Confused!

mooris7

I have been teaching English for about 4 years in Asia and I have never came across this issue before. Today I was teaching my K1 class. I needed help from the thai teacher so I asked her to come over and confirm a students name because I was giving an oral test. As she was talking with me she put her hand on my leg. I thought Thai teachers were part of the traditional conservative Thais. She is very beautiful and I am single. What do you guys think it means? Should I ask her out?

The day i met my future wife and asked her a question at the school we both worked at she stuck her finger deep into my ear canal, pulled out a big blob of earwax and proceeded to suck on her finger like a babe to its mothers breast. I knew then that it was true love...in other words mate, your in like Flynn, aske her out already!

• Like 1

The day i met my future wife and asked her a question at the school we both worked at she stuck her finger deep into my ear canal, pulled out a big blob of earwax and proceeded to suck on her finger like a babe to its mothers breast. I knew then that it was true love...in other words mate, your in like Flynn, aske her out already!

i truly feel ill.

if that happened to me i would be embarrassed that my ears were that dirty and disgusted at what had just happened.

as for the op, keep confirming those student names, maybe you will get your answer

i truly feel ill.

if that happened to me i would be embarrassed that my ears were that dirty and disgusted at what had just happened.

as for the op, keep confirming those student names, maybe you will get your answer

Do you always believe what people write on the internetto be factual?

• Like 1

In all seriousness though...as I can see that a few of you are a little squemish...

I would ask one of her teacher friends if they know if she is single or not. The news will get back to her in a flash and if she is single, and is interested things will kick off soon enough. Its the best way to do it in the context of Thai culture. Just asking her may be too direct, Thailand is all about being subtle..snaking your way around things. This technique has worked for me on numerous occasions.

i truly feel ill.

Do you always believe what people write on the internetto be factual?

no i dont, the thought is still rather unpleasant though innit?

You have to be careful when fiddling around with the teachers at the school you teach. I ended up marrying my wife (what a coincidence) but if you just want a bit of slap and tickle your best off looking elsewhere. Your life can be made VERY difficult if you piss the wrong woman off at a place you work at

• Like 1

Don't date, or even ask out a colleague. You are just asking for trouble in the long run. If it works out and you are married forever, no harm, but that usually doesn't happen.

You could jeopardize your job and also future jobs from a bad situation developing.

FYI being touched isn't always a come on. Some people are just friendly. But if you are God's gift to women and everyone that smiles at you wants you, then you should keep living that dream.

Personally, I find anyone that asks for dating advice on a public forum to be either socially inept or a troll.

• Like 1

A similar thing happened to me several times in my last school. Both times they were female teaching assistants,attractive and young.

I was surprised but later found out they were very 'touchy/feely' and it meant nothing other than a friendly touch.

More's the pity......

giggle.gif

• Like 1

My advice - If she's a colleague, it's best to stay away, unless u can keep it a secret. Rumors like that spread like wild-fire. And Thai teachers have nothing better to do in there spare time other than gossip to each other. EVEN if you were to look at her in a way a Thai teacher thought was inappropriate, it will still get around. Some Thais are generally the touchy-feely type, so be sure otherwise you may end up embarrassing yourself. Learn the lingo! Basic Thai always impresses girls. A few 'farang' guys have approached me at pubs that spoke Thai. Although I wasn't attracted, I was still still impressed smile.png Oh, yea! Facebook is also a good start. If you can get her FB, and hold a conversation for more than an hour..... You're in like flinn !

Kirsty..what's your Facebook?

j/k

wai2.gif

• Like 1

My advice - If she's a colleague, it's best to stay away, unless u can keep it a secret. Rumors like that spread like wild-fire. And Thai teachers have nothing better to do in there spare time other than gossip to each other. EVEN if you were to look at her in a way a Thai teacher thought was inappropriate, it will still get around. Some Thais are generally the touchy-feely type, so be sure otherwise you may end up embarrassing yourself. Learn the lingo! Basic Thai always impresses girls. A few 'farang' guys have approached me at pubs that spoke Thai. Although I wasn't attracted, I was still still impressed smile.png Oh, yea! Facebook is also a good start. If you can get her FB, and hold a conversation for more than an hour..... You're in like flinn !

Beat me too it:) I was about to mention facebook. Thai girls can be rather shy in person, and particularly if they can't verbally express themselves well. Adding her on facebook could be a good idea, as she will be more confident to write and express her feelings. But yes, just be aware of the professional relationship. Noone want to lost their job.

• Like 1

Kristys reply is pretty much spot on.

Her touching your leg doesn't necessarily mean anything. You'll have lots of people in Thailand who will touch your leg or arm, for two reasons.

1/ they are just kinda touches feely people. Men as well sometimes, it can make you feel pretty weird sometimes.

2/ there is a Thai or maybe Isaan thing whereby they kinda say/feel that someone is "soo beautiful you want to touch" or something like that. Old ladies will do it more than young ones though.

And as Kristy says, be careful of gossip. As by Thai countryside style, if you have sex you're pretty much married. And a lot of the people in the cities were raised in the countryside. People like to connect the dots and gossip about it. As a result, Thai people usually hide the start of their relationship. Therefore if you give the gossip mongers even a small sign of something, they will read volumes into it.

Which wouldn't be too bad if it was true and you were serious and got married. But if it there was nothing in it, and then they think you're getting friendly with someone else, they might think you're "shou shu" or a bit of a playboy (which might ruin your chances with anyone you did actually fancy and in general be frowned upon).

Because of the above, it's unlikely any "good Thai girl", would be that forward while at work. And most female teachers are "good girls", as its an expectation of teachers to uphold Thai moral values.

If you're interested in anyone at your school, be very circumspect about it until you are ready to get serious.

All of the above are things I never understood when I first came to Thailand, not until I met my gf and she explained how it all works. Which then kinda connected the dots for me as to why some people had confused the hell out of me. It really made me look back at the first school I taught at, and think about how much of an idiot I was while teaching there lol.

• Like 2

I think asking her out would be a very big mistake as she is your colleague which makes it fundamentally wrong.

I wouldn't look into the whole 'touching your leg' business: just recently, at university, a classmate of mine told me of an incident which occurred as he was walking to the bathroom - a female Thai classmate of ours pounced out from behind a wall to startle him and then rubbed her face on his arm, like a cat might when trying to tell you it would like some snacks.

There was no hidden meaning - just a normal day - at ease soldier.

• Like 1

Logic and experience would have me tell you to stay away but the caveman inside of me says go for it! Most of the farang/thai teacher hookups at my school ended up playing out like a bad shakespearean drama with the most extreme examples being a thai teacher pulling a knife on a farang teacher outside of school.

I slept with my thai teacher during the first week of school and by exam time she was taking books off my desk and throwing them out of the window while crying. She eventually quit but it was not fun for awhile. Thai teachers talk a lot too and your business and/or drama will now be common knowledge at school.

If I were a betting man then I'd say it will probably end up being weird. Up to you khrap

Edited by Christapho
  • Like 2

I slept with my thai teacher during the first week of school and by exam time she was taking books off my desk and throwing them out of the window while crying. She eventually quit but it was not fun for awhile. Thai teachers talk a lot too and your business and/or drama will now be common knowledge at school.

If I were a betting man then I'd say it will probably end up being weird. Up to you khrap

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz coffee1.gif