.

That explains why he was asking me where I was going last time. The road was divided into 2 2 lanes both splitting of later I was in lane 3 and was going in that direction so I was right. Anyway I am not to bothered with paying them its just a wast of time if you have to find and pick up your license somewhere because often I have no clue where it is.

Driving anywhere else than the left lane when not overtraking is wrong and causes accidents and slowdowns.

Reading this thread, I understand most of you were not fined for simply driving in the right lane, but for doing so when the left lane was free of traffic. the fine is totally justified.

• Like 2

Driving anywhere else than the left lane when not overtraking is wrong and causes accidents and slowdowns.

Reading this thread, I understand most of you were not fined for simply driving in the right lane, but for doing so when the left lane was free of traffic. the fine is totally justified.

I am driving in BKK.. its never free of traffic always busy I am keeping up with the fast traffic on that lane and passing all traffic in the other lanes. Why stay if other lanes are free.

I am driving in BKK.. its never free of traffic always busy I am keeping up with the fast traffic on that lane and passing all traffic in the other lanes. Why stay if other lanes are free.

Good point in your case.

Did one of you already try to pull out a lawyer's business card or even try to put a lawyer one the case?

Another question: to issue a fine, i expect police to be required to reference the driving regulations paragraph or directive that was being breached. If the police cannot referene it, there is no infraction. In future, ask them which paragraph applies or refuse the fine.

I have a similar problem with the small bikes on highway issue, and I plan to visit the highway police local office to ask them precisely where the rule is referenced and what's considered a big bike. I guess I will also add the question about right lane driving.

You're both correct and I agree in principal - keeping left or in the middle especially on the motorway or expressway for slow/non-overtaking traffic is OK. But driving a car on major roads with 2 lanes in each direction, it's a 50/50 call where is safest. Keep left and risk wiping out motorcyclists or cars/trucks/busses that are entering the traffic flow. Or keep right and risk getting hit or hitting a vehicle doing a u-turn in either direction.

My experience is that keeping right (at a fast enough speed not to be slowing traffic - and I don't go slow!) on a two laner is safest but keep your eyes well in front so you can change lanes early when congestion is evident. If there's 3 lanes, the middle is almost invariably the safest. And of course on a 3 laner the middle lane is legal for a car that is not passing traffic.

If I get flagged to stop while in the RH lane I follow my own advice and don't stop unless it's unavoidable. i.e BIB like a possum in the headlights and cannot safely change lanes.

Good point in your case.

Did one of you already try to pull out a lawyer's business card or even try to put a lawyer one the case?

Another question: to issue a fine, i expect police to be required to reference the driving regulations paragraph or directive that was being breached. If the police cannot referene it, there is no infraction. In future, ask them which paragraph applies or refuse the fine.

I have a similar problem with the small bikes on highway issue, and I plan to visit the highway police local office to ask them precisely where the rule is referenced and what's considered a big bike. I guess I will also add the question about right lane driving.

I am pretty sure my 650cc ninja is a big bike but I am equally sure they still classify it as a motorcycle and don't care one bit its big or not. Its an crazy law, but its the law so they can stop me for this and I am breaking the law.

Well keep us posted, I'd really like to see some of these antique laws changed, not being allowed on the tollways is the main reason I avoid riding through BKK.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Well keep us posted, I'd really like to see some of these antique laws changed, not being allowed on the tollways is the main reason I avoid riding through BKK.

IT would be nice if the likes of Honda and Kawasaki would lobby for something like change of the laws. But I doubt it as the police would loose a source of income and there is no money to be made. This government is only busy with lining their pockets with money and getting a convicted criminal home. I doubt they would do such a thing.

Section 35

"truck, passenger vehicle, MOTORCYCLE, vehicle of low speed"

That pretty much covers all vehicles, doesn't it?

• Like 1

Section 35

Trucks I suppose means HGVs. Passenger vehicle refers to buses, coaches etc. So yes, it covers all vehicles except the main road vehicles, cars, pick ups and vans.

I can see the reason for the law though, it keeps the locals from pottering along on their 20yr old bike in the fast lane.(Yes some still do that anyway) It should be changed so that any bike 150cc up can use the fast lane or even the elevated motorways.

Section 35

Trucks I suppose means HGVs. Passenger vehicle refers to buses, coaches etc. So yes, it covers all vehicles except the main road vehicles, cars, pick ups and vans.

I can see the reason for the law though, it keeps the locals from pottering along on their 20yr old bike in the fast lane.(Yes some still do that anyway) It should be changed so that any bike 150cc up can use the fast lane or even the elevated motorways.

Agree but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Are you getting dizzy sitting up there on your high horse?

Riding on the left is simply too dangerous, having to deal with buses, taxis, cars not signalling their turns etc. I'll keep to the right and just fly past any police trying to pull me over.

H0w c4n th3 13ft 14n3 63 d4ng3r0u2 63c4u23 0f t4x!s 4nd bu232 !f !t !2 fr33 0f tr4ff!c 42 st!pu14t3d !n my p0st?

Riding on the left is simply too dangerous, having to deal with buses, taxis, cars not signalling their turns etc. I'll keep to the right and just fly past any police trying to pull me over.

H0w c4n th3 13ft 14n3 63 d4ng3r0u2 63c4u23 0f t4x!s 4nd bu232 !f !t !2 fr33 0f tr4ff!c 42 st!pu14t3d !n my p0st?

The Law is same as in any other country, keep to left in general,

use fast right lane for overtake or when you approach a turn/u-turn.

WHY ELSE WOULD AN INTERNATIONAL DL BE VALID ??!!

Then we have the police-scum of Thailand interpretation,

its easier to stop and scam the drivers if they stay in left lane, so enforce that stand,

preferably with a fine of some shiny money

Edited by poanoi

Actually there would be more revenue from allowing big bikes on the tollways police doesn't get involved in this one way or the other.

Its a different issue of course with having to stay in left line.

Great post! So good you posted it 3 times! facepalm.gif Must have taken you quite a while to write it!

And as a previous poster stated, since when is the left lane ever free of traffic? And there are parked vehicles and pedestrians darting out to contend with. You carry on riding in the left lane and leave the guys on r34l 6!k35 to carry on.

Edited by H1w4yR1da

You are exactly right in your reading of the law. All Thais believe you are supposed to drive everything to the left. Not true; it's a false belief. Slower traffic to the left. Certainly no special law for motorcycles on this. And the left is the most dangerous part of the road. I ALWAYS ride my motorcycle to the right and will continue to (I am sure as hell never "slower traffic").

You did the right thing showing the cop the law, but if he is going to play, "Who has the biggest dick?" you have two choices: Either pay him, or say, let's go to the police station and speak with your supervisor (and be willing to do it). If you have no time, you have to pay.

When they get your license in their hands, it gives them power. Here is a ploy I use. I made copies of my license (front and back) and laminated them. If cop asks me for my license, I hand him the copy and show him the real one. They do not like it, but you keep the power. I went to the police station with a cop on this and NOTHING happened to me (Cop: Give it to me or we will go to police station. Me: Let's go.). But here's what happened to HIM: He had to do a lot of paperwork and he was off the street for a couple of hours. Now this was a guy who was working the left turn lane at the Victory Monument Intersection in Bangkok. Can you imagine how many thousands in pocketed fines this guy lost out on while he was screwing around with me? He got hurt.

It is rare that Thai police even mess with me. I think they have learned that farangs don't play the mai bpen rai game and are simply too much trouble. Let's keep up the training program. You might martyr yourself by losing a couple of hours going to a police station, but that cop won't be as likely to bother the next farang when Thais are such easy money.

Don't forget that unlike in the US when you want to wring a cop's neck and let him know it, here, you should smile the entire time, act happy and be respectful. Don't act angry, indignant or stressed (like I did on the occasion of my above-described trip to the police station). Acting right is 90% of the game. After having figured this out, I seldom ever have any problem with Thai police. I smile, speak little Thai, ask them how they are today, and they always wave me on.

• Like 1

Yep you're supposed to keep to the left if not overtaking. I've had to pay a few contributions to the tea fund, but decided to follow a fellow TV members advice as below - probably dodged a dozen stops like this with no ramifications.

If they attempt to stop you for travelling in the right hand lane, don't make eye contact, don't slow down, keep on cruising, put your right hand indicator on to signal to him that you're in the lane to do a turn or a U-turn. This only applies if you can make it appear that you either didn't see the BIB, or if you are going too fast to slow/stop reasonably safely. If you have to make a heaving lane change to dodge him then he might get miffed and radio ahead. Same applies to stops in town for helmet/licence checks etc.

More importantly, if you see the BIB ahead and you're in the right hand lane, put on your right indicator irrespective of where the next junction or U-turn is. Let's face it, there will be one within 1klm in most situations and he'll let you go.

Don't change lanes to the left when you see them ahead as you're admitting guilt and therefore you're easier to stop and can't easily feign the inability to see them and cruise past.

That explains why he was asking me where I was going last time. The road was divided into 2 2 lanes both splitting of later I was in lane 3 and was going in that direction so I was right. Anyway I am not to bothered with paying them its just a wast of time if you have to find and pick up your license somewhere because often I have no clue where it is.

You can usually just pay off the cop and keep your license. But if you get the ticket, you can pay it at any post office in Thailand and they will mail back your license.

Speaking of tickets, if you get three in a year, you can lose your license. So, if you get a lot of tickets, you might do well to put your vehicle in the wife's name. :)

You are exactly right in your reading of the law. All Thais believe you are supposed to drive everything to the left. Not true; it's a false belief. Slower traffic to the left. Certainly no special law for motorcycles on this. And the left is the most dangerous part of the road. I ALWAYS ride my motorcycle to the right and will continue to (I am sure as hell never "slower traffic").

You did the right thing showing the cop the law, but if he is going to play, "Who has the biggest dick?" you have two choices: Either pay him, or say, let's go to the police station and speak with your supervisor (and be willing to do it). If you have no time, you have to pay.

When they get your license in their hands, it gives them power. Here is a ploy I use. I made copies of my license (front and back) and laminated them. If cop asks me for my license, I hand him the copy and show him the real one. They do not like it, but you keep the power. I went to the police station with a cop on this and NOTHING happened to me (Cop: Give it to me or we will go to police station. Me: Let's go.). But here's what happened to HIM: He had to do a lot of paperwork and he was off the street for a couple of hours. Now this was a guy who was working the left turn lane at the Victory Monument Intersection in Bangkok. Can you imagine how many thousands in pocketed fines this guy lost out on while he was screwing around with me? He got hurt.

It is rare that Thai police even mess with me. I think they have learned that farangs don't play the mai bpen rai game and are simply too much trouble. Let's keep up the training program. You might martyr yourself by losing a couple of hours going to a police station, but that cop won't be as likely to bother the next farang when Thais are such easy money.

Don't forget that unlike in the US when you want to wring a cop's neck and let him know it, here, you should smile the entire time, act happy and be respectful. Don't act angry, indignant or stressed (like I did on the occasion of my above-described trip to the police station). Acting right is 90% of the game. After having figured this out, I seldom ever have any problem with Thai police. I smile, speak little Thai, ask them how they are today, and they always wave me on.

I was convinced i was right until people posted 35

Section 35 (400-1000B)

The driver of a truck, passenger vehicle, motorcycle, vehicle of low speed or traveling at lower speed than those of other vehicles moving in the same direction, shall keep to the curbside of the roadway as close as possible.

If such a roadway is divided into two or more traffic lanes in the same direction or has a bus lane specifically arranged on the left-hand side, the driver shall drive the vehicle in the outermost left-hand side lane or close to the bus lane, as the case may be.

To me it clearly reads that they single out motorcycles and trucks and buses and then name the rest of low speed traffic (after having specifically named motorcycles) and tell them to all stay left. This is after law 34 so it is a refinement of the general law.

Please tell me how you read this law without it I would agree.

• Like 2

The Law is same as in any other country, keep to left in general,

use fast right lane for overtake or when you approach a turn/u-turn.

WHY ELSE WOULD AN INTERNATIONAL DL BE VALID ??!!

Then we have the police-scum of Thailand interpretation,

its easier to stop and scam the drivers if they stay in left lane, so enforce that stand,

preferably with a fine of some shiny money

Well it's different in the US and Canada (and most of the rest of the world -- you Brits are a minority on this one). Unlike here, you have to keep right, and use the left lane for overtaking! The International License cover a lot of scenarios.