Backpackers = Sad Species?

So, we had 400 pounds of luggage coming out for this trip... does that make me a bad person? I just figured we were modern-day jet-set gypsies!.

On the islands, I am constantly surprised by how little stuff some people have. Many people travel with too much stuff... when you have things like computers and scuba equipment things add up pretty quickly. Shoes are also a killer.

...reminds me of an old co-worker who traveled with a carry-on sized duffel bag for a year through India. He had three socks - two to wear and one to wash and dry each day.

As far as the Lonely Planet goes... people need a frigging starting point!

Anyway, we can all make fun of backpackers all day, but at least they are trying something new.

This article reminds me my first and only visit to Koh Tao 2 years ago; nice small island, beautiful beach but no ambiance at all, sad as the death. It was only populated by young people coming there to visit diving schools, all the time reading their diving books and at the night looking farang movies on giant screens at some "so called" bars. No one to talk with, drink a couple of beers and have a funny time. Only serious boring young farang.

Another specie was the "techno addicts" :o , this kind of people are normally found in places wher is it impossible to have a decent conversation du to the loud music.

Koh Samui, Koh Pangnan, Koh Tao....where is it ?

It was only populated by young people coming there to visit diving schools, all the time reading their diving books and at the night looking farang movies on giant screens at some "so called" bars. No one to talk with, drink a couple of beers and have a funny time. Only serious boring young farang.

What should they have been doing? Koh Tao is known for diving, so maybe they were there to learn, hence the diving books?? It is advised NOT to drink the night before diving as it can be dangerous, so maybe they were being sensible to save themselves getting into trouble the next day instead of being hungover & dehidrated?

These kind of articles make me laugh, why do some people feel they have a right to critise how others chose to holiday. They aren't breaking any laws, they aren't fighting or causing trouble, so whats the issue? That they read a lonely planet & eat pad thai? big deal! There are certainly more offense types of holiday makers in LOS than the back packer.

It was only populated by young people coming there to visit diving schools, all the time reading their diving books and at the night looking farang movies on giant screens at some "so called" bars. No one to talk with, drink a couple of beers and have a funny time. Only serious boring young farang.

What should they have been doing? Koh Tao is known for diving, so maybe they were there to learn, hence the diving books?? It is advised NOT to drink the night before diving as it can be dangerous, so maybe they were being sensible to save themselves getting into trouble the next day instead of being hungover & dehidrated?

These kind of articles make me laugh, why do some people feel they have a right to critise how others chose to holiday. They aren't breaking any laws, they aren't fighting or causing trouble, so whats the issue? That they read a lonely planet & eat pad thai? big deal! There are certainly more offense types of holiday makers in LOS than the back packer.

Hear, hear!!!

Was was curious about the comment about eating Phad Thai with chopsticks. I do that too, it never occurred to me that it might be objectionable behavior. So I'm left wondering now it's the choice of food or the choice of utensils that's branding me as a Kii Nok.

This article reminds me my first and only visit to Koh Tao 2 years ago; nice small island, beautiful beach but no ambiance at all, sad as the death. It was only populated by young people coming there to visit diving schools, all the time reading their diving books and at the night looking farang movies on giant screens at some "so called" bars. No one to talk with, drink a couple of beers and have a funny time. Only serious boring young farang.

Another specie was the "techno addicts" :o , this kind of people are normally found in places wher is it impossible to have a decent conversation du to the loud music.

I do feel sorry for you. Because this says a lot more about you then about Koh Tao.

But......open your mind and visit Koh Tao again! Over the last year Koh Tao is gradually changing from a backpackers-doing-a-dive-course island into an island that is visited by families (I guess they're the old backpackers now coming back with their children).

Hard for many to believe that Samui was "discovered" by backpackers a few decades ago. Once upon a time you would have been hard pressed to find anyone but backpackers. They came, they spent money, some even stayed. Then they began to upgrade the accomodations in partnership with the local families who ran the small little bungalows along the beaches. Then the people from Bangkok discovered there was money to me made on Samui and bought out the family managed bungalows and further upgraded the accomodations. So now we have other types of tourists, as well as the modern day sahibs and memsahibs (AKA ex-pats) , populating Paradise Lost quick to disparage those who follow in the footsteps of those who blazed the trail.

DJ Pat is boring in my opinion.

This back packer bashing is a re-hash of a previous thread and one that i find to have no substance whatsoever.

Fancy judging someone on the kind of bag they carry!

Edited by donna

Hmmm never a nice thing to say ..... and you wonder why people didn't want to talk to you?

Hard for many to believe that Samui was "discovered" by backpackers a few decades ago.

It is a myth that backpackers 'discovered' anywhere. I find it a more bizzare notion that they discovered anywhere yet they lay claim to everywhere!

In reality they more likely fell across a path which was already long beaten by locals and then spread the word to their fellow travellers.

I once suggested to a freind's parents that Samui was discovered by backpackers from the West and they told me in a rather surly manner that there has been hotels on Samui since beach holidays became fashionable in the 1920s and beach accommodation since at least the early 1960s (when they would slip over from Surat for a weekend's courting)

My idea of backpacking is loading up a motorcycle with gear( a big a$$ BMW with the big panniers), eating somtum on side of the road while sitting on a plastic stool, then spending the night in a 5 star resort! :o

:o aaargh, cant open the attachment on OP.

eating somtum on side of the road while sitting on a plastic stool,

i cant stand people who eat somtam on the side of the road whilst sitting on plastic stools.

.......even better when they're wearing tye dye linen and discussing their new found 'spirituality'.