open a bank account - SCB or bangkok bank ?

basejd

I am newbie here in CM..

I am thinking of opening a bank account and bangkok bank is on my list.

but my most of my thai friends are using SCB ..

do you guys have any experience with SCB and bangkok bank?

care to share?

I use Bangkok Bank and rarely have a problem.

On occasion, I have used SCB for settling invoices with their customers and find them to be a pain in the neck. On a bad day, they look for any excuse to avoid even a simple transaction. Once, they asked me to take cash from the ATM to use in processing a payment rather than do it more cheaply for me through the teller's computer terminal. The manager was involved in the transaction and relented when I asked him whether or not SCB was a real bank.

• Like 2

i have an account in this bangkok bank

in warrarot market

quite a lot of the staff here speak reasonable english coz my thais almost zilch

and if one cant sort your problem or understand what you want you will soon have two others helping the first one and thats why i use it as my main bank

the internet banking works but i only use it to top up my phones / tablet and balance checking so im happy with them smile.png

dave2

scb ... sorry ive no idea

post-42592-0-22419800-1375238462_thumb.j

Never noticed a difference in any Thai bank. I use Kasikorn, SCB, and Bangkok bank. All have internet banking. All the same to me. SCB is good if you buy a lot of tickets on Air Asia as it will save you a lot of money on commissions; although I think your account must be at a Bangkok branch. I may be wrong about that but I believe Air Asia told me that. Easy enough to open an account at the branch at Suvarnabhumi when you are there.

Bangkok Bank has commercial (not retail) branches in New York and London. They are the only Thai bank approved by the U.S. government to accept direct deposit of Social Security checks and we arranged direct deposit of my husband's private pension from a Fortune 100 U.S. company without having to leave Chiang Mai. A simple fax was all that was needed to make that arrangement. Good exchange rates on these direct deposits, too.

This benefit may not be important to the O.P.

I've had dealings with both SCB and BB and find that much depends on the attitude of the local branch managers. They have much latitude in how they run their branches and can either be a PITA when someone wants to close an account or very helpful.

Remember, in Thailand you sometimes have to use your "home" branch for certain services, so select a branch near your home.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 2

I personally use Kasikorn and am very happy especially with their internet banking.

Got to agree. I have various 'offshore' accounts in many countries, however Kasikorns service is one of the best. Their phone banking service is also top notch. Put's HSBC, Santander and Standard Chartered to shame.

• Like 1

I have had accounts at SCB, Bangkok Bank, Bank of Ayuttha, UOB and K-Bank... Of those Bangkok Bank was and still is, by far, the worst. SCB was always good. My employer uses Bangkok Bank so I have no choice but to keep the account open.

However, It has a lot to do with location and your local branch I believe. I am in Chonburi, a long way from CM. My biggest gripe is that there is a plaza near my office that has branches of 4 of the 5 above mentioned banks. Bangkok bank can take up to 2 hours wait to see a teller, their ATM's are always empty or out of service and their staff doesn't do anything when they see people waiting for hours. I'm not kidding, two hours.... The other banks are pleasant and helpful and never more than 15 minutes.

My advice, if it's just a savings account, is open an account with each and see which one you like better.

Can i open several bank accounts. Just that the deposit interest rate usually varies better than others every year, wanted to take advantages of the changes by online. I am not a resident at the moment but owned two condos and a SCB account holder since 2004. Sorry to OP for jumping onto your threads. To OP, shop around for the best deposit interest rate and join. It pays you to shop around. biggrin.png

With Bangkok Bank for over 25 years and never a problem. Originally opened in Phuket as a tourist then moved to Chiang Mai so Thapae branch when I first moved here, now Suthep branch due to proximity to work. Service has been flawless and even have a personal bank officer assigned to me as an executive member getting me instant service when I walk in the door. Even comes to my office when my fixed is up for renewal to discuss current options. wink.png

Have an account recently at Krungthai due to working for the government need a government bank for salary deposits. Have ATM/e-banking/debit/credit card with no complications at BBK. Having a New York branch makes transfers much more convenient.

Have had an account with Bangkok Bank in Pattaya for over 15 years and never had any problems. As mentioned above, they make transfers from a bank in the US (and presumably in the UK) very easy since you can make a domestic bank transfer to the New York branch (or the London branch).

Recent debt issued by both banks received the same ratings. There's no material difference in the riskiness of their balance sheets.

Edited by Suradit69

The primary choice for many is what bank has the ATM that you will use most frequently as your "home" ATM as it will charge the lowest fee.

I have accounts with both SCB and Bangkok Bank.

Why limit yourself to one ATM card and source of funds when you can so easily have a backup solution for 200 Baht and 20 minutes of your time?

If you are like me you have two backups before needing to rely on overseas cards.

• Like 1

I did several banks to, banks in thailand , bad expierence, no friendly, no service, pay for every move you make, while they make big money from you.

THEN I open account in TMB bank a real releave, staff always friendly, personal approch, give you a drink, very helpfull.

good rates, they have the non fee account, als long as you have 20.000 on it you pay nothing for for all movements or take offs from atm's in the country no matter what bank.

also accounts that give you 2.5 or 3 % non fixed.. only have to wait 1 day if you want to take off from this saving.

I do this coombination, save bigger money on this one, and have smaller money on the non fee with atm

Im very happy

Can i open several bank accounts. Just that the deposit interest rate usually varies better than others every year, wanted to take advantages of the changes by online. I am not a resident at the moment but owned two condos and a SCB account holder since 2004. Sorry to OP for jumping onto your threads. To OP, shop around for the best deposit interest rate and join. It pays you to shop around. biggrin.png

Yes you can, I, like many others, have accounts with most of the banks in Thailand, it makes life easier when you want to take advantage of a specific product at short notice.

• Like 1

Billythekid. You can but why make it more complicated for those you leave behind in your demise to clear things up. KISS Keep it simple

blink.png

Of course, if you;re not thinking of dying any time soon then the concept is workable.

If you want to transfer money from your home country bank it would be worth while finding the bank which is a "Corresponding Bank" to your own bank.

That saves the possibility of money having to travel through intermediary banks and multiplies the possibility of problems.

• Like 1

If you want to transfer money from your home country bank it would be worth while finding the bank which is a "Corresponding Bank" to your own bank.

That saves the possibility of money having to travel through intermediary banks and multiplies the possibility of problems.

That's a very limiting criteria, on that basis Bangkok Bank (BB) would be the only choice for any UK based account holders since BB acts as their own correspondent in the UK, personally I would elect to go with stability of the bank in question.

I use Bangkok Bank and rarely have a problem.

On occasion, I have used SCB for settling invoices with their customers and find them to be a pain in the neck. On a bad day, they look for any excuse to avoid even a simple transaction. Once, they asked me to take cash from the ATM to use in processing a payment rather than do it more cheaply for me through the teller's computer terminal. The manager was involved in the transaction and relented when I asked him whether or not SCB was a real bank.

The exact same thing happened to me, except it was the teller at Bangkok Bank (Paragon branch), who asked me to take the cash to UOP bank for a transfer.

Sometimes I wonder in which century, no, in which millenium, Thai banks are. They are ALL a pain in the neck when it comes to customer service and simple things like transfer money form one account to another.

I find it unbelievable that in the year 2013 I have to fax (yes, fax! You know, the machines our grandfather used) the ATM printout for the recipient to enable him to identify the transaction.

Bottom line: All Thai banks are bad and it depends largely on the current staff in a particular branch how happy you are. Bear in mind, the staff changes every 2 years.

I use both Bangkok Bank and SCB.

Bangkok Bank I was originally told, is better (faster and better rate) when transferring money from abroad. Seems like Bangkok Banks gives a marginal higher interest than other banks.

SCB seems to be lot more polite and co-operative than Bangkok Bank. I have good experience with SCB from both south, Bangkok and north east, whilst Bangkok Bank often are difficult and not to co-operative. However keeping to strict banking business in your home branch and use of ATM, Bangkok Bank works fine.

Never noticed a difference in any Thai bank. I use Kasikorn, SCB, and Bangkok bank. All have internet banking. All the same to me. SCB is good if you buy a lot of tickets on Air Asia as it will save you a lot of money on commissions; although I think your account must be at a Bangkok branch. I may be wrong about that but I believe Air Asia told me that. Easy enough to open an account at the branch at Suvarnabhumi when you are there.

My SCB branch is in Udon, and I use Air Asia.You're right .It does save a lot in commissions.