Hi 8 Or 8mm ?

pop3

I have a camera that uses Hi 8 film, I also have many old ordinery 8mm film's from a camera I had year's ago, I can't tell any diferance between them and neither can my friend's, also if I record on Hi 8 or old ordinery 8mm I can't see any diferance, only the price of Hi 8 is three time's more expencive than the ordinery 8mm, what's going on ? seem's like a con to buy dearer film !

I have a camera that uses Hi 8 film, I also have many old ordinery 8mm film's from a camera I had year's ago, I can't tell any diferance between them and neither can my friend's, also if I record on Hi 8 or old ordinery 8mm I can't see any diferance, only the price of Hi 8 is three time's more expencive than the ordinery 8mm, what's going on ? seem's like a con to buy dearer film !

From your post I'm assuming you mean video not film. There are 3 8mm video formats, there's video8, Hi8 and Digital8. The difference between video8 and Hi8 is a better video signal with the latter. Which to the untrained eye is practically nothing. Hi8 separates the video signal in 3 components, giving sharper edges (less colour bleeding). While video8 keeps the video signal as one composite signal, leading to blurrier edges (and some colour bleeding). Tape wise the main difference is coating on the tape, but IMO stick with the cheaper tapes if the quality difference to you is unnoticable.

Hope I didn't bore you to death with semi technical detail..

Thank's Thairish, I will stay with the cheeper tape's, it appears to be a paper excersize, looking at the spec on paper you would rush out to buy Hi 8, but in practice the sharper edges and improoved colour is virtualy un noticable !

............on paper you would rush out to buy Hi 8................

It should be pointed out that all the 8mm formats are analogue and have long

been surpassed by DV, Digital Video, which uses a smaller tape and records

in digital format.

Some cameras today will record direct onto DVD or onto a hard disk inside the camera.

............on paper you would rush out to buy Hi 8................

It should be pointed out that all the 8mm formats are analogue and have long

been surpassed by DV, Digital Video, which uses a smaller tape and records

in digital format.

Some cameras today will record direct onto DVD or onto a hard disk inside the camera.

Digital-8 is, as its name implies DIGITAL. Uses Video-8 or Hi-8 tapes, same video codec as DV, Mini-DV etc etc.

Handy as the camcorders will play Hi8 and Video-8 tapes straight out of the firewire, good way of getting older camcorder tapes into your PC.