scoopy, fino or click

nellyp

My wife wants too buy a scooter, and after reading some articles and looking about, I am considering a new Scoopy for her. I am after some views af the members here to help me though. My wife is only small so I was thinking that the scoopy or fino would be better because they are light (though I would prefer her to have the click which I have been told is heavier). The main use will be taking and picking up thye kids from their schools a couple of times a day, and to go shopping. So fuel and space for shopping are important. What are the opinions of the readers on here on:-

1/Fuel

2/Reliability

3/ Comfort

4/ Space

Cheers

PCX150. My wife is small and she has no trouble riding ours.

Just about to klick over 13k and no drama.

Gets high 30's to a litre, never fails to start, I find it comfortable to ride and good space under the seat.

Only down side is the back suspension is a bit weak for big faraNG and thai wife....but YSS XL units fixed that!

• Like 1

Is there a helmet-in Scoopy now? If so I'd go for that - I love the old Scoopy, it's a great little bike. Not a whole lot of room but it comes with a handy hook - something that has strangely been omitted from the PCX, for example. Better standing room for 1 kid, too.

PCX 150 is a very good bike but suffers from alien headlights and is nearly twice the price. And I'd take a Vespa over a PCX any day. Purely from an aesthetic standpoint.

Storage-wise the PCX has a huge under seat storage compartment - day to day that's less practical than the old hook though. Because you have to open the seat every time you want to carry something. Rented both a PCX and a Scoopy on this year's summer vacation. PCX is a way better ride of course, doesn't even compare.

The only reason to get a Fino would be aesthetics. I think it's finally fuel injected, but still.

Click - I rented that also, did not like it at all. I am not sure why but ride comfort was crap. Much preferred the Scoopy.

Edited by nikster

Iwould not want the wife on the pcx. It is too lumpy for her with a passenger. The price is too high for the type.of runabout it will be too. Garages are quoting 47k for the latest scoopy. But I am in the sticks soI am not sure if I can get cheaper? Any ideas?

The Click has a little bit more power than the other two. If you're going to be driving it that might come into consideration, but if it's only going to be your wife driving that's probably not your main concern. Out of the Scoopy or the Fino I'd probably go with the Scoopy. My girlfriend's aunt has one and it seems like a decent enough little scooter.

Another option if price is a concern would be the new Super Cub, it's going for only 43,000. I don't think they have much underseat storage though.

I have all these bikes (click and scoopy in thailand and fino in cambodia). The new click has more power than the scoopy and fino, and I think handling is bether on it. My wife prefer the scoopy, because it looks nicer (the fino and scoopy look is the look that girls like). A girl don't need more power than the 110 cc. We also have a honda airblade (she don't like it because to big).What about the mio gtx and nuovo?

Sorry for my poor english

My tg is small to.

But at 40kgs she handles a Click with 3 year old just fine.

I would get the Click 125i 'Helmet in'... plenty of storage plus lots of power to get out of tightspots and fits a standard bike parking spot when the PCX is squeezy.

Also , if the PCX has a flat battery , theres no kick start lever so you are stuck.

Hondas are the most reliable and I believe have 74% of the scooter market , so lots of parts and experienced mechanics.

Also , small diameter wheels are a concern if there are potholes in your area.

This is the big shortcoming on the Vespa ( at 100k baht ). You put a little wheel in a pot hole and risk it not coming out and the bike going over...

Edited by zaZa9

Scoopy!

PCX and Vespa's suggested much more expensive.

Scoopy good fuel economy, easy to ride good seat etc.

plus and it is a big plus, Honda! they are everywhere for sales and service.

I have all these bikes (click and scoopy in thailand and fino in cambodia). The new click has more power than the scoopy and fino, and I think handling is bether on it. My wife prefer the scoopy, because it looks nicer (the fino and scoopy look is the look that girls like). A girl don't need more power than the 110 cc. We also have a honda airblade (she don't like it because to big).What about the mio gtx and nuovo?

Sorry for my poor english

My short 48kg TGF finds my Nuovo a bit big for her, she has an old Suzuki Step which has proven to be reliable with daily 30+km use. My original requirements were a front disc brake and electric start for her. I might be tempted to look for a dual braking system as one issue she had once was causing the front wheel to lock up in wet conditions when turning.

Is there a helmet-in Scoopy now? If so I'd go for that - I love the old Scoopy, it's a great little bike. Not a whole lot of room but it comes with a handy hook - something that has strangely been omitted from the PCX, for example. Better standing room for 1 kid, too.

PCX 150 is a very good bike but suffers from alien headlights and is nearly twice the price. And I'd take a Vespa over a PCX any day. Purely from an aesthetic standpoint.

Storage-wise the PCX has a huge under seat storage compartment - day to day that's less practical than the old hook though. Because you have to open the seat every time you want to carry something. Rented both a PCX and a Scoopy on this year's summer vacation. PCX is a way better ride of course, doesn't even compare.

The only reason to get a Fino would be aesthetics. I think it's finally fuel injected, but still.

Click - I rented that also, did not like it at all. I am not sure why but ride comfort was crap. Much preferred the Scoopy.

+1

Edited by Nickymaster
  • Like 1

Look at a Filano for your wife. Quiet, easy and cute. Bought one for my gal and her teenage daughter, they are small but carry alot and very easy to maneuver. I ride a big bike, but love scootering around on the lil filano. Inexpensive as well. Had ours almost 2 years and not one problem. Up to you, in

Are you aiming to have your wife killed, or just simply maimed?

You must be kidding, why would you even contemplate letting anyone you love get on a Motor Cycle here, have you noted the accident statistics?

Even if she isn't killed, she could be crippled for the rest of her life as a result of just a small road accident. I urge you and your wife, before you put her on "the seat to destruction" to go and visit a local Public Hospital, they probably won't let you look at Road Accident victims in the Mortuary but you should be able to "visit" the general Authopedic wards and have a look at people in traction, pins holding arms, legs, hips together.

As a journalist, I visited many such places over my working life and recently I spent time in hospital here having surgery on a non-traffic related shoulder injury. They told me that the overwhelming percentage of my fellow patients, were there as a result of road carnage.

There is no way I would allow my wife or daughter on a motorbike anywhere, but in particular, here in Thailand. Do yourself a favour, take your wife and have a look at some of these victims. If you love her, you won't let her anywwhere near a motor bike.

• Like 1

I've ridden both Finos and Scoopys with around 2000-3000km on them. They have been then rattliest, clangiest scooters I've ever ridden. So much crap plastic that seems to be loosely held together with toothpicks. I can't imagine what they are like at 20k km.

I would never, ever, buy either.

• Like 1

Out of your listed choices the Scoopy from my own experience is the better scooter. I own a Scoopy alongside a SYM Fiddle 2 and have owned a Fino. The Scoopy is more economical and a liittle quicker than the Fino was and IMHO pips it in the quality department. The only problem for me with the Scoopy is that the fuel tank is a tad small. The SYM is cheaper but for me has proved to be better than either, although it's larger dimensions possibly wouldn't suit a petite Thai.

Edited by BirdsandBooze

I do not understand those of you who are talking about helmet included? A good helmet costs only 1000 up and is much better than the bad helmet included. Evaluate the motorcycle helmet you can throw away.

I think most mention the helmet-in as being the ability to store the helmet under the seat. Not a deal including a free helmet. :)

• Like 2

Let's make this easy and bring this down to two choices. Don't get a Fino. We've owned two and both were difficult to start first time in the day. The first one my GF owned before I met her, the second one we owned brand new and it was bad on day one. I don't even want to look at another one.

Don't know anything about a Scoopy, but it's a Honda so that's good. The click does have more power and I like that, but "up to you". The Click isn't as cute as the Scoopy and your wife might prefer cute over power.

If you can afford the PCX150 it has it all and the hook is an easy fix. You can get a hook as an accessory and it is recommended. We own two PCX150's and love them.

Edited by oneday

The Scoopy and the Click are the same bike mechanically, just different bodies. I believe the zoomer is also.

I would go with the Click 125 with the dual breaking. It's an excellent choice. The most popular bike with the highest resale value. Fino is going to depreciate faster.

My tg is small to.

But at 40kgs she handles a Click with 3 year old just fine.

I would get the Click 125i 'Helmet in'... plenty of storage plus lots of power to get out of tightspots and fits a standard bike parking spot when the PCX is squeezy.

Also , if the PCX has a flat battery , theres no kick start lever so you are stuck.

Hondas are the most reliable and I believe have 74% of the scooter market , so lots of parts and experienced mechanics.

Also , small diameter wheels are a concern if there are potholes in your area.

This is the big shortcoming on the Vespa ( at 100k baht ). You put a little wheel in a pot hole and risk it not coming out and the bike going over...

RE Potholes: It may be worth mentioning to those who haven't thought about it or received any proper motorbike training, but the best thing to do if your bike is approaching an unavoidable pothole is to accelerate, not brake - as counter-intuitive as that may be. It transfers the bike's weight to the rear wheel, which which take a good bang, but has a much better chance of coming out the other side, and unlike the front wheel getting stuck, won't throw you over the handlebars. Of course, the best thing to do is swerve around the pothole. And again, counter to natural human reactions, the best way to do that is to NOT look at the pothole, but to the route around it (which is easier said than done - it requires mental self-training every time you ride). Whatever you look at, the bike will naturally head towards it...

• Like 1

The Scoopy and the Click are the same bike mechanically, just different bodies. I believe the zoomer is also.

I would go with the Click 125 with the dual breaking. It's an excellent choice. The most popular bike with the highest resale value. Fino is going to depreciate faster.

You mean there is someone out there who actually likes linked brakes? They are a danger when lane-splitting, because when you apply the rear brake, they always apply a bit of front brake, which when you have the front wheel turned sharply at low speed, tends to make the bike flip over.

Honda has been forcing linked brakes on its customers for a few years now, and I have yet to see a well-known reviewer greet them with any enthusiasm. They'd be okay in the countryside - especially with riders who don't know how to brake properly.