Pizza in Italy, and Our Good Fortune to Have The Dukes

Rasseru

Let me say right up front that I have no connection with The Dukes beyond that fact that I've been eating there a few times a month for some years now and have always liked it, the food and the service.

Here's my story. I just got home a few weeks ago from five weeks of travel with my wife in Rome and Tuscany. The purpose of the trip was pleasure, and a big part of the pleasure we sought and found was in trying a wide range of Italian food and wine.

We like pizza, but when it comes to the kind of food we want to eat in Italy, pizza is not high up on the list. As a result ,we had pizza only perhaps four or five times while we were there. That said, two of the places we went to, one in Rome and one in Florence, are quite famous locally for their pizza, and frequently have long lines of people waiting to get in.

So guess what? The pizza I had in Italy was good, yes, sometimes even great, but every time, at every place, I kept thinking to myself that the pizza at The Dukes is better. Seriously. And not just a little better. Quite a bit better.

I am grateful we have The Dukes in Chiangmai. Oh, and not just for the pizza either, which I love, yes, but don't eat there all that much, compared with other dishes.

[David, I'll send you my bank account information separately. :) ]

Fair comparison if that's your experience.

Now we await the New York and San Francisco crust, guys. biggrin.png

I lived in New York from the mid-80s through the mid-90s. I never had a pizza there I liked as much as The Duke's. San Francisco I lived in too, but that was long ago, in the decade that if you remember, you weren't there, so I can't -- can't fairly, that is, and so won't at all -- throw their pizzas into the mix.

Fair comparison if that's your experience.

Now we await the New York and San Francisco crust, guys. biggrin.png

I lived in New York from the mid-80s through the mid-90s. I never had a pizza there I liked as much as The Duke's. San Francisco I lived in too, but that was long ago, in the decade that if you remember, you weren't there, so I can't -- can't fairly, that is, and so won't at all -- throw their pizzas into the mix.

That would be the decade they made love on pizzas....and anything else. biggrin.png

I don't eat pizza often, maybe twice a year, but when I do I prefer the best, so I eat it at Dukes

• Like 1

Speaking of pizza, Dave is letting the VFW POST 12074 sell large pizza w/2 toppings, the tickets, a 480baht value at 350baht, a savings of 130baht on each pizza. This is a fundraiser for VFW POST 12074. If you are hungry and like pizza let me know through a pm, I don't deliver but I can meet you in town close to a location that is suitable for you. http://www.vfw-chiangmai.com/ or VFW POST 12074 on Facebook.

Edited by jarhead50200

Speaking of pizza, Dave is letting the VFW POST 12074 sell large pizza w/2 toppings, the tickets, a 480baht value at 350baht, a savings of 130baht on each pizza. This is a fundraiser for VFW POST 12074. If you are hungry and like pizza let me know through a pm, I don't deliver but I can meet you in town close to a location that is suitable for you. http://www.vfw-chiangmai.com/ or VFW POST 12074 on Facebook.

Sent you a PM Jarhead ref coupon

The link below (if I am able to attach it) should help you find it, baywatch82.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'how much pizza' is there. There are a number of basic varieties on the menu, if memory serves, but I always go with ordering specifically all the toppings I want.

Hope this helps.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293917-d780687-Reviews-The_Duke_s-Chiang_Mai.html

Sometimes one likes what they're use to, not putting down Dukes in any way, like no meatloaf could ever taste better than my Mom's (well not mine she was a pretty god awful cook of British descent). Naples is my favorite pizza spot in Italy and although I'm not a big pizza guy myself my kids are connoisseurs and now you've really got me having to try Dukes' pies again (the first time was not great but hopefully a one time event due to a few circumstances which I give Dave and his crew a pass on). But be ready this time as we'll be in soon rolleyes.gif .

p.s. I've had some really enjoyable meals at Dukes esp. his steaks and the Thanksgiving dinners

• Like 2

I hear about it a lot on this forum. I am a pizza lover. How much is pizza there, where it is exactly located ? Any link ? map ? menu ?

I did my google research, but did not find what I am looking for.

Dukes is one of the sponsors click on his add.

Or buy a coupon from jarhead and he will give you directions.

I have never been to dukes, I have tried success pizza (next to dukes), good pizza 7/10 , the best pizza I have tried in Chiang Mai is at Vulcano Italian restaurant in soi 17 nim.... rd, price average 200 b for 12 " size.

Let me say right up front that I have no connection with The Dukes beyond that fact that I've been eating there a few times a month for some years now and have always liked it, the food and the service.

Here's my story. I just got home a few weeks ago from five weeks of travel with my wife in Rome and Tuscany. The purpose of the trip was pleasure, and a big part of the pleasure we sought and found was in trying a wide range of Italian food and wine.

We like pizza, but when it comes to the kind of food we want to eat in Italy, pizza is not high up on the list. As a result ,we had pizza only perhaps four or five times while we were there. That said, two of the places we went to, one in Rome and one in Florence, are quite famous locally for their pizza, and frequently have long lines of people waiting to get in.

So guess what? The pizza I had in Italy was good, yes, sometimes even great, but every time, at every place, I kept thinking to myself that the pizza at The Dukes is better. Seriously. And not just a little better. Quite a bit better.

I am grateful we have The Dukes in Chiangmai. Oh, and not just for the pizza either, which I love, yes, but don't eat there all that much, compared with other dishes.

[David, I'll send you my bank account information separately. :) ]

Well, all depend if you like pizza "US style" or "Italian Style".

Are different, especially for the topping, can not compare.

The Duke's pizza is not typical of an American style pizza. The crust is thinner than a typical American pie and the texture is different. Rosseru seems to like it better than pizzas in both Italy and America. I would not go that far, but IMO, it is much better than anything else I can get locally.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Would have to agree that The Dukes Pizza would have to rate as one of the better pizzas in CM but that's not really saying much. Always go for the ribs. But what's up with the square pizza slices. Know I can request the pie being cut into pie slices but really?

Saying that any particular pizza is the best is like saying yellow is the best colour. It's a personal thing, Dukes makes a decent pizza, so does New york style pizza and pasta which I prefer, but that is only my opinion.

I find dukes acceptable would be interested in trying out

New york style pizza and pasta can you give the location?

You are quite correct it is a matter of choice when it comes to taste. So far I have not found any thing I would consider outstanding here in Chiang Mai. But I am anxious to try this New york style pizza and pasta place you prefer.

Would have to agree that The Dukes Pizza would have to rate as one of the better pizzas in CM but that's not really saying much. Always go for the ribs. But what's up with the square pizza slices. Know I can request the pie being cut into pie slices but really?

I think its so the cheese wont come off , like it would if it was sliced in large triangles.

I always thought the crust was similar to a Red Baron pizza back home.

For sure Pizza is a personal taste, I have also found that when I have eaten in Italy pizza has been very dissapointing to my tastes. The best Pizza I can remember eating is in Crakow Poland and somewhere in South West China it might have been Dali, I remember both were stone baked oven pizzas and maybe it was down to the great time I was having in these places that the pizza tasted so good. The Dukes is OK for pizza but not there best dish.

I`ve never liked pizza from birth. They smell, taste and look like someone has vomited on a plate. As a matter of fact, I don`t think pizzas originate from Italy, but are another American invention.

But I will say that in my opinion the Dukes is now the only decent Western style restaurant in Chiang Mai, probably in the whole of Northern Thailand.

When I have visitors over from abroad, I always take them to the Dukes. I especially enjoy their fried chicken, wonderful cheese salads and recommend the peppered steaks.

I describe the Dukes as a 5 star establishment with 3 star prices.

I`ll probably be in there tomorrow, as suddenly I feel a Dukes coming on.

I`ve never liked pizza from birth. They smell, taste and look like someone has vomited on a plate. As a matter of fact, I don`t think pizzas originate from Italy, but are another American invention.

But I will say that in my opinion the Dukes is now the only decent Western style restaurant in Chiang Mai, probably in the whole of Northern Thailand.

When I have visitors over from abroad, I always take them to the Dukes. I especially enjoy their fried chicken, wonderful cheese salads and recommend the peppered steaks.

I describe the Dukes as a 5 star establishment with 3 star prices.

I`ll probably be in there tomorrow, as suddenly I feel a Dukes coming on.

You lose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizza

Saying that any particular pizza is the best is like saying yellow is the best colour. It's a personal thing, Dukes makes a decent pizza, so does New york style pizza and pasta which I prefer, but that is only my opinion.

You are quite correct it is a matter of choice when it comes to taste. So far I have not found any thing I would consider outstanding here in Chiang Mai. But I am anxious to try this New york style pizza and pasta place you prefer.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. The restaurant is on hwy 3029 between 121 (canal road) and 108 (hang dong road). If you head south from airport plaza on hang dong road, turn right at the Big C light, about 200 metres on your left, good food and a friendly atmosphere. Cheers

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. The restaurant is on hwy 3029 between 121 (canal road) and 108 (hang dong road). If you head south from airport plaza on hang dong road, turn right at the Big C light, about 200 metres on your left, good food and a friendly atmosphere. Cheers

Now you tell me we just got back from Big C a couple of hours ago.sad.png

That's OK I have a doctor appointment friday in the area,smile.png