Advice needed: budget Android mobile for 3G video calling

Could really use some suggestions for a budget/inexpensive Android mobile phone that hands-on users know for sure will work well with 3G video calling via apps like Skype, Tango, etc?

My Thai wife calls her Mom in another city every day, and hasn't been back for a home visit in quite a while. From talking to my wife, I know she'd like to actually see her Mom when they talk daily. But Mom is older, upcountry, is very non-techie, and doesn't have any wifi in their home at present.

My wife here already has a video calling-capable Android mobile and knows how to use it, with both 3G and wifi data access.

So I've been thinking about the idea of getting an inexpensive and hopefully simple Android mobile for my wife's Mom that I'd pre-set up for video calling with a corresponding 3G mobile data plan, and then all Mom would have to do would be to press the ANSWER key when my wife calls her.

Any suggestions for a simple, inexpensive Android mobile that would fit the bill for that? Obviously the mobile would have to have the second rear-facing camera for video calling and preferrably have access to the Google Play store. BTW, the wife and Mom both use AIS as their calling provider, so that's who would be providing 3G service for Mom's phone.

I was thinking the same thing about an inexpensive Android tablet... But trying to find one that's cheap, comes with a SIM slot for 3G data and has a rear-facing camera seems a bit of a challenge, especially since a lot of the tablets that claim to be video calling compatible seem to have LOTS of problems reported by their actual users. So perhaps using a mobile phone instead is a safer, better way to go, as well as hopefully being more familiar and easier to use for Mom. smile.png

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

PS - I'd also given some thought to a possible Nokia feature phone model... But I see that the Tango app doesn't work with any of those those, and last I checked, even Skype no longer is supporting video calling via Symbian -- just Android, Apple, Windows Phone and Blackberry.

What features does Skype for Symbian support?
Symbian

Skype for Symbian supports the following features:

• Skype-to-Skype voice calling
  • Calling mobiles and landlines anywhere in the world (requires Skype Credit or a subscription)
  • Receiving calls to your Skype Number
  • Participating in group call
  • Instant messaging
  • Sending emoticons
  • Sending SMS text messages and setting up sender ID
  • Voice Messaging
  • Call forwarding
  • Sending and receiving files
  • Sending and receiving contact details*
  • Synchronizing Skype status with phone calendar*
  • Updating your mood message to show what you have playing on your Mplayer*

The following features are not currently supported:

• Video calling
  • Starting a group call

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10918/what-features-does-skype-for-symbian-support

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

You should verify data usage (up and down) for Skype video calls and make sure 3G will support video calling, especially after you've reached a fair-use speed limit. I'm not certain how many minutes/hours you might get before you hit your FuP, and if Skype will work with a FuP of 128, 256 or even 384 Kbps.

The motorola Defy XT535 is good value for money, not fast as hell but still responsive and with a lot of features, gps, waterproof, 2 cams, etc... and just 4000 thb http://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=Motorola+XT535+Defy+XT+-+Black+Dust&baseUrl=&submit=

I recently bought an Iphone4 form true move for 6900 thb with a 2gb data plan of 12 month. http://store.truecorp.co.th/product/detail/42/iPhone_4#promotion I am satisfied of both motorola and apple devices because both a great value for money, but the Iphone is easy to use and far better in so many ways. Hope it will help. Cheers

Edited by metrox

You should verify data usage (up and down) for Skype video calls and make sure 3G will support video calling, especially after you've reached a fair-use speed limit. I'm not certain how many minutes/hours you might get before you hit your FuP, and if Skype will work with a FuP of 128, 256 or even 384 Kbps.

Yes...I know I need to do that.. Thanks for the advice, Loma... I'll see about the answer and try to post it here.

I'm pretty sure I can get Skype video to work with AIS 3G....even if it might be not the best video qual at times... And of course, they're not the only player in the video calling apps space.

The motorola Defy XT535 is good value for money, not fast as hell but still responsive and with a lot of features, gps, waterproof, 2 cams, etc... and just 4000 thb http://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=Motorola+XT535+Defy+XT+-+Black+Dust&baseUrl=&submit=

Thanks for the suggestion, Metrox... Have you ever used that mobile with Skype video calling, either via wifi or 3G?

I'm not certain if Skype will work with a FuP of 128, 256 or even 384 Kbps.

Skype will usually work with 384 Kps although the video can be poor and freeze up at times. I that happens you can still make free voice calls on skype and they're definitely OK with 384 Kps.

As for the amount of data skype uses, it's hard to assess but looking at the info on my phone I only use it for skype when I'm out and I might make/receive two/three calls a week lasting from a couple of minutes up to about ten minutes. In the last two weeks I've used 37.12MB of data on Skype. I will check exactly how much data my next call uses though.

As for phones, have a look at the i-mobile range. Something like the i-style 7.1 will work on all 3G frequencies and has a reasonable front facing camera. It's easy to use and at around 4000 baht or less it won't break the bank.

Better use i-mobile, so they can speak Thai with her, in case of problem she could ask help at any i-mobile shop/seller found everywhere in Thailand.

If you need a phone buy i-Mobile IQ9 or IQX.

They have tablets also.

Edited by bangkokstick

you can still make free voice calls on skype and they're definitely OK with 384 Kps

"Free"? I assume you mean after you've accounted for the cost of a 3G mobile data plan? Voice calls might be less expensive using a mobile phone rather than VoIP, but the OP seems to be hoping for video calls.

Fair-use speed caps are continually being adjusted downwards here so that 384 Kbps is becoming less available on all but the higher-priced plans.

The OP mentions using AIS so assuming that 3G is available where the MiL lives, AIS now has a 256 Kbps FuP as a maximum.

Edited by lomatopo

Thanks very much to all 3 of the new posters above... I'll give some shopping thought to the I-Mobiles..

About tablets, True's tablets, assuming they have SIMs, would be incompatible for 3G data plans with AIS service (different 3G frequencies), so I'm not sure that's a viable option for the wife's Mom, as an AIS customer.

Also, I'm a bit worried that Mom might have more difficulties in operating/using a tablet vs. a smartphone... obviously, she's never seen or used a tablet before... And Android tablets can be a bit techie when it comes to using them... I need something that's going to be Forrest Gump dumb simple.

Even if I just got Mom a 500 MB AIS 3G data plan, that'd still allow for a lot of Skype video calls in the month. My wife already has an unlimited calling Skype plan for Thailand, so she can always revert to regular free Skype VOIP phone calls to her Mom's regular mobile number if Mom's 3G data ran out after using it for video calling.

Even if I just got Mom a 500 MB AIS 3G data plan, that'd still allow for a lot of Skype video calls in the month.

And by "a lot" you mean 15 minutes per month? So 30 seconds per day?

I think people underestimate the bandwidth consumed for two-way video calls.

Just made a two minute skype call to a friend to get a rough guide and it used 1.12MB of data.smile.png

(that did include the short time skype was ringing before it was answered so no video data during that time)

Edited by sumrit

Fair-use speed caps are continually being adjusted downwards here so that 384 Kbps is becoming less available on all but the higher-priced plans.

The OP mentions using AIS so assuming that 3G is available where the MiL lives, AIS now has a 256 Kbps FuP as a maximum.

Loma, I'm not sure Fair Use is a big deal in my intended use... because the MIL won't be using the 3G data for anything else other than talking with my wife via video call.

And, AFAIK, my MIL ought to be able to get A LOT of video call time out of an Android mobile with an AIS 500 MB or 1 GB per month data plan...before any kind of reduction to Fair Use speeds would occur.

As I said, even if the MIL's 3G data allocation were to run out, my wife still has the ability to make unlimited Skype mobile calls to the Mom's regular mobile number (and that involves no data use by the MIL at all).

The $10 a month unlimited Skype calling promotion I posted on here previously (that includes Thailand mobile and fixed line numbers and a bunch of other countries) has really been a great benefit for my wife and my MIL. Now, the wife can call and call and call Mom via Skype to her heart's content, and we never have to worry a bit about how many mobile calling minutes she's piling up.

Now I'm just looking to up the ante a bit by seeing if we can't elevate those calls to the video calling platform.

Skype will usually work with 384 Kps although the video can be poor and freeze up at times. I that happens you can still make free voice calls on skype and they're definitely OK with 384 Kps.

As for the amount of data skype uses, it's hard to assess but looking at the info on my phone I only use it for skype when I'm out and I might make/receive two/three calls a week lasting from a couple of minutes up to about ten minutes. In the last two weeks I've used 37.12MB of data on Skype. I will check exactly how much data my next call uses though.

Loma, as I said, I haven't gotten to the bottom of the data usage/video calling issue yet..

But I think you might be overestimating the data use involved...

At the kind of rates that Sumrit is mentioning above (2 minute video call using 1+ MB), a 500 MB or 1 GB monthly plan would allow for a lot of video calling at regular plan speeds, before fair use would kick in.

Also, it's not like she'd need to do video calls EVERY day... But having some element of that would be a nice complement to the already existing unlimited Skype to Thailand numbers calling we already have.

Just made a two minute skype call to a friend to get a rough guide and it used 1.12MB of data.smile.png

(that did include the short time skype was ringing before it was answered so no video data during that time)

I'm assuming you're talking about a two minute VIDEO call via Skype, right?

Yes TallGuyJohninBKK, it was a video cal. I timed the call at two minutes (long enough for me to explain why I was calling). It did take maybe ten to fifteen seconds for my mate to answer so, although data was being used during that short period, there was no video data.

As a (very) rough guide to video data size, if you download (or stream) a one hour TV program (not in HD) the file size, for reasonable quality, is usually around 300+ MB. So using poor quality video for an hour, via Skype, I would think is going to consume a lot less data, even though the video is being uploaded as well as downloaded during the entire call.

IF my two minute call is any where near accurate even if you called it 1MB per minute you should get over eight hours per month (or over fifteen minutes per day) with a 500 MB plan.

And even if my test call was wildly out and you only averaged half a minute for one MB you'd still get the same time for a 1GB plan.

Edited by sumrit

BTW, what method did you use to measure the 3G data use involved with the Skype video call?

I've got an i-mobile IQ XA and in setting there's a data usage section. Within that it not only shows my total data usage but also how much data for each individual type of connection, and on each connection available (both sim cards and via wifi). eg:chrome, skype, gmail, play store, video streaming, individual apps such as thai visa.....................etc, etc. I simply checked the Skype usage before and after the call.

Edited by sumrit

As for Skype, here's what one of their FAQs says for Skype to Skype mobile video calling:

• Skype-to-Skype calls: 50kbps or around 3MB for one minute of calling
  • Calls to mobile numbers or landlines: 6-20 kbps or around 1MB for one minute of calling
  • Video calls between two mobile phone devices: 500kbps
  • Video calls between a mobile phone and a computer: 600kbps

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10853/how-much-data-will-skype-use-on-my-mobile-phone

So are they saying 30 MB per minute of video calling???

Agree with suggestions above to buy the MIL an i-mobile phone.

I have an iQ-1 model which I got on promotion for around THB 5800. Using on AIS.

Advantage of being a thai language phone will be a plus.

As a bonus - this one has a TV tuner built in which picks up all of the local Thai TV channels (a feature I have never ever used, but might be great for your modern day mother-in-law on the move)

Just as a suggestion to the OP regarding video calls - does it always have to be face-to-face video? To save on data, why not strike a balance between using video calls sometimes, and voice calls the other - but still using a skype-type of system.

Viber is another good platform along the lines of Skype.

As for Skype, here's what one of their FAQs says for Skype to Skype mobile video calling:

• Calls to mobile numbers or landlines: 6-20 kbps or around 1MB for one minute of calling

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10853/how-much-data-will-skype-use-on-my-mobile-phone

That does seem to be double what I used. My call went to Skype on his computer. I would guess mobile to mobile they're counting the amount of data both phones consume.

Here's what Tango support reported in response to a 2011 support query:

If you have a plan that limits your data consumption, then on average, approximately 2GB of data will be used if you make 450 minutes of video calls over 3G or 4G.

So that would suggest, a 1 GB AIS 3G plan ought to provide about 225 minutes of video calling per month before the Fair Use speed reduction point would be reached.

http://support.tango.me/entries/20516293-How-much-data-does-Tango-use-

Thanks for the suggestion, Metrox... Have you ever used that mobile with Skype video calling, either via wifi or 3G?

Sure, for familly communication both Defy and Iphone works fine, altrought it's may depand on your wifi/3g reception. I have the habit to walk when I call (both voice and voice and video) so sometimes it's freeze but it's normal with voip. But in fact I think you main problem will be to be sure that skype continuously run in background and the effect of this on the battery life.

Alcatel 908 one touch, 2600 baht on lazzada , I just got one as back and it's excellent

Have you tried it with Skype, Tango or other video calling over 3G or wifi?

Skype yes, do not use others and it works great, i mean for the price just can not go wrong(mind you on Lazzada its on 50% off sale)

That does seem to be double what I used. My call went to Skype on his computer. I would guess mobile to mobile they're counting the amount of data both phones consume.

I guess that Skype response isn't exactly clear if they mean TOTAL data use for both ends of the call...or just on one end.

Obviously, I only care about the per user data usage...in this case being the MIL... My wife would be using our house wifi for the video calls, so data usage on her end is irrelevant.

Need to check further on the Skype detail...and I'll try to run the same test at home between my and my wife's Android mobiles using Skype video.

Loma, I'm not sure Fair Use is a big deal in my intended use... because the MIL won't be using the 3G data for anything else other than talking with my wife via video call.

And, AFAIK, my MIL ought to be able to get A LOT of video call time out of an Android mobile with an AIS 500 MB or 1 GB per month data plan...before any kind of reduction to Fair Use speeds would occur.

As I said, even if the MIL's 3G data allocation were to run out, my wife still has the ability to make unlimited Skype mobile calls to the Mom's regular mobile number (and that involves no data use by the MIL at all).

The $10 a month unlimited Skype calling promotion I posted on here previously (that includes Thailand mobile and fixed line numbers and a bunch of other countries) has really been a great benefit for my wife and my MIL. Now, the wife can call and call and call Mom via Skype to her heart's content, and we never have to worry a bit about how many mobile calling minutes she's piling up.

Now I'm just looking to up the ante a bit by seeing if we can't elevate those calls to the video calling platform.

th MIL may not be using data, but the phone will

Alcatel 908 one touch, 2600 baht on lazzada , I just got one as back and it's excellent

I have had the Alcatel One Touch 918 - and while it is a good phone, it cannot support skype. Specs on the 908 are similar, so I would be surprised if this can do video calling with Skype. Only running 2.2

Skype yes, do not use others and it works great, i mean for the price just can not go wrong(mind you on Lazzada its on 50% off sale)

Thanks much LC!

But if it's running Froyo 2.2 as is shown here, that seems to be asking for difficulties.

http://www.gsmarena.com/alcatel_ot_908-3797.php

BTW, that same specs list does NOT show that model as having a secondary camera for video calling (the one pointing at you the caller).

I also note that the owner reviews at the bottom of the specs page specifically complain about that model's lack of capability for video calling, due to the lack of a second camera.