Refund Check From IRS - Bangkok Bangkok Bank Won't Cash

I would think that Bangkok Bank would at least send it in for collection. Once it was paid by the IRS, Bangkok Bank should deposit it in your account. You may have to wait 6 weeks, but at least you would get your money.

Yes, agreed, they are looking into it. I know that you can deposit a personal cheque. I just need to give the specifics

Whenever we answer a question we look to see if it is on the Website. The business does a fantastic job of not just posting it in Thai and English in a consistent manner, but also in using what we call "Bangkok Bank English" and "Bangkok Bank Thai" so that it reads to be consistent with our corporate image.

I can only take the credit for giving them the right technology to do this, we use SharePoint which can support hundreds of languages. They (the business) put a huge effort into creating, updating and reviewing this content). Now we don't just have Thai and English. We are also expanding off into Putonghua (Chinese) and Japanese. Soon even more.

But Thai and English will remain the dominant languages for some time.

I should have this back tomorrow. Thanks

Ian, you really shouldn't have said anything about Sharepoint. All the Linux people on this channel have something more to abuse you about.

Seriously i must congratulat you on your website and online system. It seems to cover most issues better than a couple of Australian Banks I deal with and they are not bad.

Thanks for the kind words, Harry. I appreciate it. My creative people do a good job also coming up with the concepts and the images.

One thing to note is that 100% of my staff are Thai. For the Website, iBanking, Biz, Mobile, everything. We may use International vendors, but the staff who do the work are 100% Thai. This is why I always disagree with those who criticize everything Thai. It is just silly and borders on racism.

As for Open Source v standard software, you end up paying anyway for Open Source if you need support. We use both, but there is very little cost difference if done on scale.

But as you said, there are plenty of loonies who will have some religious argument about this. I will just ignore them if that starts.

I haven't used BKK Bank to cash/deposit a foreign check, but I suggest trying a different or bigger branch. They surely do this.

I have several times, and at several different branches, deposited foreign checks (from the USA) at Kasikorn Bank branches. I've done it at the branch on Prannok in Thonburi and the 2nd floor branch at Future Park Rangsit.

It does take about a month to clear. And they charge like 300-500 baht to do it. But it works.

Ummm, what check clearing house would your Thai bank be working with?

I don't know that in the U.S. I could get my bank to accept/process a check written from say a German bank with no banking presence in the U.S.

I'm not sure why the OP would expect a Thai bank accept a foreign-issued check for deposit (other then U.S. centric elitism).

Would he expect if he walked into his U.S. bank with a check from Thailand that his U.S. bank would say, "sure, let us "<deleted> with your check for you, happy to serve you! Anything else?"

Um, any country with a modern banking system (which Thailand has), the banks are international.

So yes, Thai banks can accept foreign checks and US banks can accept foreign checks (even from Thailand!).

Of course, they do it slowly and charge maximum fees to make as much moola as they can on this transaction (as they do on every transaction)... but there is no barrier to doing it.

Checks are just money. If they accept a greenish piece of paper with a dead US president's picture on it... then a check is equally valid. Most checks nowadays are cleared electronically, so the difference between a check and wire transfer is blurred/blurring.

p.s. I have deposited U.S. checks at Thai Banks and got them cleared, though not at BKK Bank.