Phoenix Golf course

sometime

That's the rumor I've heard. From quite reliable sources. Talk is of adding another 9 holes.

If you drive around there now, you'll see the empty lots have been cleaned out, brush removed, and signs up everywhere with lot numbers.

• 2 months later...

The new owners of Phoenix Golf Club are creating havoc. As of tomorrow Friday November 1st, we have to pay 400 baht to play, a 350 baht caddie fee and we have to take a buggy alone for which we have to pay 600 baht. On top of that, we will shortly have to pay 24,000 baht for the pleasure of being a member and if they ever unfreeze the membership buying and selling, we must pay the club a 200,000 baht fee for arranging the sale/purchase. Does anyone know if this is legal as all the members are shareholders in the company called Phoenix Golf Club. Incidentally, they have changed the name to Phoenix Gold Golf Club. Sneeky eh. I seem to recall a similar thing happening at Natural Park Hill and Natural Park Resort where the new owners changed the names to Crystal Bay and Mountain Shadow and tried to get rid of all the members. The legal people found in the favour of the members and told the new owners not to be so silly. Are there any legal eagles out there who can offer any advice.

The new owners are making a damn fine effort at tearing new ones for all existing members.

As well as the above mentioned I've been informed the 24k yearly fee is not per membership but per member - so this means kids and wives playing off hubbies membership need to fork out 24k themselves as well for the privilege of giving even more money to Khun Yaowapa - nice !

To add to the woes, a few of the other items they've announced : they want bookings 7 days in advance, there's 3 different levels of membership from VIP to Scrub - not sure whats the one in the middle but the club are proud to announce that all levels will be treated differently - again not sure how but presumably in reactions ranging from fawning to contempt.

One caddie who was at a meeting with the GM informed that when the caddies announced the general feeling of discontent among the members they had been caddying for, the response was that they don't give a toss and if anyone wants to sell their membership they'll buy them back at 20% of the value - which based on the sudden plummet in numbers playing there will be 0 baht.

A purge well done I say.