Need an advice from guys living in Isaan

PATSTAN

I am planing to move to Isaan and would need an advice from guys living there about what is the good secure place to settle down, maybe around Buriram area , not sure, not far from shoppings and social life. I am on low budget, any advice if 5000 bht/month would be enough to rent a small dwelling with kitchen?

And how about dengue feever at the moment?

I appreciate any advice, thanks.

Stan

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, dengue is considered severe this year, although it is worse in the Chiang Mai region than Issan.

I have never stayed longer than a few days off and on in Issan because I get bored easily. However, I enjoy my visits to Udon Thani. My friends and I have spent time in the national park and hired a boat to have a picnic on the river, or just to watch the fishermen at work with their amazing net contraptions (too many nets I think). I rather enjoyed my inspections of the countryside as the people are so much more friendly than in the tourist zones. I rather like the Central shopping center as it has everything one could need. Udon Thani is rather liveable and I find it calm and clean.

Kohn Kaen is too big for me, but they have the best BBQ chicken in all of Thailand. wink.png

• Like 1

I am planing to move to Isaan and would need an advice from guys living there about what is the good secure place to settle down, maybe around Buriram area , not sure, not far from shoppings and social life. I am on low budget, any advice if 5000 bht/month would be enough to rent a small dwelling with kitchen?

And how about dengue feever at the moment?

I appreciate any advice, thanks.

Stan

If you are on a low budget, you will likely have no car?

So have to stick close to a major city (Udon, Khon Kaen, Korat etc.) with some form of transport (Songthaeo, Trike, Bus).

Buriram would not be my first choice as it is quite far from the main traffic routes.

Korat (Nakhon Ratchasima) allows a fairly short bus trip to Bangkok e.g.

Udon has the most to offer in terms of shopping and nightlife for foreigners (but will stress your budget of course) and quite far from Bangkok.

Cheap flights available with Air Asia.

Khon Kaen has a fairly large expat community if you want to meet fellows.

Flights only with Thai Air.

5000 Baht is enough for a "dwelling" (one living room plus bathroom).

Kitchen? What for? Do you want to cook on your own?

Fridge would be enough for me.

No exceptional Dengue problem in these cities compared to the rest of Thailand.

Dengue is not THE killer plague for healthy adults.

Do you speak Thai?

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

I live in Nong Khai and have to say it suits me just fine. Isaan is a large area and each province and city offers something different. I chose NK because it is quieter than most. It does however have a relatively large expat community but a bit clique. When asking you should provide a few more likes and dislikes. Food, beer, companions, activities, rough income or spending habits. Do you need to socialize? Big part of Isaan as many visitors can not stand being around a lot of Thai people they need to speak with other falang!

It is also less expensive. No problem getting decent accom for your budget range. As for dengue it is not to be over looked presently the main hospital in NK is treating many patients so it is a good question and something to be aware. Ignore crass comments.

• Like 1

Anywhere in Isaan is a good place to live, depending on what you want.

e.g. If you want other farang to talk to, then stick to the cities, particularly Udon/Khon Kaen. If you enjoy being made to feel "special" by the Isaan people, and are not too fussed with seeing other farang, then then more rural you live, the more special they'll make you feel. Although you want fast reasonably reliable internet, then don't go too rural lol.

• Like 1

Yes, dengue is considered severe this year, although it is worse in the Chiang Mai region than Issan.

I have never stayed longer than a few days off and on in Issan because I get bored easily. However, I enjoy my visits to Udon Thani. My friends and I have spent time in the national park and hired a boat to have a picnic on the river, or just to watch the fishermen at work with their amazing net contraptions (too many nets I think). I rather enjoyed my inspections of the countryside as the people are so much more friendly than in the tourist zones. I rather like the Central shopping center as it has everything one could need. Udon Thani is rather liveable and I find it calm and clean.

Kohn Kaen is too big for me, but they have the best BBQ chicken in all of Thailand. wink.png

How do you have a picnic on a river? Don't your sarnies go all soft?

Without a GF I already have, I would never come to the idea to live in Isaan ! rolleyes.gif

Houses, with a cooking possibility, can start in Isaan country side with 1.000 Baht a month as I see.

Internet is also improving even faster with 3 G now True move but fast not cheap!

Other providers follow now.

Edited by ALFREDO

Had a lady in Buriram - (mid 40's, schoolteacher,...) When I retired in 2008, I moved from San Francisco to Buriram. After 1 1/2 years, I realized that I had just been played for the bigges fool in the world - (Walking ATM machine!) so I moved to Bangkok. The family, the neighbors, the co-workers the whole town - all know that farangs are filthy rich and fair game to cheat, swindle, steal, extort,.. from.

• Like 1

dengue fever is mainly spread by the media. if you are of working class background isaan will be fine 4u. except for the deep south of thailand, security isnt an issue. 5000 bht apartment/room no problem, and perhaps a small house out of town.

Dengue fever doesn't impact middle class people? Anyway, yes dengue is a bit of a problem this year and record cases are being reported in Thailand. I have seen more cases in person this year than any other year although I live across the border in Laos.

It just goes with the territory, if the idea of dengue or malaria bothers you, then you may really want to consider exactly what you are doing. I live around these parts and don't take any medicines or special precautions, if it happens, it happens.

I live in Southern Buriram. There is plenty of rental accommodation available in my local town, for what you are looking at 5,000 baht a month is plenty, you could no doubt get something to suit your needs for half that. On your arrival I suggest you book into an hotel or guest house and let it be known you are looking for rental accommodation. The locals here are usually genuine and friendly and will assist.

Why Buriram in particular?

As he said, initially it was just because of a lady, I would suggest.

Same with me and I would reconsider if alone.

I wonder how many would consider it - as a first port of call - if they were on their own.

You and I benefit from knowing the area and how things work. This experience enables someone to live up here alone - I am not sure I would have been ready when I first landed on these shores.

• Like 1

Anywhere in Isaan is a good place to live, depending on what you want.

e.g. If you want other farang to talk to, then stick to the cities, particularly Udon/Khon Kaen. If you enjoy being made to feel "special" by the Isaan people, and are not too fussed with seeing other farang, then then more rural you live, the more special they'll make you feel. Although you want fast reasonably reliable internet, then don't go too rural lol.

Another outdated piece of advice.

There are absolutely loads of westerners living in and around Buriram and Surin. Loads and loads and loads.

Great true 3g coverage.(if going rural).

I would imagine that the cost of living is cheaper too.

Why Buriram in particular?

As he said, initially it was just because of a lady, I would suggest.

Same with me and I would reconsider if alone.

I wonder how many would consider it - as a first port of call - if they were on their own.

You and I benefit from knowing the area and how things work. This experience enables someone to live up here alone - I am not sure I would have been ready when I first landed on these shores.

Agree and as a single person (again), I seriously considered elsewhere after calling Isaan (or In-sane) home for over 7 years.