open a bank account - SCB or bangkok bank ?

basejd

'Nope, not at all - total misinformation. I did it with a tourist visa, and have read you can even do it on a 30d stamp. Ed or retirement visa definitely not needed though. The odd bank branch may of course put up this or that roadblock. (Just go somewhere else on the slim chance that should happen.)

• 2 months later...

Just went to the Chiang Mai K-Bank branch in Airport Central Plaza today trying to open an account. I was told that the law has changed. Foreigners are not allowed to open an account unless he/she has a work permit. Is this true?

Edited by 212traders

Just went to the Chiang Mai K-Bank branch in Airport Central Plaza today trying to open an account. I was told that the law has changed. Foreigners are not allowed to open an account unless he/she has a work permit. Is this true?

Unfortunately a couple of my friends have told me the same thing in recent weeks. Cannot open bank account without a WP.

Unfortunately a couple of my friends have told me the same thing in recent weeks. Cannot open bank account without a WP.

Is this for US citizens or for all foreigners?

Is this for US citizens or for all foreigners?

There is a crackdown by the government. Was just talking to my broker in BKK today about it. Something about a new U.S. tax law as well as pressure from the E.U. They said soon it will be very difficult for foreigners to open brokerage accounts in Thailand anymore as well as restrictions on who can open bank accounts.