Visa run to Laos with a bike.

DrAzTiK

Hi there :)

I live in Chiang Mai and I have to go Ventiane in 2 weeks for my VISA run. I would like to make the trip with my bike. (RkV200)

I have purchased my bike 2 month ago (buy new) but unfortunately I still don't have the green book/ plate and so I think I will not be able to go cross the border with my bike.

The best thing to do in my opinion is to go to Nong Khai and try to park my bike near the border.

Do you know if there is a secure parking near the border ?

Can you give me some advices about the best itinerary ? I am not in hurry and I can do the trip in 2-3 days, maybe more :)

I wouldn't leave a new bike in any freestanding parking spot, "secure' or not. If it were me, I would research a friendly guest house in Nong Khai, have a meal there when I arrive, chat up the owner if it looks suitable, then do a deal to leave my bike for the duration, for a small fee if necessary.

There's secure parking at the border that costs 50 baht a day, I've parked my bike there many times without problems. If your worried about doing that just spend the night at a foreign friendly guesthouse and and ask it you can leave the bike there while you're in Laos, most will let you.

A good route to take would be Chiang Mai, Lampang, Wang Chin, Sri Satchanalai, Uttaradit, Nakorn Thai, Dan Sai, Loei, Chiang Khan, and follow the river to Nong Khai. Enjoy.

I agree with all posts, many if not all uesthouses and hotels do not mind if you leave your bike with them for a few days. Some may charge a nominal fee but its good to know your bike is relatively safe by doing so. Enjoy your trip and let us know how your bike stood up to 'the test'.

Thanks you very much for all these good advices :) I will let you aware about my trip !

A good route to take would be Chiang Mai, Lampang, Wang Chin, Sri Satchanalai, Uttaradit, Nakorn Thai, Dan Sai, Loei, Chiang Khan, and follow the river to Nong Khai. Enjoy.

Humm ok !

Check out the Mut Mee gh, safe area and a good place to hang outfor a day or two. I live in Nong Khai and would not use the secure parking near the bridge. Just saying. See and hear more problems then some.

Nong Khai Reskrt by the train statikn is also nice , has a pool but not the same atmosphere.

All will provide parking.