Staying left for bikes (again)

robblok

As stated by the law, "ALL VEHICLES" at low speed should be on the left, and not blocking high speed traffic on the fast lane on the right.

Altho in most situations, the traffic will be slow and you could be driving on the right lane. which is fine according to the law! The law applies to speed, not by car type.

The real police in black uniform will not fine you for that as long as you are not riding a 100cc scooter at 70km/h on the right lane of rama 9.

The "traffic assistants" which wear brown uniform, will try to take as much money from you, they will show a list with fine prices

By law, you MUST NOT pay any money to any police on the road, only at the police station. He cannot make you pay right there.

Dont be scared, just refuse to pay. he will let you go, because you have not committed any infraction. happened to me like 15 times already. (I paid only the first 3 times)

The real "Traffic police" will take your license and give you ticket if you have committed an infraction such as riding on bridges. You will have to go to the police station, pay your fine then get your license back.

Edited by brfsa2

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The left lanes are dangerous as hell... I avoid at all costs... there are always stupid idiots coming out of nowhere, turning left without signaling, braking hard and cutting in front of you like you are a pot hole.

so many of my friends has been cut by cars and had accidents on the left lanes...

as long as you drive fast enough, the law allows to ride on the right lane.

The left lanes are dangerous as hell... I avoid at all costs... there are always stupid idiots coming out of nowhere, turning left without signaling, braking hard and cutting in front of you like you are a pot hole.

so many of my friends has been cut by cars and had accidents on the left lanes...

Not arguing here about safety and I will keep on riding in the left lane too as I dont want to end up dead. I just want to know how to interpret rule nr 35 as it is clear they single out motorcycles.

Not arguing here about safety and I will keep on riding in the left lane too as I dont want to end up dead. I just want to know how to interpret rule nr 35 as it is clear they single out motorcycles.

yes, totally understand you... I should not advice to ride fast on the third lane.

to be safe, it's better to ride slowly and careful on the left. no risk of dying in a high speed crash, and don't have to deal with police...

The corrupt police always win.

There is no correct way to interpret the law number 35, as the police will always pick with motorcycles.

Edited by brfsa2

yes, totally understand you... I should not advice to ride fast on the third lane.

to be safe, it's better to ride slowly and careful on the left. no risk of dying in a high speed crash, and don't have to deal with police...

The corrupt police always win.

There is no correct way to interpret the law number 35, as the police will always pick with motorcycles.

Sorry I mean i wanted to say keep on riding on the right.. you are right about safety and I see it your way. I rather pay a bit at times then get killed.

Its simple, You are always right to use right lane while overtaking,

it is in fact against the law to overtake on the sidewalk,

so then the question is obvious:

is a motorcyclist prohibited from overtaking at all ? tractors, elephants and whatnot ?

ed, and i suggested this before: buy a pen camera and record when you deal with'em

ed2, tell them to show their ID card, that alone signal you will defend yourself from thievery

'sedaeng bat tam road I-D'

Edited by poanoi

I ALWAYS ride my motorcycle to the right and will continue to (I am sure as hell never "slower traffic").

Same here & I guess we may be more fortunate in CM but never been stopped.

I too would never ride the left unless forced to for some reason.

I'm not dealing with all the nuts who pull out. pull in or open doors suddenly etc.

I must have been stopped for this left lane shit atleast 20 times or more but have never paid and never had a ticket, i Just argue that they are wrong and tell if they produce their id i will hand over my licence and accept a ticket,

On occasion even after being asked to leave i have tried demanding their id and a ticket...mostly they just walk away from their crime scene,

As i read the law it includes just about any vehicle on the road but maintains that overtaking should be done on the right but the police try to claim that motorcycles should stay in the left lane only, they use it as a cash cow...nothing more,

They know they are wrong and will back down, regardless of what they are because of their criminal activities and do have a guilt complex.

Agree fully with you Rob- It is a stupid law interpreted to make tea money. I to would rather get the ticket to pay then die because some shit for brains decides to drive 20 in the left lane while traffic is doing 50kpk. Or maybe the fools driving down the sidewalk & merging into the left lane without looking before they Kamikaze into you. When I last got yanked over in Ban Ampur(20 kilos from Pattaya) the cop told me it is OK to weave like a fool if I am passing & go back to the left lane & repeat over & over opposed to what would seem normal to be in the faster lane with the flow of traffic. No ticket for my maneuver. In the U.S. you are up for a definite pull over & a possible drug-alcohol test for driving unsafe. Still worth paying a fine than being dead or maimed. Now I just play aloof & pretend I didn't see the waive-over. I am finding turning the eyes from the heat works the best.

The overtaking rule is a legit one. I have been stopped and let go when it was obvious I was overtaking a slow moving truck. But the police usually do these road blocks at a time of day when the traffic isn't so bad and the left lane is moving along quite well. You can have no argument, the law does say to keep left for motorcycles, trucks and buses.

Anyway, don't get upset about it. If I have to pay a 200B fine 2-3 times a year for the privilege of riding my bike how I want, then it's a small price to pay compared to the draconian laws most of us are subjected to back home. So don't complain about it, rejoice in it. And as for the guy that would spend 2-3 hours in a police station rather than pay 200B, well that's just dumb.

"But the police usually do these road blocks at a time of day when the traffic isn't so bad and the left lane is moving along quite well."

When ? Where ?

I really want to know, where is this place located in Thailand ?

But, what time are you referring to ?

Edited by poanoi

I went to the local highway police station and quizzed an apparently high ranking highway police officer today on both my topics.

Staying left: motorcycles are required to stay as much left as possible at all times but are allowed to overtake slow vehicles.

Motorcycles on highways: motorcycles are not allowed on highways regardless of their size.

^

Highways or tollways?

Tollways for sure. Highways in certain places. For example on highways like Rama II or BangNa-Trat, bikes are expected to stick to the frontage road. At least until a fair distance from Bangkok and the frontage rd disappears. Most big bikes sensibly use highways regardless.

I went to the local highway police station and quizzed an apparently high ranking highway police officer today on both my topics.

Staying left: motorcycles are required to stay as much left as possible at all times but are allowed to overtake slow vehicles.

Motorcycles on highways: motorcycles are not allowed on highways regardless of their size.

All vehicles are rquired to keep left, except when overtaking, for a U-turn, etc.

There's no difference except for tollways, where 2 wheel arent allowed

Edited by poanoi

IF the road is pretty straight I go on the right when I open the taps a little bit. However here from CR lets say to Lampang, 2 lanes only and the left lane is so f...ed up by lorries its impossible to drive even at 60kps without causing some damage to your bike and comfort.

On a 2 lane hwy I always stay in a car lane, I ride faster than the average car/pickup but when I see someone riding my a$$, I pull over to the left and let them pass. On a newer 2 lane Hwys, the left bike lane is actually pretty wide so I ride it when no traffic on it. Also on the older Hwys I noticed very often the bike line is in better condition than the main line... go figure.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Robblok

Many posters here big on macho strutting and disrespecting cops but nothing on answering your pertinent question regarding section 35.

It seems there is an outdated law the police are using to maintain a steady income flow.

I used to live in Bangkok and must have been pulled up about a zillion times for not being in the left lane. The only excuse the cops listened to was I was preparing to turn right. Usually they positioned their road blocks where there was no right turn up ahead.

Moved to Chonburi and not pulled for it once. Can you move to Chonburi? Didn't you use to live here?

Robblok

Many posters here big on macho strutting and disrespecting cops but nothing on answering your pertinent question regarding section 35.

It seems there is an outdated law the police are using to maintain a steady income flow.

I used to live in Bangkok and must have been pulled up about a zillion times for not being in the left lane. The only excuse the cops listened to was I was preparing to turn right. Usually they positioned their road blocks where there was no right turn up ahead.

Moved to Chonburi and not pulled for it once. Can you move to Chonburi? Didn't you use to live here?

I don't disrespect cops, many of them might be taking bribes and such but still its foolish to disrespect them. I have had good dealings with them when we were in an accident with the car. They were polite / professional, same when I had a bike accident instead of blaming me others were blamed too. I hate to tar them all with the same brush. Seems a lot of guys absolutely fear / hate / loathe Thai males cops included

This rule I don't follow because its dangerous, I wish there was a big Thai biking lobby with some power to get this crazy rule scrapped the normal rules are good enough. Slow moving bikes should not be in fast traffic but if you can keep up there is no problem.

I have never lived in Conburi but I visit friends in Pattaya sometimes, its a bit hard to move as i got a home here with my wife though for her Pattaya would not be bad. She is a Bangkok based tourguide that spends loads of time in Pattaya with clients. We might even if we really wanted too get a condo there or something like that.

I don't live in the heart of BKK but more in Nonthaburi.

Robblok

Many posters here big on macho strutting and disrespecting cops

You serious? Disrespecting cops? Thai cops? How long have you been here? If there was ever an organization worthy of disrespect, it's the Thai police. Thieves in uniform, as my ex used to refer to them.

Someone's in need of a reality attack.facepalm.gif

Edited by H1w4yR1da
  • Like 2

You forgot section 35 which clearly says motorcycles on the left, just like trucks and buses.

Section 35

'The driver of a truck, passenger vehicle, MOTORCYCLE, vehicle of low speed or traveling at lower speed than those of other vehicles moving in the same direction should keep to the kerbside of the roadway or as close as possible.

If such a roadway is divided in to two or more traffic lanes in the same direction or has a bus lane specifically arranged on the left hand side, the driver shall drive the vehicle in the outermost left hand side lane or as close to the bus lane, as the case may be.'

It is an outdated law and perhaps a silly one, nevertheless it is the law and you can have no argument.

If its the law its the law, haven't seen that law here before.

Yep, its a law. No need to call the thai police names for enforcing it. And if you don't want to pay tea money for driving in the wrong lane you are free to do so. Just pay the full price and be happy smile.png

Edited by wantan

You forgot section 35 which clearly says motorcycles on the left, just like trucks and buses.

Section 35

'The driver of a truck, passenger vehicle, MOTORCYCLE, vehicle of low speed or traveling at lower speed than those of other vehicles moving in the same direction should keep to the kerbside of the roadway or as close as possible.

If such a roadway is divided in to two or more traffic lanes in the same direction or has a bus lane specifically arranged on the left hand side, the driver shall drive the vehicle in the outermost left hand side lane or as close to the bus lane, as the case may be.'

It is an outdated law and perhaps a silly one, nevertheless it is the law and you can have no argument.

My guess is that the above is an approximative translation of the law.

Any pointers to the original thai text?

Yep, its a law. No need to call the thai police names for enforcing it. And if you don't want to pay tea money for driving in the wrong lane you are free to do so. Just pay the full price and be happy smile.png

No need to call the Thai police names? Are you having a laugh or just a total wannabe?

Now as to paying tea money or the full price, how about neither? Riders on big bikes don't stop for the mafia!

I just got stopped last week for driving on the 3rd lane...

they took my license and I had to pay a 400Baht fine at the police station. I was so pissed, when I left the place I went all the way back to the 3rd lane making noise.

I really so sick of Thai police, they are a bunch of corrupt crockoaches.

THEN, I went to the police station to get my license back and pay the 400 baht for the "infraction". it was one of those cabins under the bridge. Obviously NOT a police station,

well, then, when I was waiting for the cop to come back with license from "another police station"

The cop there went outside, stopped a car, collected his money, went back inside as if it was a normal routine, SO FAST and so smooth, as if he had done it all day long.

Amazing to be there and see how they do it.

This is Thailand and it will NEVER change, police will be corrupt all the time... Now I days I just don't carry my license anymore, because either I pay 100 baht there to the police or pay 400 baht at the police station which is also not a real ticket. The less money I give to those crockoaches, the better...

so we are better off with the "Sorry, no have license" and give the 100 baht there.

what can we farang do? Nothing!!! except to accept this corrupt society and move along...

btw, I would never grow my kids here...

Section 35

Enforcing which LAW? a low that DOES not exist?

obviously you have no clue what you are talking, or you grow up with parents teaching you that bribe and corruption are OK.

did you mom teach you to make fake laws and make foreigners pay bribe money?

Section 35

Enforcing which LAW? a low that DOES not exist?

obviously you have no clue what you are talking, or you grow up with parents teaching you that bribe and corruption are OK.

did you mom teach you to make fake laws and make foreigners pay bribe money?

That you are pissed I understand but its still not clear if section 35 is the one that allows them to pull over bikes. I am having a native Thai reader going to check it for me. I understand the police is corrupt and its about moneymaking and not safety but if it is the law.. (and I will keep breaking it too) Its justified.

• Like 1