Thailand urges militant group to explain continued attacks in far South

Lite Beer

Thailand urges militant group to explain continued attacks in far South
By English News

13754243198484-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, Aug 2 - Thailand's National Security Council chief today urged the Barisan Revolusi Nasional (BRN) militant group to clarify why insurgent attacks have continued in the deep South despite an agreed truce during the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan.

NSC Secretary-General Lt Gen Paradorn Pattnathabut, reacting in the wake of a string of arsons at rubber factories and other businesses in the restive southern border provinces early Friday, said explanations are in order.

Gen Paradorn said he assigned the Southern Border Provinces Administration Centre (SBPAC) to collect information on the attacks in the region before formally seeking clarification on the incidents from the Malaysian government, a facilitator of the peace talks between the Thai government and the BRN.

He said the Malaysian government will forward the Thai government letter to the BRN seeking clarification why the attacks continued and they should state which groups are responsible for the incidents.

Gen Paradorn however noted that in previous years violent attacks usually occurred at the middle to the end of Ramadan. The trend continued this year.

He said most of the militants at the operational level are still young, and may disagree with the peace talks, but the Thai government insists that the peace process must continue.

Interior Minister Jarupong Ruangsuwan said he has been informed that the attacks occurred in 11 locations of four provinces -- Songkhla, Yala, Pattani, and Narathiwat.

He said Deputy Permanent-Secretary for Interior Panu Uthairat has been instructed to visit the areas inspect and report on the situation.

The minister said the insurgents took the opportunity of the Muslim religious occasion to plant bombs when people flock into the commercial areas to buy goods and food for the celebration of the end of Ramadan.

But Mr Jarupong refused to comment whether the insurgents have changed their attack targets to factories and commercial areas, saying they should not do so as it damages the region economy and causes trouble to the local residents.

Meanwhile, Pheu Thai Party deputy spokesman Anusorn Eiamsa-ard said the arson attacks were aimed at discrediting the Thai government, and destroying the region's economy, as well as discrediting the BRN for being unable to control the insurgents.

He said the party condemned such attacks and is now investigating who are responsible for the incidents.

The spokesman also urged political groups not to politicise the issue, but should cooperate with the government to restore peace in the region.

Mr Anusorn reaffirmed the government will continue peace dialogue with the BRN despite the continuing attacks, saying that there should be clearer progress within this month. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-08-02

It was very foolish of the Thai government to believe the BRN represented all the separatists.They were warned before but in their usual pig headed way, ie the rice mortgage fiasco, they didn't listen.

When will they do something right?

I don't know, maybe because they are radicalized extremists that don't care what the government thinks. The only thing terrorist use "cease fires" for is to rearm, resupply, and take back lost ground. Again the arrogance of the Thai government is unreal.

And if they don't explain we will write another letter.

In the meantime we will continue to meet with the BRN and no doubt pay them for attending the meetings and house them in 5 star hotels the same as our delegates.

Could it be because they do not like the government, and the people in charge? Could it be because they feel that the legal system favors only a few. coffee1.gif

It seems to be that the Muslims have been doing this for ages against non Muslims

After each attach violent act they say we stop and the non Muslims like to believe this

Thailand urges militant group to explain...

And in the meantime, tell us exactly who you are, whether this ongoing slaughter is political, ethnic, religious or criminal in nature and what you want to end the killing. And while you are at it, don't forget to tell us where and who you will kill and maim next.

Utter nonsense.

Edited by arthurboy

Reported racist post removed

I guess that was my post? I'm sure you think that you are in the right here, but Islam is not a race. Islam has nothing at all to do with genetics, nor is it an innate characteristic. It is an ideology – a voluntarily-held set of beliefs about individual behavior and the rules of life.

Yes, I openly admit that I resent Islam and it's extremist followers. But again, please tell me how this is racism? Good luck with that. thumbsup.gif I.M.O, the real "racists" are the islamists, because they truly hate everyone who won't get on their knees for Allah. And we all know that they are always prepared to commit mass murder for their "religion of peace".

Quran (2:191-193) - "And kill them wherever you find them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out. And Al-Fitnah [disbelief] is worse than killing.

Quran (3:56) - "As to those who reject faith, I will punish them with terrible agony in this world and in the Hereafter, nor will they have anyone to help."

Quran (8:12) - "I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them".

A lot more here: http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/quran/023-violence.htm

And the thai government wonders why the violence won't stop? biggrin.png

Edited by ricku

Well I am new to Thai Visa but not to Reality.

the BRN in no way represent the terrorists. They are more like burnt out terrorists trying to find peace.

They know full good and well that the terrorists movements while Islamic in beliefs cares not what religion that people believe in when it comes to killing. They have one goal and only one goal in mind. An independent nation of their own. They know that Malaysia will not take them and the idea of Thailand letting them set up a government under Sharia Law will not happen so they fight for their own country with Sharia law.

Asking the BRN why the terrorists carry on with terrorism is about as intelligent as asking the hill tribe people why the Islam terrorists carry on with terrorism during Ramadan.

Edit

Sorry about the edit but I am having problems with my spell checksad.png

Edited by northernjohn

Well I am new to Thai Visa but not to Reality.

the BRN in no way represent the terrorists. They are more like burnt out terrorists trying to find peace.

They know full good and well that the terrorists movements while Islamic in beliefs cares not what religion that people believe in when it comes to killing. They have one goal and only one goal in mind. An independent nation of their own. They know that Malaysia will not take them and the idea of Thailand letting them set up a government under Sharia Law will not happen so they fight for their own country with Sharia law.

Asking the BRN why the terrorists carry on with terrorism is about as intelligent as asking the hill tribe people why the Islam terrorists carry on with terrorism during Ramadan.

Edit

Sorry about the edit but I am having problems with my spell checksad.png

The OP is negotiation/posturing by megaphone. Thai authorities & the BRN admitted that it was probable that armed militants from the various insurgency groups would carry out attacks during Ramadan, but hopefully at a lesser tempo.

By the way Sharia Law for civil matters has been in place in the deep South for many years refer to quote below. You're right, Thai government will not accept any change to the Constitution or the Criminal Code and the insurgency groups know this. As Arkady mentioned eventual autonomy or semi autonomy may be the outcome.

"As most of the population of the southern border provinces of Pattani, Narathiwat, Yala and Satun are Thai Muslims, the Government has since 1946 enacted a royal act to provide Thai Muslims in these provinces with the right to opt for the application of Islamic law concerning heritage and family affairs. The law also provides for the appointment of 2 ‘Dato Yuttitam’ (Islamic Judges) per provincial court". Source: http://www.thaiembassy.org/riyadh/th/organize/29025-Muslim-in-Thailand.html

Edited by simple1