Deal on flight from BKK to USM?

My family and I are coming to Samui next spring, and we're wondering when the best time to purchase the flights from BKK would be.

Our date to Samui will definitely need to be April 1, but the return date is flexible +/- 1 day around June 19. Flight times are flexible on both legs, but I don't want a 6am or 10pm flight.

Unfortunately, Bangkok Air has an almost monopoly on the BKK-USM route, with only 2 Thai Airways flights thrown in. Fares to Samui are almost always higher than to Phuket, although the distance isn't further.

RIght now I see this:

• Bangkok Air: 9860 Baht per adult incl. taxes. Only the "Web Freedom" fare is available that far in advance.
    • For October 2013 (just to pick something in low-ish season that's not that far in the future), "Web Saver" is 8180 per person. "Web Promotion" is 7000, but always just available on the 6am flight, which I'm not willing to take.
  • Thai Airways: 10420 Baht per adult incl. taxes. Only "Economy Full Flex" is available

So here are my questions:

1. When can I expect the Web Saver fares for Bangkok Air to become available for April/June 2014?
  2. When could I expect a cheaper fare on Thai Airways, like an "Economy Restricted"?
  3. Is either airline likely to run a special sale on this route for my period, and what price could I expect then?
  4. Is there a better place to buy the tickets than the airlines' websites?

Many forum members fly this route frequently, so hopefully they can speak from experience on these questions.

Thanks!!

Edited by yoellax

Sorry I will not help much, but unfortunately 10000 the round trip is "the" price. Hard to find better :(

I don't think you can pay much less than that :(

Or you can go by big vip bus for 1000thb :-) I used to do it when I had no money :-) 10 times cheaper, 6 times slower, 5 time less comfortable.... 2000 times more dangerous... :( Main problem in fact....

• Like 1

Our date to Samui will definitely need to be April 1, but the return date is flexible +/- 1 day around June 19. Flight times are flexible on both legs, but I don't want a 6am or 10pm flight.

Try booking from wherever you're coming from to Samui (via BKK of course) with a travel agent...sometimes it works out cheaper if the airline you're using has a code-share with Bangkok Airways

Try booking from wherever you're coming from to Samui (via BKK of course) with a travel agent...sometimes it works out cheaper if the airline you're using has a code-share with Bangkok Airways

Yes I know, they have codeshares with:

British Airways

Air Berlin

Etihad

Qatar Airways

Finnair

Air France

Eva Air

Malaysia Airlines

JAL

I'm not likely to fly one of these...

You could consider flying from BKK to Suratthani on the mainland (less than an hours drive from the ferry to Samui by car), and take the bus+ferry from Suratthani airport to Samui. I have never tried it, but understand from others it is a lot cheaper. The downside is that the bus/ferry part adds a few hours extra each way, but if your family has never seen Samui/Thailand before, you could consider that part of the trip an excursion/sightseeing biggrin.png Also, while you may still be on a bus, it is much much safer than a busride all the way from Bangkok. I suppose you can google the details if interested.

British Airways

Air Berlin

Etihad

Qatar Airways

Finnair

Air France

Eva Air

Malaysia Airlines

JAL

Go and try a travel agent for your flights from your origin to Samui. They maybe cheaper. This maybe another option.

If the BKK-USM flight is part of an international flight then the price is usually in the region of 60 quid. For example... MCR-BKK-MCR is around 600 while MCR-BKK-USM-BKK-MCR or MCR-BKK-URT-BKK-MCR are both around the 660 mark. BKK-URT leg would be Nok air or air Asia I guess? Not sure.

If the BKK-USM flight is part of an international flight then the price is usually in the region of 60 quid. For example... MCR-BKK-MCR is around 600 while MCR-BKK-USM-BKK-MCR or MCR-BKK-URT-BKK-MCR are both around the 660 mark. BKK-URT leg would be Nok air or air Asia I guess? Not sure.

That's true IF the arline on the int'l leg has a code share with Bangkok Airways or Thai Airways. In your example, you're probably looking at British Airways, which does have a code share (see my post above).

I'm unlikely to fly one of the codeshare airlines. Also, I'm thinking of actually shelling out the dough to fly business to BKK, and I wouldn't want to pay extra to fly businesses on the short BKK-USM leg. Adding an economy domestic leg to a business int'l leg usually also wouldn't get the discount you're talking about.

Turkish Airlines has a good deal in business class from Germany to BKK, but that's another topic altogether ....

But with International Flight, he arrives at Suvarnabhumi, but NOK and Air ASIA Service only from Don Mueang, so he has to Transfer to the old Airport.

If he flys in with Thai Air, the domestic flight with Thai is nearly for free, if he books through to Surat.

From Surat Airport to Samui/Nathon he shoud consider about 4 hours in total.

But he has to know, 1.April is "Songkran" period, so Little Chance for "Special Fare"

Edited by goldfinger

That's true IF the arline on the int'l leg has a code share with Bangkok Airways or Thai Airways. In your example, you're probably looking at British Airways, which does have a code share (see my post above).

I'm unlikely to fly one of the codeshare airlines. Also, I'm thinking of actually shelling out the dough to fly business to BKK, and I wouldn't want to pay extra to fly businesses on the short BKK-USM leg. Adding an economy domestic leg to a business int'l leg usually also wouldn't get the discount you're talking about.

Turkish Airlines has a good deal in business class from Germany to BKK, but that's another topic altogether ....

I fly Emirates which does not seem to be on the list.

Only some of the BKK-USM flights have business seats though I don't know if they are even sold as such. I fly with wheelchair assistance and always get 'upgraded' to a business class seat if the flight has them.

Your thinking of flying business class to BKk and then you worry about a few baht for the Samui leg. I think you make up stories

British Airways

Air Berlin

Etihad

Qatar Airways

Finnair

Air France

Eva Air

Malaysia Airlines

JAL

If you are not going to fly with one of the above what airline are you considering.

It is usually cheaper to book the Samui leg at the same time as the International leg even if the airline does not code-share. Talk to your travel agent.

There are normally no 'real cheap' flights in the April period - Easter/Songkhran holidays.

As for the cheapest flights - I just keep checking the web-site. Luckily I only fly every few years or so.

hi

i would say that with the advise given so far [which you cant /wont use ]

then Bangkok airways have you by the short and curlys

welcome to Samui

Don't knock it because as I said on another thread, it keeps the riff raff off the island.

• Like 2

hi

i would say that with the advise given so far [which you cant /wont use ]

then Bangkok airways have you by the short and curlys

welcome to Samui

Don't knock it because as I said on another thread, it keeps the riff raff off the island.

Have you been out and about in Samui lately?

• 3 weeks later...

SWMBO and I are flying to Bangkok then directly to Koh Samui for a week next January. Then we return to Bangkok for 4 nights before heading back to London. I bought EVA Airways flights directly from them a few days ago at a total cost of £1254.30 for the two of us just to Bangkok. Looking at their website today shows a price to include the Koh Samui flights of £2564.70!! Yep, that's an extra £1310.40 for the BKK - USM legs, more than the cost from LHR - BKK! I'll be booking these with Bangkok Airways direct and save the £900 for something far better.

Incidentally, I've noticed that the EVA prices go up and down more frequently than Thai bar girls' knickers! You have to keep a careful eye on them for the best price - and on the EVA website for their prices too wink.png

The best option is avoid bandit air use airasia or nok air to surat thani airport then hire a car to drive yourself to donsak ferry only 1 hrs away, hire the car more than 5 days free drop off charge, cheapest car rental around 700 Baht per day fully including insurances, to take car over on ferry will cost 470 baht for (car+driver) plus 150 per passenger. beauitful signseeing on the way to donsak.

Getting to don meung airport is only about 40 min away from suvarnabhuri by free bus shuttle every 1 hrs, if you taken flights after 3pm as you will be pushing for time to catch the last ferry to samui but dont worry there is rare pink dolphins to be see at beach next to ferry port stay over a night and wake up morning and you will seen them all biggrin.png and you can stay for the night around 700-1000 baht a night sea view. then you can take ferry anytime you want as it run every hour till 7pm.

On the return do the same;-)

i have been doing this since stop flying bandit airways and i eat more and see more and do more and car hire around samui 4 day or more as ive rather spend it on myself then giving it to them lol and still cost me less.

Good luck