Relocation to Samui

rubbish, OP don't be put off by negative comments like this. I've lived on Samui for almost two years now, met some really nice people, in fact some of the best friends I've ever made, haven't got ripped off at all by either Thai or foreigner. Samui is much more friendly than Bangkok. In fact you may notice that the people who live on Samui who post on TV are mostly genuinely helpful and trying to answer with real information, not the "everything in Thailand is awful" crowd.

I'd suggest you choose carefully what part of the island you'd like to live in though. Chaweng is very crowded and touristy, Lamai less so, and the south and west coast very quiet. I believe Maenam and Bang Por are nice too but I don't know that area very well.

Overall costs probably similar to Bangkok except for the taxis. We have Tesco, Big C, Makro and some specialty shops for grocery shopping, good local markets for fish, fruit and veg, some great healthy/vegetarian restaurants, etc.

If you're sending furniture and household things, be aware there's no IKEA here, it's a bit limited in terms of what you can find, so bring whatever you need from Bangkok.

There's a couple of large furniture stores on the ring road from Lamai to Nathon is there not?

Umm.. I would hardly call most of the stuff sold at these places for "furniture".

There's an Index store in Maenam, but they don't seem to stock many of the more expensive stuff which you'll find in BKK. Things that gets on sale campaigns also never seems to make it out here.

Edited by Mole

Umm.. I would hardly call most of the stuff sold at these places for "furniture".

There's an Index store in Maenam, but they don't seem to stock many of the more expensive stuff which you'll find in BKK. Things that gets on sale campaigns also never seems to make it out here.

I would tend to agree with this statement by Mole... but there are a couple of places to check out which if I remember have slightly better quality than Index in Maenam, or those Nathon stores.

One is the store just before the big hill headed up to Tesco Chawang, on left, I forget the name! ... the other is just beyond Tesco Chawang, on same side, called the Greenhouse. It has been a while since I have been in either of them.... but might be worth checking out... wink.png

Edited by samuijimmy

There is a Samui Storage & Moving Solutions place, run by a Brit, I think. I have emailed them a couple of times and they are very friendly. You can find them on Google Search.

I am moving to Samui in October and will visit again in September. I found a nice little one-bedroom house, 100 meters from the beach, for 800 baht a month in Maenam. The only problem with it is no hot shower. Hopefully I will be able to work with the owner and get that changed. rolleyes.gif

All the best to you.

800bt a month is that just for the cold shower how much for the rest of the house.

OOPS! Sorry, I meant 8,000 baht a month.

I certainly don't agree with Monkeycountry's statement.... especially that Thai's not understanding about internet etc etc....every Thai I know does... blink.png

Many houses around Maenam under 10,000 baht... My house is pretty decent one large bedroom, living room, kitchen bathroom and walled garden and 300 metres from beach and 100 metres to Ring Road, very quiet with only two close neigbouring houses... ...also has hot water, asking price was 8000 b a month including water and electric thumbsup.gif ... on long term I got that down to 7000 baht a month...without much effort.... other houses in area same sort of prices... with long term expats...not tourists thumbsup.gif

I could use the slowish internet included, but choose to have my own line.... same with satellite, I use my own.

One generally only find these places by either driving around, or word of mouth... they are not advertised....(usually) ...

It was a figure of speech, but to clarify, yes everyone knows what the internet is. However, many, especially elderly local thais, have no idea how to use it though, and would not know how to advertise their house online.

There is a Samui Storage & Moving Solutions place, run by a Brit, I think. I have emailed them a couple of times and they are very friendly. You can find them on Google Search.

I am moving to Samui in October and will visit again in September. I found a nice little one-bedroom house, 100 meters from the beach, for 800 baht a month in Maenam. The only problem with it is no hot shower. Hopefully I will be able to work with the owner and get that changed. rolleyes.gif

All the best to you.

800 baht per month no chance even a thai would have to pay more than that are you sure your not mistaken with a dog kennel I live in Maenam no way can you get a place for 800 per month even a tin shed is more !!!!!!!!

800 baht per month no chance even a thai would have to pay more than that are you sure your not mistaken with a dog kennel I live in Maenam no way can you get a place for 800 per month even a tin shed is more !!!!!!!!

The poster already corrected his typo to 8000 baht

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/657412-relocation-to-samui/?p=6675146

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I would also recommend to Nami that he consider Phuket. It does not share the disadvantages of travel that Samui does (Phuket has a causeway to the mainland and a proper international airport accepting low cost carriers) and has just as many nice beaches as Samui.

Pokers, thanks for the suggestion. But Phuket and Pattaya are the only 2 places I would never move to. I respect the people who like, but it is completely the opposite of what I like ;-)

Tropicalevo, I don't know if he hates Samui or just loves Phuket. At first I thought it was a joke/troll :-D

I would also recommend to Nami that he consider Phuket. It does not share the disadvantages of travel that Samui does (Phuket has a causeway to the mainland and a proper international airport accepting low cost carriers) and has just as many nice beaches as Samui.

I suspect that you have something against Samui. sad.png

I know that it is not perfect, but it is bluddy dammmm good. smile.png

The poster asked for advice about relocating to Samui, not "where is a good place to live?"

Personally, I would recommend the Seychelles for the best beaches, but hey. Who cares? coffee1.gif

Back on topic. Samui is not as cheap as most other parts of Thailand, and as pokerspiv points out, travel to and from here is either time consuming or expensive.

But it is worth it. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I suspect that you have something against Samui. sad.png

I know that it is not perfect, but it is bluddy dammmm good. smile.png

The poster asked for advice about relocating to Samui, not "where is a good place to live?"

Personally, I would recommend the Seychelles for the best beaches, but hey. Who cares? coffee1.gif

Back on topic. Samui is not as cheap as most other parts of Thailand, and as pokerspiv points out, travel to and from here is either time consuming or expensive.

But it is worth it. thumbsup.gif

What a ridiculous thing to say, I have lived in Samui for years and certainly don't have anything against it.

I'm just saying that if the if the OP's primary motivation to move is to escape busy Bangkok and be near the beach, then Phuket is worth considering too.

Pokers, thanks for the suggestion. But Phuket and Pattaya are the only 2 places I would never move to.

In that case I hope you aren't expecting Samui to be too much different than Phuket, because it isn't. There's more to Phuket than Bangla Road, just like there is more to Samui than Chaweng Beach Road. There are nicer and quieter places on both Islands.

Edited by pokerspiv