Rabbit Card used for BTS expires?

Jingo

I bought a Rabbit card and put 1,000 THB on it for what I thought was the 50 trips for 1,000 deal.

My question is, will the remaining amount expire after the 30 days?

If so, can I use it on McDonald's and other things like a normal Rabbit card?

I just wasn't sure if the amount is "locked" into BTS or if it expires or whatnot or if that was the old 30-day card's rule.

My card doesn't say 30-day anywhere on it but I just want to make sure.

http://www.bts.co.th/_admin/uploadfiles/files/404.pdf

You could try asking here, with luck someone will speak some english there.

BTS Tourist Information Centers can be found at Siam , Phaya Thai and Saphan Taksin

It's the orange one and I put trips on it. Is it possible to like pay a fee and get back part of it? Or pay a fee to prevent the expiration?

Or pay to convert the remaining trips into cash or something...

I ended up using less than half and feel stupid.

Also I read something about 45 days with the 30-day trips, is it not exactly 30 days but expire in 45 days? I guess it's just wishful thinking...

To clarify it is not the 30-day smart pass, but it is the Orange rabbit and I think I bought 50 trips for 1,000 and I am worried it expires within 30 days, I don't know why but I got the impression when I bought it that it expires in 30 days, is this right?

Also I just checked bangkokbts.com and it says "30-Day Rabbit Card : Adult" for my card... definitely worried. Would topping up further extend the life of the card and preserve the trips? Because it says "Valid for 30 days after the date of purchase or last refill."

So if I re-fill like 100THB can it preserve the trips or would they expire regardless?

Edited by Jingo

Rabbit Card for transportation ? LOL that sounds like a spelling mistake in stead of Rapid Card cheesy.gif

On does it also offer buying carrots on easy installments ?

Actually you can collect "carrot points" on it and use for discounts at various places smile.png

The rabbit card itself does not expire nor does cash loaded on the card. Packages of trips for the card expire after 30 days. You do not, of course, have to purchase trips packages but may instead use the card as cash with the fare being deducted automatically upon exiting. When you purchase trips that is what you get and money used to purchase said trips is already spent and, therefore, not available for use as cash. If you did not purchase trips and simply loaded cash on the card, the cash is available for use at many retailers as well as for paying your fare on the BTS.

You don't sound as if you are certain as to whether you purchased trips or loaded cash onto the card. To find out: look at the small digital display next time you go through the gate. If you purchased trips it will show you how many trips you have remaining. If you loaded cash on the card it will show you how much cash you have remaining. You could likewise ask at the ticket window. The new carrot rewards machines may also show your balance but I am not certain.

Trips packages tend to only provide a savings when you use the BTS for commuting (when you know the number of trips you require and the distance). I don't believe there is a way to get a refund especially if you have used some portion of the trips but it can't hurt to ask at the ticket window.

CPT is correct.

Let me add: until the end of this year, cash payments with rabbit card at the BTS will still be calculated by the old price before the recent (up to 20%) price increase. So the card is good value and I don't understand why so many people still queue for getting change and queue again to buy a ticket.

Because they dislike some company ripping off their customers with some artificial 'expiration' policy? What would be the purpose of expiry after 30 days.. do the trains vanish?

The trains don't vanish but if you buy a 50 ticket credit for 30 days for 1000 baht then you are receiving a discount for being a frequent user, thus the time limit in which to use up your trips.

If you're not such a frequent user then you should get the stored value card with a much longer time in which to use up your credit but the trade off is your baht per ride cost will be higher. You can also use the stored value at a number of retail outlets like Starbucks, Major etc. if you wish, something you can't do with the discount ride only top-up.

I bought a Rabbit card and put 1,000 THB on it for what I thought was the 50 trips for 1,000 deal.

I just wasn't sure if the amount is "locked" into BTS or if it expires or whatnot or if that was the old 30-day card's rule.

I had bad experiences with a rabbit card last year, best try and avoid them. It is one big con. Wait until you use it in McDonalds, they don't give you any change back or let you add more money. It is lose lose lose for you, and win win win for them. Be warned.

I had bad experiences with a rabbit card last year, best try and avoid them. It is one big con. Wait until you use it in McDonalds, they don't give you any change back or let you add more money. It is lose lose lose for you, and win win win for them. Be warned.

If you buy a coffee at McDonalds for 49 baht then 49 baht is deducted from the stored value of your card. Why would you expect change? McDonalds are part of Rabbit as a retailer to sell you their product, not as a recharge outlet.

If you want to top up then you need to go to a BTS station, after all the card is primarily for use on the BTS so expecting to be able to top up at McDonalds, Auntie Annies or Mister Donut and calling it a con because you can't...

Ahh, I was wondering who all the people are who insist on waiting in line every time they want to buy a ticket for the BTS. Us people with these useless cards just walk right through at the same price, and in many cases, at drastically reduced prices.

Edited by isawasnake

If you buy a coffee at McDonalds for 49 baht then 49 baht is deducted from the stored value of your card. Why would you expect change? McDonalds are part of Rabbit as a retailer to sell you their product, not as a recharge outlet.

If you want to top up then you need to go to a BTS station, after all the card is primarily for use on the BTS so expecting to be able to top up at McDonalds, Auntie Annies or Mister Donut and calling it a con because you can't...

why would i want to use my rabbit card for a 49 baht coffee?

I carry money for that

Ahh, I was wondering who all the people are who insist on waiting in line every time they want to buy a ticket for the BTS. Us people with these useless cards just walk right through at the same price, and in many cases, at drastically reduced prices.

I've wondered that many times. So many are Thai so you'd think they can't all be one off users so why are they lining up to put coins in a machine when they could purchase a Rabbit card. Sure there is a set up fee involved but still, beats standing in line behind someone in peak hour who just like a lot of ATM users here, can't figure out how to work the machine so they end up missing a couple of trains while they wait. The card has to be the better option, surely.

why would i want to use my rabbit card for a 49 baht coffee?

I carry money for that

But that is so old school... smile.png

Because they dislike some company ripping off their customers with some artificial 'expiration' policy? What would be the purpose of expiry after 30 days.. do the trains vanish?

Yes that's the rip-off and it takes advantage of poorer people more than richer. For example I do not have much money currently SO I decided to buy the package to save on trips to my new job. Only to discover the job was a fraud so I can't work there. So now I'm stuck with a pretty sizeable loss since I bought the trips to go to work each day and no longer have a job to go to. Whereas someone who STILL has their job (or decides to work the scam job) gets the savings, kind of ironic.

But it's also my fault for not selling it to someone once my situation changed but it's probably illegal to walk around BTS places and bother people into buying it. Sure somebody coulda used it, I coulda sold it for half off or something. Stupid me (and unlucky for whomever coulda bought it and saved a ton on BTS).

Just giving it away even woulda been better still had like 40 trips...

Edited by Jingo

I could not see this mentioned in the thread above, but when I bought my Rabbit yesterday (200 baht minus 50 baht for the card and 50 baht deposit) it was very clearly stated that I had 2 years to use the amount after which it expires. I assume each additional top-up will be also valid for 2 years from date of top-up.

So 100 baht to use when the machine queues are snaking all round the station seems like a sensible plan to me.

I've wondered that many times. So many are Thai so you'd think they can't all be one off users so why are they lining up to put coins in a machine when they could purchase a Rabbit card. Sure there is a set up fee involved but still, beats standing in line behind someone in peak hour who just like a lot of ATM users here, can't figure out how to work the machine so they end up missing a couple of trains while they wait. The card has to be the better option, surely.

Even the setup fee pays for itself almost instantly though by using the trips. It depends on your usage of course. If you don't ride the bts at least 15 trips a month, then yes, you'd have to actually "endure" the setup fees. Maybe that is who all those people in the lines are.

I personally used the Rabbit card and its trips system, and find it quite useful as it was the only way (along with MRT, BRT, Taxi and motocy) for me to move around Bangkok. I don't think there is any rip off there. Those trips are meant for people that use the BTS often, and it is clearly stated that those expires after 45 days (and not 30 days, may be a grace period). They also say that trips are non-refundable.

The money that you put on the card is valid for 2 years after date of last transaction, if you top-up, validity will be extended.

So, your trips are lost, and the 1k Baht you use to buy those also, since this is nor added value to the card. But if you added extra value on the side, it will still be valid for the next two years.

Note that the 50 Baht to pay for issuing the card will turn into 150 Baht as of December 21st, 2013.

Edited by MaxPag

I'll buy your rabbit card if it has 40 trips . . . I will use that in a month . . . . how many days until expiry???

Meet me at a BTS station so I can check the merchandise before handing over . . . . . 400baht?

Edited by cheyenne

I have a BTS SmartPass, which I use each time I return to BKK (every three months), and any credit left from my last visit is still always useable. Been using the same card since 2010, so any top-ups must reset expiry time.

I have a BTS SmartPass, which I use each time I return to BKK (every three months), and any credit left from my last visit is still always useable. Been using the same card since 2010, so any top-ups must reset expiry time.

The BTS cards will expire at some stage, at which time you need to swap over (with any remaining credit) to a Rabbit card.

(p) “Validity Period” means the period of time during which the Rabbit is valid to pay

for Qualified Goods and Services, and/or the Stored Value and/or the Transit Pass can

be added on the Rabbit. The Company specified that such period is 5 years from the

Issuing Date.

Also believe there is a two year usage requirement, so a card must be used at least once in 24 months. So a rolling 24 month validity as well.

Trips can represent a significant discount, depending on the length of your trip - obviusuly there is a break-even point - , in part to cap transportation costs for citizens, and in part to guarantee cash-flow and have a shelf life of thirty-day (30) days from the date of the first trip used. The first trip used must occur within 45 days.

Trips and/or their 'value' are not refundable'.

One really shouldn't invest in a trip card until one is familiar with their travel requirements. A stored-value card, while not representing any discounts, is a good alternative to start out with, if only to speed one's entry into the platform. You can always transition to trips once you have a feel for your requirements.

BTS 30-Day Smartpass

Trips on passes valid for 30 days.

Unlimited travel distance for number of trips specified.

Passengers should start using passes within 45 days from date of first issue or last refill, otherwise value or trips will become invalid for travel and cannot be refunded. New trips must then be added to validate a pass for further travel.

5 Year Card Life starts from date of issue. Cards may be refilled with trips after the first trip has been used, or validity expires, upon promotion as specified by the Company regulations.

Passes are non-refundable.

This pass can only be used by current fulltime local students, aged not over 23 years, according to date of birth on Citizen ID, and currently studying at an academic institution in Thailand or studying at an academic institution in Foreign Countries recognized by the Ministry of Education. Student ID and Citizen ID must be presented upon request by BTS Staff. Misuse of pass, or abuse of pass conditions, will result in forfeiture of the pass together with any remaining value. In addition, a fine of up to 20 times the value of the pass will be imposed.

For the convenience of the passengers, ID cards are not required to be shown when purchasing passes.

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 1

Just to clarify as i think the stored credit card would be much less hassle for me, are they all the same card but if you want a 30 day deal you just put it in machine and ask for a package, or are they completely separate cards? If so what one do i ask for if i want the stored credit one?

Cheers

Just to clarify as i think the stored credit card would be much less hassle for me, are they all the same card but if you want a 30 day deal you just put it in machine and ask for a package, or are they completely separate cards? If so what one do i ask for if i want the stored credit one?

Cheers

It's one card... the 'Rabbit Card'. You can load cash and/or trips on it. If you want one of the trip packages you simply request and pay for it at the ticket window and it will be loaded onto your card.