Refund Check From IRS - Bangkok Bangkok Bank Won't Cash

In 2009, the IRS sent me a tax refund paper check made out in US dollars.smile.png Bangkok Bank wouldn't take it or didn't know how to accept it.facepalm.gif

I put it in my paperwork dust bin as a lost cause.

In 2010, 2011, 2012, and now 2013, the IRS has been sending me a replacement tax refund paper check for same said tax year 2009. Bangkok Bank seems clueless.

I sense that I'm going to continue to annually receive a replacement check ad infinitem.. The amount is not extravagant, only $124 dollars, so its not a huge loss.

It's nice that they keep trying.

The IRS is funny that way.

The only time in my life (so far, knock on wood) that I've received an inquiry from the IRS was over a matter of 13 CENTS. Don't ask what the postage cost.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

You should have them deposited in a US bank. That means sending it directly to them somehow or sending them to someone you trust. Alternatively, do you have any young nieces, nephews, kids, grandkids? Could always endorse the check and have them deposit. Lots of 20-something relatives could probably use a hundred dollars.

In my experience, banks don't accept checks from other countries, although I have heard people talking about using special services at places like citibank or hsbc to do this. Otherwise, maybe a nice Lebanese (why almost always Lebanese?....dunno) man can pay you a percentage of the value of the check. This was regularly done when I was rambling around the world about a decade ago. Think they send the checks on where they can be cashed by someone else in their traditional money-lending system.

Shame to let the system eat it, even if it is just 100 dollars....hahahah.....and I am not even a republican!!!!

If you don't have a U.S. bank account to mail the check off to be deposited, maybe you can contract the IRS and have then pay you via direct deposit to your Bangkok Bank account...that is, using their NY branch routing number and local branch account number...just like you would be doing an ACH transfer to your Bangkok Bank account. But what may happen then is Bangkok Bank would indeed receive the direct deposit but see it's from a U.S. govt agency and then require you to open a Direct Deposit Account to receive the funds/have the funds posted to that account.

Even through the above Direct Deposit Account talks about you providing paperwork to Bangkok Bank for them to mail off to the govt agency...like you were currently receiving a military or social security monthly pension you can just tell them "not" to mail the paperwork to the U.S. govt agency as you will handle that by contacting them directly...just get the account opened with them. Just get the Direct Deposit account opened and then on future returns use the Direct Deposit method for your refund and have it directed deposited to your Bangkok Bank Direct Deposit Account. There are some drawbacks to such a Direct Deposit account such as no ATM/debit card, no ibanking outbound transfers, and you must show-up in person to withdraw funds from the account, but at least you would get the funds immediately each year and not be in the situation of how do I cash a U.S. govt check with a Thai bank. You would just have two Bangkok Bank accounts...the standard savings account that does come with ATM/debit card, ibanking, etc; and then the special Direct Deposit account for U.S. govt payments.

The IRS is funny that way.

The only time in my life (so far, knock on wood) that I've received an inquiry from the IRS was over a matter of 13 CENTS. Don't ask what the postage cost.

I have a refund check from 2002 for the total of $ 1.75

I framed it and put it on my wall.

I've deposited US government checks in my Bangkok Bank account without any problem. It must clear first before the funds are available and can take up to 45 days. I was told that the check had to be "mailed" back to the US for clearance. I don't remember what the charges were, but if the check is for a small amountit's probably not worth it, mine were quite large.

whistling.gif I have a Bangkok bank account.

You can simply deposit that check in your bank account for collection.

It will take some time to do , expect to wait for collection, but it will happen eventually.

Bangkok Bank will charge a fee for collection, payable up front, but you still will get something out of that refund check.

Just wait a couple of months and eventually it should show up in your Bangkok Bank account.

For U.S. government checks it is also possible (and slightly quicker) to go through the main Bangkok Bank on Silom Road.

Everything goes through Silom Road anyhow, before it is credited to your local branch account.

You can also cash U.S. government checks there,

However. you will need your passport as well as your bankbook to cash an official U.S. government check in Silom Road.

I've only done it once, about 2 years ago, but I believe that when I went to my Bangkok Bank local branch (in Bangkok) I was told to go to the main Silom Road Bangkok Bank headquarters to process my IRS refund check.

I had a $300 (and something) refund check, so it was at least worthwhile to deposit it, even with a two month wait and paying the fee for processing the check. I looked on it as "free money", and a small chance to at least get something back from the IRS.

rolleyes.gif

Why not mail it directly to Bangkok Bank, NY for deposit only directly into your account. Attach it to a deposit slip and make sure you sign it "for deposit only into acct XXXX". They can clear the check faster and it will go into you account. There maybe charges but it should work.

Why should a Thai bank accept an IRS refund check?

They do for deposit only if you have an account with them. But dumb to do so with taking over a month to clear and the high fees they charge.

There is a Bangkok bank in New York. Have the IRS eft to that bank and use your local acct number. Google "best way to transfer money from us to thailand". Ots in there somewhere.

This works. I helped a deceased American's widow file for her IRS refund. She had never been to the U.S. and had no U.S. bank account so we requested direct deposit in the Bangkok Bank. The IRS complied with that request and direct deposited her refund in her local Bangkok Bank account via the New York branch.

Ummm, what check clearing house would your Thai bank be working with?

I don't know that in the U.S. I could get my bank to accept/process a check written from say a German bank with no banking presence in the U.S.

I'm not sure why the OP would expect a Thai bank accept a foreign-issued check for deposit (other then U.S. centric elitism).

Would he expect if he walked into his U.S. bank with a check from Thailand that his U.S. bank would say, "sure, let us "<deleted> with your check for you, happy to serve you! Anything else?"

I've deposited US government checks in my Bangkok Bank account without any problem. It must clear first before the funds are available and can take up to 45 days. I was told that the check had to be "mailed" back to the US for clearance. I don't remember what the charges were, but if the check is for a small amountit's probably not worth it, mine were quite large.

I've deposited US checks in my Bangkok Bank account several times with no problems. $10.00 fee and usually 3 weeks clearance time. Get a bank manager in on this next time, perhaps the tellers just have no experience in it <in other words, clueless>. Used the International desk, the same one for CC advances.

Try email or calling them. Then maybe you will get the answer you want.

bk-logo.jpg

Bangkok Bank

New York Branch

Bangkok Bank PCL New York Branch
29 Broadway, 20th Floor, New York
NY 10006
Tel: (1-212) 422-8200
Fax: (1-212) 422-0728
Swift: BKKB US 33
Telex:(023) 175459 BKBK UT
E-mail: [email protected]
FED Routing No: 026008691
CHIPS ABA: 0869

Why not mail it directly to Bangkok Bank, NY for deposit only directly into your account. Attach it to a deposit slip and make sure you sign it "for deposit only into acct XXXX". They can clear the check faster and it will go into you account. There maybe charges but it should work.

I was under the impression the BKK Bank New York was not a retail location so they do no deposits and withdrawals like a normal bank branch so depositing the check to that location would not work.

Would be interesting to know if Mrjlh's suggestion might work. But I guess it assumes your Bangkok Bank branch would be mailing the check to the NY branch to do the clearing. I wonder if the NY branch just might reject the request as it's trying to bypass their normal process channel. But if the NY branch did process the check I expect they would extract the same fee as he local branch and then maybe even add on their ACH transfer fee they apply for funds passing through them like when using the NY branch routing number for ACH funds transfers. But hey I'm guessing.

This Bangkok Bank web site does identify their NY branch as a "wholesale" branch...although they mention deposits I expect that is for their wholesale/business customers and not the common person on the street. I've never seen any ThaiVisa were the member said he has a retail account at the NY branch...not to be confused with the many of us who use the NY branch routing number to flow funds through them on to our account in our local/in-Thailand branch....we don't have an account at the NY branch...we are just using their routing number as a flow through to our local branch.

And maybe the OP's problem is really just caused "his particular branch" since others have said they have cashed govt checks. No shortage of posts on how some branches, of any Thai bank not just Bangkok Bank, don't seem to be expat friendly or are expat friendly until you start wanting to do things that they don't see from their Thai customers like wanting to cash a foreign govt check.

As said Bangkok Bank does accept checks for processing at a fee and subject to 3-6 weeks delay. But I have also been told, decades ago, they are not supposed to accept US Government Checks for deposit here (although they did as a favor). Not sure if they had the direct deposit system in place that many years ago but could be confusion on that if they did.

In any case this is a one time deal so seems he should just send to someone in US to cash and ACH to his BBL account or have a friend here do so - surly he must be able to fine someone who can do.

Which implies "no" to foreign govt checks they way I read it.

Plus, since it don't mention govt checks it also doesn't mention personal checks a person would write out, but we know personal checks are accepted based on many posts.

Edited by Pib

That is the new electronic clearance system page I believe for small value checks - believe the normal manual 3 week system is still operating?

The indicate 'express' clearance and a limit of $500. I know normal channels I've cleared $20,000.00 personal checks with no problems, same 300 Baht/3 week clearance. There have also been reports of IRS/government checks being processed on the forum.

I will get some kind of a definitive response on this from our Product people. It is possible that these pages need to be updated to differentiate between what can be deposited (purchased by us) and get the short term clearing or what takes several weeks via snail mail.

The electronic clearing (presentment) system mentioned is in Thailand for domestic cheques sponsored by the BOT.

The other product I referred to is our own offering for international cheques.

More later, probably tomorrow.

Thanks. It seems most of the time folks are asking about the cashing of personal checks that they write out to themselves/cash and I don't remember seeing on a Bangkok Bank webpage where that is specifically addressed. One of the few things that isn't clearly defined. And to fine the associated cost to cash/deposit the check takes some digging/interpretation also. I sure would be nice to have a page which clearly talks personal checks and the associated fee(s), wait time to clear, etc.

Yes, agreed, they are looking into it. I know that you can deposit a personal cheque. I just need to give the specifics

Whenever we answer a question we look to see if it is on the Website. The business does a fantastic job of not just posting it in Thai and English in a consistent manner, but also in using what we call "Bangkok Bank English" and "Bangkok Bank Thai" so that it reads to be consistent with our corporate image.

I can only take the credit for giving them the right technology to do this, we use SharePoint which can support hundreds of languages. They (the business) put a huge effort into creating, updating and reviewing this content). Now we don't just have Thai and English. We are also expanding off into Putonghua (Chinese) and Japanese. Soon even more.

But Thai and English will remain the dominant languages for some time.

I should have this back tomorrow. Thanks

Edited by ianguygil

Yes, agreed, they are looking into it. I know that you can deposit a personal cheque. I just need to give the specifics

Whenever we answer a question we look to see if it is on the Website. The business does a fantastic job of not just posting it in Thai and English in a consistent manner, but also in using what we call "Bangkok Bank English" and "Bangkok Bank Thai" so that it reads to be consistent with our corporate image.

I can only take the credit for giving them the right technology to do this, we use SharePoint which can support hundreds of languages. They (the business) put a huge effort into creating, updating and reviewing this content). Now we don't just have Thai and English. We are also expanding off into Putonghua (Chinese) and Japanese. Soon even more.

But Thai and English will remain the dominant languages for some time.

I should have this back tomorrow. Thanks

Ian, you really shouldn't have said anything about Sharepoint. All the Linux people on this channel have something more to abuse you about.

Seriously i must congratulat you on your website and online system. It seems to cover most issues better than a couple of Australian Banks I deal with and they are not bad.

In my experience, banks don't accept checks from other countries, although I have heard people talking about using special services at places like citibank or hsbc to do this.

I've never had a problem paying a foreign check (US) into my UK bank account. As far as I know, all banks in the UK accept them. They are $USD checks into £GBP account. No problem at all. I put one in 2-3 weeks ago and got the cash 6 days later.