Thailand: Anti-amnesty bill group to tell global community of its stance

webfact

Anti-amnesty bill group to tell global community of its stance

BANGKOK, 5 August 2013 (NNT)-The anti-amnesty bill group is planning to convey to the international community its message regarding the current political situation in Thailand. Meanwhile, the number of the demonstrators is far fewer than anticipated.

Air Marshal Watchara Ritthakanee, one of the group’s core members, has reportedly been assigned to submit a letter to foreign embassies and the United Nations (UN) to inform them of the current political situation and the objective of the group's movement.

However, it is not clear whether it will be possible for the group to visit the UN Office, as it is located in the area protected by the Internal Security Act.

Meanwhile, the group has claimed that around 2,000 government backers are now on their way to central Bangkok, setting the scene for chaos, which will give the government an excuse to impose the Internal Security Act on their camping ground in Lumpini Park.

The demonstrators however said they would continue to stay at the park awaiting more anti- government demonstrators to join the rally.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-08-05 footer_n.gif

Rally enters 2nd day, fears of violence linger
By English News

13756850777554-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, Aug 5 – Anti-government protesters continued their rally at Lumpini Park for the second day today amid fears of infiltration by unscrupulous third parties which could degrade their political activity to violence.

Thaikorn Polsuwan, a core leader of the People’s Army against Thaksin Regime, said more provincial people will enter Bangkok to join the demonstration – mainly aimed at opposing a parliamentary debate on the controversial amnesty bill, set in the Lower House’s agenda on Wednesday.

He said a group of protesters, to be led by Air Marshal Vatchara Rithakanee, would submit a letter to the Chinese embassy this afternoon to explain the group’s principles in the rally.

A similar letter will be handed over to other embassies and international organisations in Bangkok, he added.

Mr Taikorn said he was worried by a report that some 2,000 “hard core” instigators were planning to incite unrest at the rally site to force the government to invoke the Internal Security Act (ISA) in Lumpini district.

Lumpini would be off-limits to demonstration if the ISA is enforced. The government has currently imposed the ISA in three key districts – Dusit, Pomprab Satrupai and Phra Nakhon – during August 1-10. Major government buildings and the Royal Palace are located in these three districts.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra arrived at Government House this morning under extra tight security. Many roads near Government House and Parliament House have been closed off to traffic since last week.

Meanwhile, Commander of the Royal Guard’s First Division Wara Bunyasith, said 12 military tanks will move from Nakhon Nayok to Kanchanburi tomorrow morning for routine training while separate training is also held in Lopburi.

Maj Gen Wara said the military tanks will move to Samsen train station for their journey to Kanchanaburi.

His statement was to eliminate people’s anxiety over a coup. He said it was a normal manoeuvre without any suspicious agenda. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-08-05

• Like 1

ANTI-THAKSIN MOVEMENT
People's Army to justify its movement to embassies, UN

BANGKOK: -- The People's Army is planning to submit letters to embassies, Asean, the EU and the UN to explain reasons behind its campaign to overthrow what it calls the "regime of ex-PM Thaksin Shinawatra."

Thaikorn Polsuwan, the group’s core leader, said the letter would be delivered to the Chinese Embassy on Monday afternoon at 3.

Also in the afternoon, Air Marshal Watchara Rithakani is to represent the group in submitting the letter to United Nations headquarters, which is in the area covered by the Internal Security Act.

The government has invoked the ISA in three districts of Bangkok until August 11.

"If he can enter the area without being arrested, he will submit the letter to the UN. Other protesters will not accompany him because we do not want to get them into trouble,'' he said.

Thaikorn warned the government against the move to impose the security law in Lumpini area, as he has been informed of the movement of 2,000 red shirts from the provinces heading to Bangkok.

"I have received a tip-off from a well-wisher that the government has intended to impose security law in Lumpini and it has to justify the imposition of the law,'' he said.

Thaikorn said he was also notified by the protesters that velvet beans, also known as cowitch, have been found in the park's restrooms. He has asked them to refrain from using the facilities until the itchy plant has been removed.

He said the People's Army would continue its sit-in protest at Lumpini park to wait for supporters from the provinces before deciding its next move.

The group has so far received Bt980,000 in donations, he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-05

Kittiratt: Anti-govt protests bad news for economy

BANGKOK, 5 August 2013 (NNT) - Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Kittiratt Na-Ranong warns the ongoing protests against the government might affect the economy and calls on all sides to stay peaceful.

The deputy premier said on Monday that the demonstrations might trouble the economy in terms of tourism, investment and domestic spending. He therefore urged the political groups and people who disagreed with the government to sit down and talk, saying all sides had to work together if they wanted to see economic stability.

The government would reconsider existing economic measures and launch more stimulus packages to suit the situation. The government hoped that they would help increase this year’s economic growth, the deputy PM said.

Meanwhile, President of Thai Airways International Sorajak Kasemsuvan said people had the right to demonstrate in a peaceful manner. He disclosed that his company did not prepare any backup plans or explanations to be announced in foreign countries since there was still no incident.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-08-05 footer_n.gif

I wonder if the lack of demonstrators shows a realization that TS is taking things too far.

Maybe a bit of TS fatigue is setting in?

Also possible that folks are frightened that there will be violence and stay away, and IMHO the core fanatical reds are very capable of

serious intimidation of other protestors and violence, and all with the silent backing of the pt.

I think there is something other going on. Only if the Democrats want they can bring a 100.000 on the street over night. They are strong in Bangkok and they can mobilize half the south. It is just too little to be true....Keep it small to make the government overconfident so they make a big mistake?

• Like 2

I suspect the "Global community" already knows.

The MRS tells me facebook and other sites that she looks at are full of "opinions"" of what is happening and these sites are wordwide.

I suspect that the 'Global Community' doesn't care.

I suspect the Global community is confounded as to why a fugitives sister is Prime Minister. Also somewhat amused.

• Like 1

I wonder if the lack of demonstrators shows a realization that TS is taking things too far.

Also possible that folks are frightened that there will be violence and stay away, and IMHO the core fanatical reds are very capable of

serious intimidation of other protestors and violence, and all with the silent backing of the pt.

I think there is something other going on. Only if the Democrats want they can bring a 100.000 on the street over night. They are strong in Bangkok and they can mobilize half the south. It is just too little to be true....Keep it small to make the government overconfident so they make a big mistake?

I've been thinking this too. So few people... maybe it's some kind of plan. I read somewhere that that they have been planning these protests in secret for months. If that is true then a few thousand protesters seems very little.

Not sure if this will cause anxiety or is an unwanted message but here goes anyway.

The protests are small because the PAD are not involved and up-country protestors are being 'dissuaded' from travelling to Bangkok.

In addition the army manoeuvres and their Majesties move to Hua Hin has scared many people (more than any Facebook message would) and IMO sends a message to PTP: 'don't cross the red line' with the amnesty. I don't think the red line needs mentioning.

Not sure if this will cause anxiety or is an unwanted message but here goes anyway.

The protests are small because the PAD are not involved and up-country protestors are being 'dissuaded' from travelling to Bangkok.

In addition the army manoeuvres and their Majesties move to Hua Hin has scared many people (more than any Facebook message would) and IMO sends a message to PTP: 'don't cross the red line' with the amnesty. I don't think the red line needs mentioning.

IMHO the Reds have not gotten the message!

555 That's so funny. I'd love to have seen that press release...

'Haters of Thaksin. We are planning a demonstration in early August to show our displeasure with the forthcoming talks on amnesty. Please do NOT come.'

The reactionaries on this forum often cite the fact that there were no demonstrations following the coup which ousted Thaksin as meaning that the vast majority of people backed the coup. Are you same people now going to interpret this feeble showing at Lumpini as meaning most people don't mind an amnesty for Thaksin? It was well publicized weeks in advance. What excuse will you come up with?

Keeping it small to make the government make a mistake? Only the most fanatical yellows could countenance this extraordinary idea.

As for lobbying the outside world, history shows us that that is usually the final gambit of desperate groups. The reds did it when things were turning sour circa Rajaprasong, and other political groups have done it in many other countries over the years, usually to little or no effect.

Edited by 15Peter20

'Haters of Thaksin. We are planning a demonstration in early August to show our displeasure with the forthcoming talks on amnesty. Please do NOT come.'

The reactionaries on this forum often cite the fact that there were no demonstrations following the coup which ousted Thaksin as meaning that the vast majority of people backed the coup. Are you same people now going to interpret this feeble showing at Lumpini as meaning most people don't mind an amnesty for Thaksin? It was well publicized weeks in advance. What excuse will you come up with?

Keeping it small to make the government make a mistake? Only the most fanatical yellows could countenance this extraordinary idea.

As for lobbying the outside world, history shows us that that is usually the final gambit of desperate groups. The reds did it when things were turning sour circa Rajaprasong, and other political groups have done it in many other countries over the years, usually to little or no effect.

Good points although I think h90 is also right that if they wanted to, the Democrats could mobilize several thousand from the South without much effort (just as they did during the 08 PAD protests). I do think they'll bus more people in for Wednesday, which is supposedly going to be the day of action - I assume they'll move on government house. Anyway, my friend had a look behind the stage yesterday, said the organizers seemed pretty content with the way things were going so far. As things stand though, it's a complete washout that no one would consider any sort of threat to the government. The reds get more protesters for events barely mentioned by the press, never mind something like this which has been built up for weeks.

Good points although I think h90 is also right that if they wanted to, the Democrats could mobilize several thousand from the South without much effort (just as they did during the 08 PAD protests). I do think they'll bus more people in for Wednesday, which is supposedly going to be the day of action - I assume they'll move on government house. Anyway, my friend had a look behind the stage yesterday, said the organizers seemed pretty content with the way things were going so far. As things stand though, it's a complete washout that no one would consider any sort of threat to the government. The reds get more protesters for events barely mentioned by the press, never mind something like this which has been built up for weeks.

I don't doubt that the Dems could bring more people to a demo than the 'People's Army', but evidently they don't have the appetite to organize one solely on an anti-Thaksin platform. Why not? Maybe it would make the Dems look like a one-issue party, not serious about the other concerns facing the country. Regardless, the reason for Sunday's gathering couldn't have been made clearer. It was all about Thaksin and people had the choice to show their agreement by turning up or not.

The low turnout could then only have been because either:

1) people are not that concerned at the moment about amnesty for Thaksin.

2) the characters involved in organizing it are well enough known to most people and for whatever reason, people dislike them enough to stay away from their rallies regardless of what they are specifically campaigning for.

Either way, the anti-Thaksin platform is looking less and less viable as a vote-winner for the Dems and I think they know it - apart from Abhisit who I imagine owes quite a lot to those who want to keep Thaksin out of Thai politics. To be fair, I think the anti-Thaksin platform was somewhat foisted on the Dems ever since they came to power with the help of the army. Another poisonous and lasting legacy of the coup.

Edited by 15Peter20

yes, Nakhon, Surat, Chumphon etc etc. If the Democrats tell come, the people come, if they tell we give you 200 Baht for what you loose than even more come.

Only the hardcore fans would be easily 20K. Don't know what the game is.

Maybe if too many come PTP drops the case and everyone goes home and we have the same again in 1 month??

I don't know.

I am getting very annoyed at reading the words 'violence' and 'riot' so often in the Thai press especially considering NOTHING OF THE SORT has bloody happened. Red Shirts occupied the main shopping district to screw up the country as much as possible ( as per Mr. T Spiteful's orders ) whereas the current demonstration is in a large public park out of the way. Shows the difference in mentality between the PT thugs and the somewhat more civilized opposition...If any violence does happen, no doubt it will be started by the reds. The government wants violence to discredit them. Don't sink to it guys, stay civil and show your wounds to the world but do not raise a fist in anger against them, show the world how good you are compared to the thugs...

• Like 1

I can´t speak out the name Thaksin in our house anymore, my wifel get the look as she want tu puke her intestine out.

yes, Nakhon, Surat, Chumphon etc etc. If the Democrats tell come, the people come, if they tell we give you 200 Baht for what you loose than even more come.

Only the hardcore fans would be easily 20K. Don't know what the game is.

Maybe if too many come PTP drops the case and everyone goes home and we have the same again in 1 month??

I don't know.

I think we should wait and see what happens on Wednesday. If the Democrats don't mobilize anyone on that day then I think we can safely write the anti-government movement off for the moment. Also, didn't Suthep say he'll personally take to the streets and get this govt out if 'even one protester gets hurt'? Not that I take that too seriously, but perhaps it does mean the Democrats would commit to joining the protests if the circumstances were right. I'm sure each MP and candidate could bring at least a couple of thousand.

I don't doubt that the Dems could bring more people to a demo than the 'People's Army', but evidently they don't have the appetite to organize one solely on an anti-Thaksin platform. Why not? Maybe it would make the Dems look like a one-issue party, not serious about the other concerns facing the country. Regardless, the reason for Sunday's gathering couldn't have been made clearer. It was all about Thaksin and people had the choice to show their agreement by turning up or not.

The low turnout could then only have been because either:

1) people are not that concerned at the moment about amnesty for Thaksin.

2) the characters involved in organizing it are well enough known to most people and for whatever reason, people dislike them enough to stay away from their rallies regardless of what they are specifically campaigning for.

Either way, the anti-Thaksin platform is looking less and less viable as a vote-winner for the Dems and I think they know it - apart from Abhisit who I imagine owes quite a lot to those who want to keep Thaksin out of Thai politics. To be fair, I think the anti-Thaksin platform was somewhat foisted on the Dems ever since they came to power with the help of the army. Another poisonous and lasting legacy of the coup.

As I said in my previous post, it might be too soon just yet to assume that this protest is over and that the Democrats won't mobilize any protesters for Wednesday. But yeah, I think people generally - even though they might still be anti-Thaksin if pushed on the subject - are probably just tired of protests and instability. A lot of the PAD protesters last time around were small businessmen who probably realized that continued chaos would only hurt them. Not surprising that many have lost their appetite for a scrap. Also I think it's pretty clear that this government is on a much more stable footing that the PPP government was in 08 and the same old tactics might not work this time.

Regards your latter paragraph, I'm inclined to agree. But then it's hard to tell, really, isn't it? Because I've spoken to people who only support the Democrats because they hate Thaksin and if they could vote for someone else, they would. A lot of Democrat supporters were disappointed by Abhisit's performance and the corruption of the last government, but since they consider Thaksin to be much worse, they're still going to vote Democrat when it comes down to it.

• Like 1

Tink too mutt

• Like 1

I see the Foreign Ministry had a meeting of foreign ambassadors in BKK to "explain" the political situation.

It was reported that that diplomats from the UN and 40 countries turned up for a 10 min meeting.

Meanwhile the Minister was worried about a letter the anti government group sent to embassies giving their side of the story.

He said they should not involve foreign countries ???????????

PT logic at its finest, we can involve foreign countries but you should not.