Honda cbr650 2014

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, it is time for a long term review then!

Now, bike is at 5500 km about to go to 6000 km service.

Bike runs great overall! It is sure a blast after all those years without an inline four!

Engine is fully broken and runs really smooth. But got some numb hands a couple of time riding at high speeds over two hours but not a bad one.

Transmission is also much more better. Lightest gear changes i have ever seen but it might disturb some riders like me as i am used to clicky honda transmissions still upshifts are clicky and only downshifts are a little vague IMO. for others, they say very easy and less tiring to change gears so it is positive for some and negative like others. Clutch-less up shifts even from the second gear is butter smooth!

There is a rattle from the instrument cluster and solution is easy bigwing mechs say, just a couple of foam plasters and all is good they added. But it takes time so left it to 6000 km service.

After removing the stock tail and installing an aftermarket tail tidy, i got lots of mud, dirt and many other road grim on my seat, back, neck and helmet so bought a mud guard for mansoon season and it works great! totally recommended. Anyway, other riders said that stock tail does not prevent mud that mush so a mudguard is a good investment for the bike and if you would like to keep going with your girlfriend happily!

Brakes are cool! Very good modulation and rear brake is really strong this time so less wear for font ones and less pad change. I was getting an high pitch sound like brake fade sound for around 3000 kms especially after brakes are hot but it disappear recently. Anyway bigwing mechs say that it is all about sandpapering the brake pads if the problem continues.

Ergonomics are great! You can stay upright if you get close to the tank and tuck nicely if you move your ass back a bit. Seat is very very comfy surprisingly. Never get any arse pain for 5500 kms but i have an iron bu anyway coming from years of riding. I changed the rearsets and for me, it became easier to ride the bike and more ground clearance and no bad vibrations.

Wind protection is also good for that tiny windscreen. No buffeting. There are some aftermarket screens now but i fear like it might lift the bike or make it worse.

I had a couple of gremlins in bikes electrical system as burned two fuses. But they all appear after changing the stock signals with led ones though. Now one of the signal at right front and right back works in mysterious ways! When i give the signal, right front performs normally but when i open the emergency/hazard lights, 3 of the 20 leds does not light up! But only three of them, no problems for normal signal operation! Same for right rear, it gives less light than left rear somehow at times but not all the time! Not sure what it is, any ideas welcome but i think it is about the wrong selection of relays.

Front light is powerful enough. Personally one does not need one if you dont have problems with your eyes. Still, i am looking for led headlights. Found one 20 watts led headlight for 700 and 900 thb but they say it tends to get hot so they did nto totally recommended it to me. But another auto electrician guy told me that no problems! Might try.

Handling and suspensions. What i like about this bike. handles great. I am happy not buying the Ohlins rear shock right away. i will wait for a nice aftermarket cartridge for front that get the rear ohlins. of course added some more preload to the rear for track days.

Turn ins are easy. I commute in Bangkok and was fearing like bike might feel a lot heavy but Honda did a good job by keeping the center of gravity down so bikes feels light. Especially it gets surprisingly light once the petrol light starts to blink bc it means bike is around 10 kgs lighter. No problems on commuting at congested Bangkok roads.

Also bike generates less heat than i expected. Nearly the same as cbr500r really. Of course, any big bike is disturbing on this matter at 50 degrees Celsius Bangkok asphalt!

Exhaust is a mute one and not giving awareness for others on the road which is a problem for me but apart from that it looks great and packed neatly down the bike. Thinking about getting Devil full system but it is mounted to the side of the bike which makes commuting harder for me. Might wait for a nice exhaust system that fits the same place where the stock pipe is.

Engine sounds great which compensates the mute exhaust especially when it is revving!

I was debating my self for cbr1000rr and cbr650f for a while before buying it but i did the right thing on buying the cbr650f as i commute, tour, go for track days and it is a better compromise that cbr1000rr.

Great low down torque, a very useful 2500 rpm wide power band, and it pulls even from 6th gear easily. above 8000 rpm, it turns to a real monster.

Personally, i dotn need a faster bike that this at roads but thinking to get a cbr1000rr for track days and maybe some rare spirited rides around Thailand. It is also great for my commute.

I am a happy rider having a blast all the time.

can recommend this bike as it holds a great value and real world usability and performance.

Great writing....now,since you've had a CBR500 as well,how can you compare those 2 bikes,what are the major differences...except for the power of course... smile.png

major difference is on power, weight, handling, comfort.

i like cb500rs bicycle like agility and turn ins. if you lean cbr650f a bit at parking lots a bit more than usual,you need strong arms to pull it back really. cbr500r was great at city, parking lots etc.

of course cbr500r is a hassle free and forgiving bike. but cbr650f is a fast bike and you nee to be more careful.

Fuel consumption for cbr500r was around 20 km/l for me and it is around 16 km/l for cbr650f. Of course seen worse than that at track and after some spirited rides. So, only 20 percent difference on consumption but you get nearly double the power on cbr650f.

cbr500r suspensions were a bit spongy. especially excessive dive at front when braking and good amounts of mid corner disturbance. Also cbr500r had a very light front end and getting a wobble was a daily affair especially two up. cbr650f is a lot better in terms of suspension and handling. never got a wobble with cbr650f - and hope it continues this way! Also top speed tsability is top notch, it does not move even a cm.

wind protection and aerodynamics is better at cbr650f so do lights.

i like the transmission of cbr500r more though.

cbr650f is also a more comfortable bike and more room for two up touring.

overall, cbr650f is a better bike

Thanks...hope to get to my next step up soon...the 650... thumbsup.gif

I really like Il2's review and from my much more limited experience agree 100%. I have a CBX500, and recently hired the CB650f for a day's test ride. I agree with everything he says about the 650 (especially love the low down torque! so unusual in a small 4). And I also agree with his comments about the differences between the 500 and the 650. The 650 is a step up from the 500 in braking & suspension - and of course that sweet little 4 cylinder.

That said, as much as I appreciate the joys of the 650, I will be keeping my 500 for while yet as it is such an easy going all-rounder. And if I do buy the 650 Honda is sure to release an 800 the next day....

I really like Il2's review and from my much more limited experience agree 100%. I have a CBX500, and recently hired the CB650f for a day's test ride. I agree with everything he says about the 650 (especially love the low down torque! so unusual in a small 4). And I also agree with his comments about the differences between the 500 and the 650. The 650 is a step up from the 500 in braking & suspension - and of course that sweet little 4 cylinder.

That said, as much as I appreciate the joys of the 650, I will be keeping my 500 for while yet as it is such an easy going all-rounder. And if I do buy the 650 Honda is sure to release an 800 the next day....

Exactly one of the things keeping me from "upgrading".

Was one of the last forum members to get a Ninja 250...and then Kawasaki released their 650s! Just a few months after I got my 500X...Honda released their 650s! At least I can console myself that the 500X is a pretty sweet baby touring machine; but you can slap my ass and call me Suzy if I am not jealous of those bigger bikes.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hurry up, go buy it now 555555

Amen ll2! Exactly the way I am thinking.

I just dropped the bike at Honda Phuket for the 1K km maintenance and didn't resist to change the handle bar, levers and mirrors.... It really does look good!

I have been also tempted to install the plastic protection going over the whell against water projection but.... I am not yet ready to make the comfort taking over the look!

2 more hours to get the bike back!

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

life is short guys. We do not have all the time in this world!

Just upgrade your bikes if it is financially viable!

Is true what you say but there is no upgrade available

for my purposes sad.png

I actually am quite happy with what I have but of course

would like refinements within this category. Whether by after-market

or better yet someone design one even better to begin within this category

Main thing IMHO is pick something that fits your needs/usage

wisely/initially & you will likely not need an upgrade.

Although I know in previous years selection was limited

But if more power is the only requirement & folks start too small then yes

they will always be chasing the "bleeding edge" latest greatest or golden ring smile.png

Edited by mania

life is short guys. We do not have all the time in this world!

Just upgrade your bikes if it is financially viable!

Is true what you say but there is no upgrade available

for my purposes sad.png

I actually am quite happy with what I have but of course

would like refinements within this category. Whether by after-market

or better yet someone design one even better to begin within this category

Main thing IMHO is pick something that fits your needs/usage

wisely/initially & you will likely not need an upgrade.

Although I know in previous years selection was limited

But if more power is the only requirement & folks start too small then yes

they will always be chasing the "bleeding edge" latest greatest or golden ring smile.png

i agree.

the aim must be keeping the same bike at least for 3 years.

But, i go with what makers offering locally here and upgrade my bikes accordingly. If they make a cbr1000rr in Thailand, i buy that too.

Edited by ll2

RSV Racing has some nice things for the 650 now

This fork brace looks good too if one is racing/stressing the stock legs

1500 baht

10372323_629614543812497_636713466848536

Other nice things

https://www.facebook.com/RSVRACING/media_set?set=a.629612327146052.1073741880.100002918710338&type=1

Mania funny as i was at rsv yesterday to let them fix the rear brake switch of the rearset and saw all the parts mentioned.

But non is in stock now. They ve just produced them.

Some only fit cb650f though.

Next will be braided steel brake lines!

Honda Big Wing in Pattaya on Sukhumvit Road..

Do you have bad stories on them?

The service from Honda is my big, important deciding factor in not getting the Kawa er6n.

So good to know they're consistent in taking care of the bike

What Big Wing would you be taking it to?

Was one of the last forum members to get a Ninja 250...and then Kawasaki released their 650s! Just a few months after I got my 500X...Honda released their 650s! At least I can console myself that the 500X is a pretty sweet baby touring machine; but you can slap my ass and call me Suzy if I am not jealous of those bigger bikes.

Suzy.. next year go get yourself a new bike (I might be up for buying your old one)

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Here are so NM e pics of the modifications done today.

Apart from a loose feeling from the clutch lever, the rest is great and change the face of the bike.

The position for driving is a bit more agressive... Just enough!

Next will most probably a black paint on all the plastics/tank and an exhaust... If some are coming up one day....

post-90264-14030020639682_thumb.jpg

post-90264-14030021755975_thumb.jpg

post-90264-14030021946187_thumb.jpg

Suzy.. next year go get yourself a new bike (I might be up for buying your old one)

First...there was no ass slap. Secondly if you want to do both those you will have to buy me dinner and cuddle afterwards.

If/when Honda releases a big X I will be all over it.

Apart from a loose feeling from the clutch lever, the rest is great and change the face of the bike.

Next will most probably a black paint on all the plastics/tank and an exhaust... If some are coming up one day....

Nice.

Check rsv racing products mania posted above. Good quality and prices.

Also instead of painting the plastics, you can go for a vinyl wrap. Less hassle and you can turn back anytime. Sure not the exhaust though.

The bottom part is the stock one... Looking at the pic, it looks quite high but in reallity it is alright.

I was also thinking of the wrap but I am just not sure how long it last after few wash and month driving... Any feedback?

Nice.

Check rsv racing products mania posted above. Good quality and prices.

Also instead of painting the plastics, you can go for a vinyl wrap. Less hassle and you can turn back anytime. Sure not the exhaust though.

...or paint it with PlastiDip,easy removal as well... smile.png

The bottom part is the stock one... Looking at the pic, it looks quite high but in reallity it is alright.

I was also thinking of the wrap but I am just not sure how long it last after few wash and month driving... Any feedback?

ic

On The wrap it is very good & very strong/durable

They do cars too these days & I have seen some very expensive Porches wrapped

So think it must be quite good.

Just get a good wrap like 3M etc.

Side benefit is you can have it removed someday if you tire of it.

PS: http://wickedwraps.net/about/wraps-explained/

http://www.lucentwraps.com/blog/bid/99819/Top-Four-Car-Wrap-Brands

Edited by mania

ic

On The wrap it is very good & very strong/durable

They do cars too these days & I have seen some very expensive Porches wrapped

So think it must be quite good.

Just get a good wrap like 3M etc.

Side benefit is you can have it removed someday if you tire of it.

PS: http://wickedwraps.net/about/wraps-explained/

http://www.lucentwraps.com/blog/bid/99819/Top-Four-Car-Wrap-Brands

Just remember to change the color in the greenbook.

Just remember to change the color in the greenbook.

That is true but 1st look at the green book.

Many bikes these days have 3 or more colors.

So they usually pick the gas tank color as the one to list

in the green book.

hey,

Does anyone have their bike yet? How is it? I am planning on getting one in Pattaya big wing, but they have told me 3 months waiting list!

So i am assuming there are a lot on the roads now, as when I went there 2 weekends ago there was about 30-40 and all were already sold apparently

I had my wife call there today and they said 1 month wait time for cb650f.

So after i was told one month to order, I sent my wife to order, they said one week to order and it came in 2 days later. I wont be able to pick up till I get to Thailand in another week. I picked a CBF 650f Tri color with black wheels. Here is a photshoped pic with black wheels.

post-158619-0-74829600-1403168204_thumb.

hey,

Does anyone have their bike yet? How is it? I am planning on getting one in Pattaya big wing, but they have told me 3 months waiting list!

So i am assuming there are a lot on the roads now, as when I went there 2 weekends ago there was about 30-40 and all were already sold apparently

So after i was told one month to order, I sent my wife to order, they said one week to order and it came in 2 days later. I wont be able to pick up till I get to Thailand in another week. I picked a CBF 650f Tri color with black wheels. Here is a photshoped pic with black wheels.
I never knew black wheels are an option for tri color!

Do they charge extra for this?

Edited by ll2

hey,

Not an option, I will be paying about 6000 baht additional for the 2nd set of black rims. I don't really like the gold rims on the tri color, they look good on black bikes only. I will post some pics on here when pick up bike around June 27 when I get back from Russia and no im not a Russian before someone says something.LOL

Not an option, I will be paying about 6000 baht additional for the 2nd set of black rims. I don't really like the gold rims on the tri color, they look good on black bikes only. I will post some pics on here when pick up bike around June 27 when I get back from Russia and no im not a Russian before someone says something.LOL

Do they keep the gold rims?

6000 thb for a set of rims is like very cheap!

And what is the problem about being Russian?

6000 thb for a set of rims is like very cheap!

Do they keep the gold rims?

And what is the problem about being Russian?

I keep the gold ones according to my wife who placed order for me. I am not Russian, am a Canadian working there, I read and here about alot of people in Pattaya not liking Russians. I wanted to keep gold rims for that kind of money in case I want to sell bike or start to like the gold. Another photo shop picture. Looks 1000x better on tri color.

post-158619-0-41717200-1403185907_thumb.