Experience with Keeway Superlight 200 or TXM ?

Dogbreath

I know this is an old thread, but is the Keeway TMX200 still holding up? How many km's do owners here have now?

Saw one today in Bangkok and it looked kind of cool. Looks like a good bike to tinker with and bring to the beach.

I name the X-CROSS - "Lilly the Pink." Anyone English over the age of 45 may remember that song. The X- CROSS i had scrathed very easy. Cheap ( "second generation" plastics) , otherwise superb value at 46,000 baht. I can see you dont pamper your bikes , and they seem to be holding up very well. Good buys.

Is that because the frame is like Scaffold?

You can call me a hater but I am skeptical of the longevity of these bikes because it is near impossible to see an old Chinese bike anywhere. When is the last time you saw a 5 year old Chinese bike? 10 year? I never have in my 15 years of riding.

It sounds like you guys have some decent bikes but I'd rather pay more and not have to worry about it. Maybe in 10 years I will be more willing to try one.

Edited by ttakata

I've had my TXM for 2 years now, but it only has about 4900 km on it. Still runs perfect and looks new. No rust anywhere. I broke it in hard and ride it hard. I live right on a very busy and fast two-lane highway. I have adjusted the valves. Very easy to do on this bike. Now running semi-synthetic oil in it. Handling is good and the ride is rock-solid at 100kph. Factory-installed: oil cooler, LED tail light, upside-down forks, mono shock rear suspension, front and rear disk- brakes and rear rack.

You can call me a hater but I am skeptical of the longevity of these bikes because it is near impossible to see an old Chinese bike anywhere. When is the last time you saw a 5 year old Chinese bike? 10 year? I never have in my 15 years of riding.

It sounds like you guys have some decent bikes but I'd rather pay more and not have to worry about it. Maybe in 10 years I will be more willing to try one.

Love your post!

Minimal market penetration here by the Chinese bikes over the past 5-20 years ago may explain the paucity of 5 year old examples sighted by you.

You seem to be discounting the possibility that you may have unwittingly gazed on a 5 y.o. Chike in the past?

If you saw a Chike that was 4 years old would you be able to tell it from a 5 y.o. one?

Good stuff.

Edited by papa al

I can understand people assuming a "Honda" , even though their made in Thailand / India / Brazil etc , will last longer than a "Generic" bike , as there is more Hondas on the road . What they havent reconed on is that Honda has been selling bikes for many many ( 50 ? ) years in Thailand . Generic bikes are a very recent addition ( and a very welcome one ) .Some people , whether they are rich or not , choose to only spend a small amount on a road bike , or a fun off-road bike , prefering to allocate their funds elsewhere , in areas they give higher priorty . For some people , using the bikes for local run-arounds , a expensive bike cant be justified for such small mileage ( kilometeredge ? ). I doubht the Keeway / Lifan / Platinum models etc , will last as long ( lets wait 10 years , shall we ? ) as a Kawasaki D Tracker . It also costs 3 times less . Such a small initial outlay means the Baht per year depreciation is also less . The bike also isnt as good ! . Cant have it both ways , perhaps . If they then decide they like this "motorcycle hobbylark " then ( wife / GF allowing ) they can spend more on a better bike . These are the first bikes for many , so its a tentative " dipping a toe in the water " moment .

I've got a Keeway 250cc cruiser and it's got only 2000km's on it and I'm happy with it.

Takes two Europeans up and down Patong Hill without any problem. Very comfortable compared with most scooters. It is in the same configuration as bikes I have at home so I don't have to adjust to ride it.

Didn't want to tie up too much money in a bike so if any problems arose here I could either give the bike to a Thai friend or just leave it here.

Service from Stallions in Phuket has been great on this bike and my previous one. Went in last week for oil change and occasionally the rear brake didn't disengage (front & rear disc brakes). Found the actuating valve was faulty, replaced that, found water in carbs and cleared that and of course did the service and oil change. 2 1/2 hours and they presented me with a bill for B300 which covered the oil.

I've got a Keeway 250cc cruiser and it's got only 2000km's on it and I'm happy with it.

Takes two Europeans up and down Patong Hill without any problem. Very comfortable compared with most scooters. It is in the same configuration as bikes I have at home so I don't have to adjust to ride it.

Didn't want to tie up too much money in a bike so if any problems arose here I could either give the bike to a Thai friend or just leave it here.

Hi, I too have a new Keeway 250cc. The local dealer called it an RKV 250. I haven't found it on the web, but a similar configuration to my BM 800 twin I had back in Australia. The RKV 200 seat height is just too low for my height ( about 5' 10") so I opted for this bike. Spoked wheels and 19" on the front and 17" rear wheels. A very good combination for off road riding. I've done just under 1000kms so far, no problems except similar to the above, the rear disc brakes heated up badly and locked the rear wheel. The pads weren't opening on the two sliders, just a bit of WD40 and a brisk shake and twist of the callipers fixed that.

Another thing I found for my riding was the gear ratio was a little low for me, mainly cruising and riding around town. I exchanged the 13 tooth front sprocket for a 14 tooth one.

And another thing is the air filter "box" is not air tight which I still have to attend to.

So, while the bike may need some some tinkering with when you first get it, I could buy three of these for the price of another similar bike that has a good reputation. I am optimistic. post-192252-14335582767658_thumb.jpgpost-192252-14335583411839_thumb.jpg

Perhaps I'm wrong, but seems that few people keep bikes 10 years?

Anybody?

yeah i know i'm a bit weird...

T140 Triumph bought new in '79, that's owned for 36 years.

Guzzi Cali III bought S/H in '96. that's owned 19 years.

No intention of selling either, ever. Son get's them when i've popped my clogs.

Several bikes i've regretted selling, my rigid 650 iron head Triumph combo, my rigid '53 6T with Hollywood/Marlon paperwork, my 1060cc Triumph drag bike, my immaculate Montesa 247 Cota........., especially the Montesa....

Oh, i forgot, another bike i REALLY REALLY regretted selling, my 2001 V11 Sport Guzzi. That bugs me to this day.

Back on topic, still thinking of buying a Lifan 200 Cross thingey, modifying it severely (i hate plastics), to use off road here on the farm and nipping into town with. If i bought one, resale values does not enter the equation. Just another bike for my lad when i'm gone...

I like them because they are;

# air cooled not water cooled

# have a carb and not FI

# have pushrods and no fangled OHC and chain

# have a k/start as well as thumb start.

Itchintogo , welcome to the fold thumbsup.gif . Your bike is a Keeway XY 250 A Adventure . Imported by M-Bike .Try looking up keeway-thailand.com , or M Bike motor sales co.,ltd. It seems to be a slightly up-graded version of the Keeway TX 200 Enduro . Costs slightly more than the 200,s 59,900 Baht . ENJOY ! . EDIT I think youve missed a trick with that wicker-work top box . Should have had the "Guchi" handbag colored version .Top cool points , for sure cheesy.gif

Edited by ktm jeff

I can understand people assuming a "Honda" , even though their made in Thailand / India / Brazil etc , will last longer than a "Generic" bike , as there is more Hondas on the road . What they havent reconed on is that Honda has been selling bikes for many many ( 50 ? ) years in Thailand . Generic bikes are a very recent addition ( and a very welcome one ) .Some people , whether they are rich or not , choose to only spend a small amount on a road bike , or a fun off-road bike , prefering to allocate their funds elsewhere , in areas they give higher priorty . For some people , using the bikes for local run-arounds , a expensive bike cant be justified for such small mileage ( kilometeredge ? ). I doubht the Keeway / Lifan / Platinum models etc , will last as long ( lets wait 10 years , shall we ? ) as a Kawasaki D Tracker . It also costs 3 times less . Such a small initial outlay means the Baht per year depreciation is also less . The bike also isnt as good ! . Cant have it both ways , perhaps . If they then decide they like this "motorcycle hobbylark " then ( wife / GF allowing ) they can spend more on a better bike . These are the first bikes for many , so its a tentative " dipping a toe in the water " moment .

I agree. I've had my KLR for 9 years now and my DL1000 for eight, but since I cannot import them to Thailand, the TXM looks like a great deal for a beach runaround bike. It's large enough for me to feel comfortable on it and for around 60,000 baht it's about all I want to spend on a bike that I won't be putting much km on.

Edited by steve654

• 9 months later...

Hi all, I would like to share my experiences, about Keeway. I own a Keeway Blackster, 250 cc. I have ride nearly 5.000 km, since August 2015.

I bought this bike, by the price (90.000 THB) and the size of the bike. The Blackster, is more convenient, compared with Honda Hantom, for Farang sized humans.

Over all, I am very satisfied, about my Keeway blackster. The engine, is a clone of the Yamaha 250 cc (license). Spare parts can be exchanged, between the 2 brands. This 250 cc engine, has direct fuel injection, which makes the bike, fuel saving (40 km/liter). Speed is 130 km/h (top), but, not nice to drive this speed.

Between 60-100 km/h, is a nice, relaxing speed.

There are lacks, with Keeway. All screws and bolts has to be tightened well, first!

Ti, to buy the bike,from a reliable shop, who is able, to do maintenance, on professional way. Second is, protect all chrome, against rust.

Mechanical problems I faced, was the fuel sensor (direct fuel injection), failed for 2 times, within 5.000 km. All has fixed by the shop, for free.

General; Keeway Blackster, is a good bike, reliable and cheap with fuel use.

Thereby, very stable, strong and disk brakes, in front and rear (very well doing the job).