Shipping a guitar from U.S. to Bangkok / Play music in BKK

SkyRider

i shipped my lakland 44 aj and a old orville custom from singapore via a private courier. never again.

lets just say i had a real nasty suprise where they plucked the figures and value of my instrument from sky. the total taxes cost more than a round trip singapore aix bnx class from bkk to sin. apparently my orville is considered as a vintage worth more than a gibson r9

anyway there some local luthiers that do a very good job. nng, pot come into my mind. in 08, you could get a build under a grand, 30000baht

there are some uncommon imports bass that play pretty well too. i.e strinberger ( not steinberger) that blow me off. there are some really good vintage p and j pickup clones too, artec! bloody gems, doesnt even cost more than 500baht,

About playing without a work permit, what I've heard is, the risks are higher or lower, depending on which venues you play. Example: Hotels = high risk. Small pubs, depending on the pub = lower risk.

Why post on a forum of expat with broad experience seeking guidance if you ignore their advise.

Please play at any venue you care to and see how long the ride lasts.

Post your results here. coffee1.gif

About playing without a work permit, what I've heard is, the risks are higher or lower, depending on which venues you play. Example: Hotels = high risk. Small pubs, depending on the pub = lower risk.

Why post on a forum of expat with broad experience seeking guidance if you ignore their advise.

Post your results here. coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

No work permit go to jail.

http://www.chiangmainews.com/ecmn/viewfa.php?id=3218

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/454199-musicians-arrested/page-6

• Like 1

No mate!

You see SkyRider is different to everyone else.....

He has special powers that will enchant the masses with his radical rifts and stellar strumming........

guitar.gif

.......we know nothing and can be safely ignored for the dumb-wits we clearly are.

He will prove us wrong!

cheesy.gif

No mate!

You see SkyRider is different to everyone else.....

He has special powers that will enchant the masses with his radical rifts and stellar strumming........

guitar.gif

.......we know nothing and can be safely ignored for the dumb-wits we clearly are.

He will prove us wrong!

cheesy.gif

Well I ain't sayin' those guys are particularly good, but they don't need no stinkin' work permits.

Post your results here. coffee1.gif

I didn't say I ignored the advice, but because I post on a forum doesn't mean I have to take the advice either. I'm not ignoring the advice, and I thanked everyone for giving me advice. I take this advice very seriously and I appreciate it. I just posted what I have heard, that does not mean I'm ignoring advice and it does not mean that I am going to play.

As noted by an earlier poster, do not scrimp on the preparation and extra padding if you do decide to ship yours over. I shipped an Eastman MD515 mandolin from California after having it "set-up" by a luthier. Unfortunately a small ornamental piece broke off when shipped though UPS. I re-attached the piece and although has no affect on the playability, it was still a shame on such an expensive mandolin. Photos of the piece and the mando are attached. It will be in Thai Visa classifieds within a week due to severe arthritis. Pad it good!

post-49171-0-43105800-1375616391_thumb.j

post-49171-0-27140000-1375616701_thumb.j

post-49171-0-94546100-1375616791_thumb.j

I ship items from the states all the time. Never had any problems. Fedex door 2 door delivery. Online shopping freak? Car parts and computer parts mostly. Usually its 30% tax on the reported value. + VAT 7%.

You can ship as "gift" or "personal item", and should be zero taxation...

The Thai customs tariff shows 10% for HS code 9207.900000 for electric guitars, and also 10% for HS code 9202.900000 for acoustic guitars.

According to Thai customs regulations, gifts or personal items are subject to tax just as commercial items. The only exceptions are household relocation (one shipment per new work permit) or diplomatic cargo.

• Like 1

Couldn't help myself....

1. What do you call a beautiful woman on a bassist's arm?

A tattoo.

2. What do a bass and a lawsuit have in common?

Everyone is relieved when the case is closed.

3.What's the difference between a Jazz bassist & a large Pizza??

The pizza can feed a family of 4 .

4. What do you call a bass player with a job? The janitor.

5. guy walks around a pawn shop checking out the various instruments. Finally walks up to the proprietor and asks: how much for the big red accordian under the window? The owner replies: You must be a bassist. How do you know?! Because that's a radiator

That's all I got.

Suzie Quattro was a bassist. She certainly was no tattoo.

As noted by an earlier poster, do not scrimp on the preparation and extra padding if you do decide to ship yours over. I shipped an Eastman MD515 mandolin from California after having it "set-up" by a luthier. Unfortunately a small ornamental piece broke off when shipped though UPS. I re-attached the piece and although has no affect on the playability, it was still a shame on such an expensive mandolin. Photos of the piece and the mando are attached. It will be in Thai Visa classifieds within a week due to severe arthritis. Pad it good!

It hurts me to see the damage on this beautiful piece! Blame it on the packaging (not only the padding). My guitar, which has travelled extensively, is packed in a wooden case:

post-149547-0-67442900-1375625862_thumb.