American Style Breakfast?

NCC1701A

Hi,

Just a quick one while on the subject of 'American Breakfast'--some of you will have been familiar with 'California Wraps', a sort of Thai Tex-Mex place at Kad Farang, where you could get several versions of an American breakfast--Home Fries, Eggs, Huge Omelette, Bacon, Sausage, Pancakes, French Toast, etc....--and all at pretty good prices, plus Mexican style Burritos, Enchilladas, Tacos, etc...--well, due to the forthcoming , so-called, Plaza being built at Kad farang, this little oasis has been forced to move out of Kad farang and has chosen to relocate to Macro, Hang Dong Road, second floor [ I wish them all the best].

So, as an alternative in that location, is the restaurant Rosewood--they have leapt into the void and are now open from 07.00 a.m. and are offering an American style breakfast--looks reasonable on the photo-menu--well, long story, but I tried this on opening day, today 01 August , and, my honest opinion is---sorry, just about the same as any other Thai-Style American breakfast, at 159 Baht, passable food, but not in any way an American Breakfast.[This could be teething troubles, I suppose, but somehow I am not convinced??]

Can't be the same place owned by the lady who lived in and had a business in California? I'm pretty sure she closed up years ago because of some family problems. Did she come back or sell the business/name? When she owned it the food was very good. Can't remember her name now.

No idea, this place has been open, in Kad Farang for about 5 years, the owner is Thai but lived in USA for 25 years plus.

As I say, the truly sad part of ask this upheaval is the loss to the area of the Thai Restaurant 'Muang Pon Laos'- a real gem, gone as of now due to other people's greed.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Dropped by "California Wraps" upstairs at Makro, Hang Dong, around lunchtime today expecting to find the place quiet and happy to report there were 4 tables being used with about a dozen people. They do have a large sign next to the escalator as you come in the front door. I guess some of their old customers will follow them there and we can only wish them well.

• Like 1

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 10 months later...

What makes an breakfast American?

Must it have heartattack side effects?

Must it just be a lot of food but greasy?

Must the cook be a overweighted individual?

Just curious!

Many styles....

Sample of types of American Breakfasts...

1. Ham and Eggs, Coffee, Juice. (Can substitute bacon or sausage). Usually less on the plate than Ausse/English type breakfast.

2. Alternatively, a healthier form would be a whole grain cereal with fruit/low fat milk or yogurt. (my preference)....also juice and coffee.

3. Pancakes with bacon or sausage are a good choice.

4. Omelets.

Not really a mystery. The OP mentioned his preference, and many would turn up their noses saying his choice is unhealthy....but still delicious non the less. Many restaurants will add beans/mushrooms/overlarge sausages as an Australian/British variant. Not really much difference.

Europeans like lots of breads and pastries with fruit.

Number 2 is the most unhealthiest and will lead you into an earlier grave all things being equal. I'm not going to explain why because it's considered 'medical advice' but do the research for your own health. It's not your fault as our generation was brought up to believe many falsehoods as fact.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by bofhman

How is whole grain cereal with milk worse than pancakes?

Milk in Thailand is made from imported milk powder with added preservatives and sugar.

Pancakes can be made with flour, water and egg. (it can also be made with chemical pancake mix)

So in theory, the pancakes could be equal or better.

Today I went to Pun Pun and feasted on the HUGE chicken fried steak (Super Man?) and a large coffee. It was my good fortune to meet the man himself -Gonzo- and we had a nice chat.

I ordered my eggs over easy and this is the before shot:

post-2362-0-75711400-1404307295_thumb.jp

Personally speaking I always prefer to eat my chicken fried steak breakfasts with a blue spoon. Gonzo didn't bat an eye upon hearing my request smile.png

post-2362-0-81756400-1404307497_thumb.jp

I always clean my plate (only one meal for Lance today- I have one full tummy...)

Gonzo even gave me a nice discount for being a Thai Visa member; I will go back for sure!

How is whole grain cereal with milk worse than pancakes?

Milk in Thailand is made from imported milk powder with added preservatives and sugar.

Pancakes can be made with flour, water and egg. (it can also be made with chemical pancake mix)

So in theory, the pancakes could be equal or better.

That statement about the milk is false.

• Like 2

Today I went to Pun Pun and feasted on the HUGE chicken fried steak (Super Man?) and a large coffee. It was my good fortune to meet the man himself -Gonzo- and we had a nice chat.

I ordered my eggs over easy and this is the before shot:

attachicon.gif2014-07-02 11.40.48.jpg

Personally speaking I always prefer to eat my chicken fried steak breakfasts with a blue spoon. Gonzo didn't bat an eye upon hearing my request smile.png

attachicon.gif2014-07-02 12.14.32.jpg

I always clean my plate (only one meal for Lance today- I have one full tummy...)

Gonzo even gave me a nice discount for being a Thai Visa member; I will go back for sure!

Yes Kn Lancelot..... you done good. Normally folks visiting us for the first time do not clean their plate so good. Usually takes 3 or 4 visits ,[read training] to get all the muscles trained that well..

Was good to meet you and do look forward to your hopefully next visit.

Many Thanks

G