Bicycling in/around Chiang Rai?

puukao

I have ridden my road bike for 5+ months (6,000 miles) in/around CM and it was rather enjoyable. On my next trip to the LOS, I am seriously considering CR for cycling. I have only been there once. A few questions, and please don't feel like you have to answer any/all of them.

Does anyone know if there is a good bike culture in the city?

Good roads to bike on?

Oil slick roads at times? (I saw this in CM for a few months, not fun)

Good mountains to ride like doi suthep or samoeng loop?

lots of traffic in the mountains?

A good number of bike shops in CR?

well, you get the idea.

I don't expect it to be as good as CM, but I've spent enough time there and would like to explore other cities.

thanks for reading.

Edited by puukao

I am sure you will not be disappointed with Chiang Rai. Many great rides both mountainous and flat. North of town there is Mae Salong and Doi Thung. To the east there is Phu Chi Fa where I once bumped into a Japanese team who were wintering in Thoeng.

The main bike shops are Fat Free and Northern Bike and I am pretty sure they have training rides in the mornings but you would need to check on that. At Northern Bike I have often seen Khun Piak coming back to the shop with a group of young Thai riders after a morning ride.
Our traffic should not be as bad as Chiang Mai and though the biking community here may not be as big, we have a lot of variety and space for some great riding. With a little effort you could probably find people to ride with. By all means give Chiang Rai a try.smile.png
Edited by villagefarang
  • Like 1

Here is a little bike related news. There will be a multi day road race in October, here in beautiful Chiang Rai.

The Singha Tour of Chiang Rai 2013

Singha Park, Chiang Rai, Thailand

October 19-22, 2013

Organized by SINGHA, AMA events and Peter Pouly, the inaugural road bike event is set to become one of the most popular road bike race in Thailand and a hit in SEA cycling calendar.

Located in Northern Thailand in the ancient kingdom of Lanna and in the world renowned Golden Triangle, the race course offers the most spectacular and breathtaking sceneries in South East Asia.

The routes are in excellent condition and car free which guarantees a very safe environment for the athletes.

The second stage on Sunday October 20 will be open to all riders (MTB and Road bikes) and over 1500 riders are expected to take part.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

REBO posted this update in the cycling forum.

from http://bicyclethailand.com/events/:

The organizing committee of “The Singha Tour of Chiang Rai”, Peter Pouly and Active Management Asia have decided to postpone the event to a more suitable date in 2014. This has been a difficult decision but it has been done in order to provide an even better quality event next year. The new date will be announced very soon. We would like to apologize for any inconvenience.