Where to find REAL pepperoni?

RaysFan

Where can I find REAL pepperoni? Not "spicy Italian salami". I dont care what anyone says, its not the same. Its night and day. And I'm tired of pizza places using spicy Italian salami and calling it pepperoni. Anyways, I havent seen it in any of the big box stores, although I havent searched very hard yet. Anyone seen the real deal around CM?

• Like 2

I don't know if it is real pepperoni but I bought a roll at Makro here in Nonthaburi which also has salami. it is made in Thailand. I use it when I make my own pizza. You have to slice it thin as it can be a little tough and chewy if too thick.

Edited by puyaidon

There is no such thing as "real italian pepperoni" as it's and Italian-American variety of salimoni piccante(spelling) which roughly translates to spicy italian sausage. Peperoni in Italy, with one "p", is bell pepper or capisicum.

• Like 2

I have had it in a few restaurants, so it must be available. I am pretty sure that the Duke's is one of them.

Dave (Duke's Restaurant) may have a source for our "real" pepperoni.

Can any customers confirm that Duke's uses pepperoni on its pizzas?

I don't think so. Sergio only sells that Italian crap. tongue.png

This is reminiscent of the Kraft Mac & Cheese debate.

"No, no, you misunderstand, I know it's horrific over-processed crap that contains every unhealthy substance known to mankind, but, you see, that's *exactly* what I'm looking for."

Makro has a nice roll , 680.-THB for 1 kilo.

Tops and Rimping have it at 1,140 baht a kilo. If I have to take a tuk tuk to Makro to shop I pay for the trip with just the one item.

Also sold here as "chorizo", which bears no resemblance whatever to the Mexican chorizo (I would love to find).

I have bought chorizo at Makro. Not being an expert on it I don.t know if it was Mexican or not I just know I will not buy it again. I don't see how one could compare it to Pepperoni. Not even close.

This was supposed to be a multiple post not sure how they managed it but they eliminated the name of the two original posters. Sorry about that.

Edited by hellodolly

I have had it in a few restaurants, so it must be available. I am pretty sure that the Duke's is one of them.

Their menu states that they have pepperoni for a pizza topping, italian sausage too.

Their menu states that they have pepperoni for a pizza topping, italian sausage too.

It's on Duke's menu, but is the REAL pepperoni on Duke's pizza? Where does he get it?

It's on Duke's menu, but is the REAL pepperoni on Duke's pizza? Where does he get it?

Why don't you ask him?

I checked Makro Hang Dong today, no love. But they run out of things all the time. I have not had the pizza at Duke's yet, but if any American has ordered a pepperoni pizza from there, they would know if it was real pepperoni with just a glance...

This is reminiscent of the Kraft Mac & Cheese debate.

When an American is looking for REAL pepperoni, they don't want spicy Italian salami. I understand completely.

And chorizo originates from Mexico.....not Spain?

There is Spanish chorizo, Mexican chorizo, Basque chorio, Portuguese chorizo, even Chamorro chorizo (found in Micronesia!)

"Real Italian Pepperoni" (sliced), not "Spicy Italian Salami," is available at all Rimping branches. Cost 1,400 Baht per kg.

This is according to Rimping (Customer Relations).

Kenny - let us know if it's the real deal!

I believe it is 1,140 baht a kilogram as the sliced is 114baht a 100 grams. Well it was last Friday at the Rimping in Promenada.

Also at tops today. They both sell the same brand as Mackro.Only difference is they slice it for you and you don't have to buy the whole stick. Still it is only about 680 baht a kilo at Mackro.

• 1 month later...

FYI I have been searching for the real American Style pepperoni too. My favorite happens to be the pizza company style pepperoni. I love it. I contacted their corporate office and guess what??> It's imported Hormel Pepperoni. ! I asked if I could purchase directly from them and they said no. 027908000 is the phone number if anyone else wants to give it a try! I have also contacted hormel in the US to see if there are any distributors close. This is the furthest I've gotten so far. Anyone with any more information please contact me. I also did a search for hormel in thailand and DKSH came up. I already contacted them and they do not help distribute Hormel products. Though there are tons of articles about it online. lol

Thanks!

Now heres a deal for you ! ! !

If its 1400 B P K at Rimping or Tops, you go to Makro and buy the 680 Baht Roll

Come to me and I'll slice it for you for ONLY 150 BPK ...... 680 + 150 = 830 Bht...... You save 570 Baht.

Why you can even suggest the thickness..... Choose the right thickness and your Makro Roll may even end up more than a kilo

Such a Deal

Ahhhh, I did end up finding it at Makro.... It taste pretty good, ALMOST like home. I am now serving real pepperoni pizza though, been receiving a lot of compliments on it. I myself have probably eaten 10 pepperoni pizzas since Ive purchased it hahaha, so much for "dont smoke your stash"....

Now heres a deal for you ! ! !

If its 1400 B P K at Rimping or Tops, you go to Makro and buy the 680 Baht Roll

Come to me and I'll slice it for you for ONLY 150 BPK ...... 680 + 150 = 830 Bht...... You save 570 Baht.

Why you can even suggest the thickness..... Choose the right thickness and your Makro Roll may even end up more than a kilo

Such a Deal

Sounds like a deal to me. I like the pepper sausage but not to thick. The wife can't cut it thin enough for me. On the other hand a piece about one inch thick is a nice snack to nibble on while watching some thing on the boob tube.

I like it thin enough that I can put it on a sandwich with some thing else such as cheese and--------------

fill in your favorites. Not to good for my cholesterol though.sad.png

"Real Italian Pepperoni" (sliced), not "Spicy Italian Salami," is available at all Rimping branches. Cost 1,400 Baht per kg.

This is according to Rimping (Customer Relations).

Kenny - let us know if it's the real deal!

The "pepperoni" at Rimping (Nim City) is mislabeled - it's spicy Italian salami. Pepperoni Lovers beware!