Retirement Visa for Thai Wife

You take the original marriage certificate to the U.S Consulate and fill out an affidavit swearing that the marriage certificate is a true and accurate document. After you get the affidavit stamped by the consulate you would have the marriage license and affidavit translated into Thai. You can get the affidavit in PDF format via the consulate website. My wife and I are going through a similar situation with my wife's ID. The name on her ID is her maiden name and we are trying to get it changed to her married name. We have been back to the amphur at least 4 times trying to get it fixed. Hopefully on our next trip we will get her ID changed and also get her Thai passport renewed.

The translation also has to be certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. But the translator can do this for a small additional fee.

The Amphoe cannot change ID to married name until you register your marriage with them at which time they will update the house book, ID card and issue a Kor Ror 22.

You take the original marriage certificate to the U.S Consulate and fill out an affidavit swearing that the marriage certificate is a true and accurate document. After you get the affidavit stamped by the consulate you would have the marriage license and affidavit translated into Thai. You can get the affidavit in PDF format via the consulate website. My wife and I are going through a similar situation with my wife's ID. The name on her ID is her maiden name and we are trying to get it changed to her married name. We have been back to the amphur at least 4 times trying to get it fixed. Hopefully on our next trip we will get her ID changed and also get her Thai passport renewed.

Thanks for that info. I was not sure if I was getting an affidavit for the original American marriage certificate or the Thai translation, of which I have. Understand now it is the American marriage certificate. Can I get the affidavit translated at a local shop or should I have the MFA do it? Will they accept the translation I currently have of the marriage certificate?

We had our translations done through a company in Lampang who in-turn had it stamped by the MFAs. We paid a little over song pon baht. Where I went wrong the last time is when I made my statement on the affidavit I used my wife's current name versus using her maiden name. The people at the amphur said I had to change it to my wife's maiden name and then have it re-translated. We ran out of time and had to return to the U.S. We basically have to start from scratch. The person in charge of the process tried to be helpful but she was not familiar with the process herself and kept referring to instructions provided in a manual. After finding something wrong with the paperwork on four different occasions my wife has found it very frustrating and said she is giving up on getting it changed. Hopefully she will change her mind before our next visit in December.