Bringing An Infant In.

Hello,

I am a Malaysian housewife married to European man who is working here in Thailand. We are in the midst of adopting a child privately. Because it is done privately, the Malaysian law requires that the Malay child reside with us for two years. Upon completion of that two years, we will be given the offical certificate of adoption if everything meets approval.

Now my problem is the 'two years',

What visa can I apply for the infant to be able to stay with us for two years without any adoption documentation, for we will not have any until after two years?

What would be my best course of action?

Any feedback would be most appreciated.

Thank you so much.

I am a Malaysian housewife married to European man who is working here in Thailand.
from you saying "here in thailand", it sounds like you are currently in thailand with your husband. i'm assuming the child is still in malaysia.
We are in the midst of adopting a child privately. Because it is done privately, the Malaysian law requires that the Malay child reside with us for two years.

when you return to malaysia, go to a thai embassy/consulate and bring your child with ALL the paperwork you have. you will need to have a birth certificate. the child i believe will first need to get a malaysian passport if he/she is coming from malaysia. the apropriate visa is up to the thai consulate after that.

doctor pp what are your thoughts? on a similiar question you have suggested that for infants they can arrive on a tourist visa and an overstay has no effect on a child up to age five.

I am a Malaysian housewife married to European man who is working here in Thailand.

from you saying "here in thailand", it sounds like you are currently in thailand with your husband. i'm assuming the child is still in malaysia.

We are in the midst of adopting a child privately. Because it is done privately, the Malaysian law requires that the Malay child reside with us for two years.
when you return to malaysia, go to a thai embassy/consulate and bring your child with ALL the paperwork you have. you will need to have a birth certificate. the child i believe will first need to get a malaysian passport if he/she is coming from malaysia. the apropriate visa is up to the thai consulate after that.

doctor pp what are your thoughts? on a similiar question you have suggested that for infants they can arrive on a tourist visa and an overstay has no effect on a child up to age five.

Up to 7 years Huski.... it pays for the kid to arrive on a visa then overstay. It is strictly not the legal interpretatation, but it is the practice. The child will need a passport to enter Thailand, or anywhere else. If there is a passport, I see no problem.