American Style Breakfast?

NCC1701A

I've only been out for breakfast one time in 6 years of living in C.M. (much too easy to make at home) and that was at Butter is Better. It was first-class and highly recommended. Some of the items in the photos of the 2 places mentioned above look absolutely terrible; most likely smothered in palm oil. I have also given up on breakfast buffets at hotels on the islands and other beach resorts. Like has been said above, fried rice, cheap quality hot dogs, toasted white bread, and eggs smothered in palm oil along with the fruit nowhere else will will buy is what they serve.

I also bring my own coffee when I go to the islands and make it in my room with the travel set-up I bring. Some of the coffee they offer is cheap freeze-dried crystals. I have to have decent coffee to start my day.smile.png

Edited by elektrified
  • Like 1

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if you are looking for "American style" omelette good luck to you. Most omelettes I find here are Thai style. Meaning fried in a pot of oil. Not folded over and stuffed with goodies. I am sure they are available but it will be the exception. If you are considering sausage, be prepared for a hot dog. A small one at that. You would probably be better off as someone has mentioned to make breakfast at home, then go out for coffee and people watching.

How bizarre. I have not seen omelette's prepared such as you describe, and your description does not sound good. Here in Pattaya all omelette's are fixed the American way that you described.

Well if you are looking for "American style" omelette good luck to you. Most omelettes I find here are Thai style. Meaning fried in a pot of oil. Not folded over and stuffed with goodies. I am sure they are available but it will be the exception. If you are considering sausage, be prepared for a hot dog. A small one at that. You would probably be better off as someone has mentioned to make breakfast at home, then go out for coffee and people watching.

How bizarre. I have not seen omelette's prepared such as you describe, and your description does not sound good. Here in Pattaya all omelette's are fixed the American way that you described.

But this is C.M., not Pattaya. Things are different.

Well if you are looking for "American style" omelet good luck to you. Most omelets I find here are Thai style. Meaning fried in a pot of oil. Not folded over and stuffed with goodies. I am sure they are available but it will be the exception. If you are considering sausage, be prepared for a hot dog. A small one at that. You would probably be better off as someone has mentioned to make breakfast at home, then go out for coffee and people watching.

This is not Sin City but operantly the op has Not had an omelet from Gecko Gardens or Butter is Better.

Add the Pun Pun onto my list. It has very manly food, not an effeminate health food type place. I forgot about it because it is across the river and takes some time to get there on my bicycle.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Bier Stube has the best value in town, two eggs, whole wheat toast, bacon , homefries, orange juice and coffee for 95 baht

But what a dismal place to spend breakfast time. sad.png

Perhaps but inside it gets you away from the hustle and bussle of Moon Muang and I enjoy spreading the newspaper out on their large tables to read, and eat my breakfast at the same time. To each his own.

Edited by habfan

Wot.....No Beans (Heinz) eggy bread (aka French/Gipsy Toast) Porridge (with salt) Kippers/smokkies.lava bread or Pancakes with golden syrup.....

suppose its back to the Muesli...yuch

I always thought an American breakfast was a bowl of Cap'n Crunch. Anyway, it was when I was growing up. (Would still be if I could find the stuff in Japan/Thailand.) Those American and English breakfasts makes me feel ill. Who wants all that greasy crap first thing in the morning? (Or anytime, really.) Sheesh...

Edited by Dararasmi
  • Like 1

I quite like the omelette in o'malleys in the night market. That's 130 baht including toast tea or coffee. Smoothie blues is a great breakfast place in nimman road but it is a little more expensive.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Funny no one mentioned the UN Irish pub.

Last time I was there we were walking to the car heading west on the same side of the road just down a little ways and we saw a cafe with a menu outside that looked really inviting.

I like a little hole in the wall cafe called Sunie right next door to the Verachie court.

Sorry about the spelling

It is located on a soi that runs from Tha Phae road to Changmoi road. If you are walking on Tha Phae road from AIS towards the moat it would be the first Soi on the right.

The owner cook is not over weight and she learned how to cook in Hawaii from her mother in law. I believe she is the only one in Thailand who knows how to cook fried potatoes properly.

cook fried potatoes properly I am surprised that you have even found one smile.png

What makes an breakfast American?

Must it have heartattack side effects?

Must it just be a lot of food but greasy?

Must the cook be a overweighted individual?

Just curious!

It definitely doesn't have baked beans like its English cousin...but to answer your last 3 questions, both versions fit the bill.

The Hideaway off 108 - turn at the BIG SCM bank and go in about a kilometer their dairy on one corner & the eatery across the street more or less facing you (left side) also has garden seating/dining - they have a full - separate breakfast menu.....they also have another one in town if you google them they are shown together. Variety of good menu items..

Bake and bite is another good choice.....a couple of those around too.....

Edited by pgrahmm

I suggest The Garden Restaurant opposite the old Inter Inn guest house, turn at the soi alongside Flight of the Gibbon office on Kotchasarn and proceed down the very narrow soi for about 300 meters. They make excellent breakfasts, based on quality NOT quantity - far better than any i ever experienced whilst living in the USA. The Eggs Benedict come highly recommended.

• Like 1

YEAH, Yeah, I know, self praise stinks, but whats a guy to do, when all his former friends forget him ???? whistling.gifwink.png

[besides this is not praise, its promoting]

We have been an ' American Style Restaurant' for over 17 years now and like to think we have real American style prepared food. In other words , breakfast that is food to 'EAT' not take photos of for Better Homes and Garden type mags.

This Breakfast, the Chicken Fried Superman Breakfast is currently only 195 Baht. Other full American Breakfasts at almost half that price.

CFSuper12Jun13.jpg

If you are new to the area, stop by for a chit/chat. Maybe we can help wear off some of the new-ness. In any event welcome to Chiang Mai.

P S Identify yourself with your Thai Visa nic and also receive a 10% discount.

The Pun Pun Guesthouse and Restaurant

G

Sorry to be critical but...that's looks like a respectable attempt but still lacking IMHO. Onions and green peppers in home fries is not what I grew up with...and I like my home fries a little bit undercooked. The chicken fried steak (not chicken) is best when it's a large, single piece and smothered in a heavier gravy, plus the fried batter crust looks a little too much for my personal taste. And serving a toasted baguette just doesn't cut it for me...either only quality toasted white or wheat bread will do (except for those who prefer some fluffy buttermilk pancakes). Oh, and the coffee must be free-flowing...no one cup limit.

I don't miss many foods from the States but a quality American breakfast and a 20-24 oz. one-inch thick American (or Costa Rican or Argentine would suffice) beef T-bone steak (that Aussie and Kiwi stuff just doesn't cut the grade) are two things I sorely miss after being here for 2 years. Still looking for both....

...from Born in Texas and Bred in Oklahoma.

Edited by morpho

Best I've found is Butter is Better, on Chang Khlan Road (the Night Bazaar) just south of the traffic light at Panthip Plaza, on your left before you get to the Shangri-La. Big plates of food, they even had scrapple for a while but I think they've discontinued that. And one free refill on coffee (not bottomless!). Also other comfort food like mac and cheese, and a great bakery. It's more than 99 baht, but not by much, with American diner-style booth seating.

It's firmly in the tourist area, but I absolutely love the breakfast at Ginny Place. A map can be found at the following link. http://www.iantaylor.org/cmginnyplace.html. It is the only place in Thailand I have eaten a breakfast when a touch of milk was obviously added to the eggs prior to scrabling to add a touch of American fluff to the eggs! I can't find any pictures other than those I have seen on Facebook, but I can tell you that I don't leave hungrym the owners are quite friendly and happy! It's cheap, it's authentically American rather than the generic 'ABF' term to describe what is usually anything but an American-style Breakfast.They have Australian and English styles as well! If ya need them baked beans, they have them! .

• Like 1

It's firmly in the tourist area, but I absolutely love the breakfast at Ginny Place. A map can be found at the following link. http://www.iantaylor.org/cmginnyplace.html. It is the only place in Thailand I have eaten a breakfast when a touch of milk was obviously added to the eggs prior to scrabling to add a touch of American fluff to the eggs! I can't find any pictures other than those I have seen on Facebook, but I can tell you that I don't leave hungrym the owners are quite friendly and happy! It's cheap, it's authentically American rather than the generic 'ABF' term to describe what is usually anything but an American-style Breakfast.They have Australian and English styles as well! If ya need them baked beans, they have them! .

yes!!! fluffy eggs was more than I was willing to hope for. :) thank you

really great info everybody! thanks!

Best I've found is Butter is Better, on Chang Khlan Road (the Night Bazaar) just south of the traffic light at Panthip Plaza, on your left before you get to the Shangri-La. Big plates of food, they even had scrapple for a while but I think they've discontinued that. And one free refill on coffee (not bottomless!). Also other comfort food like mac and cheese, and a great bakery. It's more than 99 baht, but not by much, with American diner-style booth seating.

I would be surprised if many people could drink more than 2 cups of their coffee which are served in a large cup. It is very strong! (but very good).

• Like 1