"Tuning" of small motorcycles - by and for students?

Kf6vci

You know the narrow rims painted in day-glo colours?

The rough sound? Today, I did a test ride on such a messed up bike.

What was once a Honda Wave 100 was effed up in too many ways to list.

OEM parts were removed. Mirrors and parts of the plastics? Cut off!

The engine was emasculated in some hideous ways.

The strange thing is, this kind of tuning can be observed on countless teenagers' bikes!

It's a shame to see a nice Honda Scoopy-i with its fat tires turn into a rough sounding

monster with those silly rims.

Does anyone know what they do to the engines to rob them of so much power??

The "Wave" I rode had the hand brake disabled. It comes with a green Book but at the next technical inspection

(or is that only something for big bikes?) this bike will fail.

A relative purchased such a messed up bike. It barely starts. And now I wonder if there should be a law against

cruelty to bikes?!?

Just wondering if the students do the work themselves - or if there are businesses out there turning mass produced good engines into Franken-Bikes?

You know the narrow rims painted in day-glo colours? 

The rough sound? Today, I did a test ride on such a messed up bike.

What was once a Honda Wave 100 was effed up in too many ways to list.

OEM parts were removed. Mirrors and parts of the plastics? Cut off!

The engine was emasculated in some hideous ways. 

The strange thing is, this kind of tuning can be observed on countless teenagers' bikes!

It's a shame to see a nice Honda Scoopy-i with its fat tires turn into a rough sounding 

monster with those silly rims.

The "Wave" I rode had the hand brake disabled. It comes with a green Book but at the next technical inspection

(or is that only something for big bikes?) this bike will fail.

A relative purchased such a messed up bike. It barely starts. And now I wonder if there should be a law against 

cruelty to bikes?!?

Just wondering if the students do the work themselves - or if there are businesses out there turning mass produced good engines into Franken-Bikes?

Both... and now there are Franken-eco cars as well :D

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Usually cut out the exhaust so it goes at full noise at 15kph.

Most probably do everything themselves or with mates. They are masters at everything don't you know.

always keep the standard exhaust,the best thing to do is take it to the dealer and get them to put everything back to standard,whatever a thai adds to it is only making it worse and practically all after market parts are of lower quality than OEM stuff

I am allmost sickned sometimes over the distorted modifications theese bikes have beeb submitted to but then i remember how we used to chop up our bikes when i was a teenager. I sure do hope they do it themselfs because that is how it starts. I am now in the bussiness of heavily modifing vieachels home in sweden and what i know about that i learned myself and been tought by others like me. My guess is they think it looks good so who im i to point fingers. I have seen some very good built bikes that have been made by slightly older thais i guess and imo after market can be better then oem manny times. Some of them will learn that the exhaust system is vital part for the engine and should be matched for the flow.

With some glaring exceptions like skinny wheels/tires they probably do what we all did as kids? Different exhaust, a few stickers of a colour change, big bore kit, bigger carburettor (if not F.I.) Difference here would be for auto scooters, variator weights that are far too light. But then again they don't use them for touring or riding long distances to work.

• Like 1

boys will be boys, they just want to tinker with bikes and when they don't have the cash or the skills they bodge and make do. Not always with the results they hoped to get but at least they have something to do.

• Like 2

When I was in my 'learning' stage I lost count of how many pistons I holed/melted (Yam RD350B) while experimenting with carburetion and exhausts...got to the point where I could change a piston on the side of the road in about 40min smile.png

• Like 1

When I was in my 'learning' stage I lost count of how many pistons I holed/melted (Yam RD350B) while experimenting with carburetion and exhausts...got to the point where I could change a piston on the side of the road in about 40min smile.png

Atleast you fiddled with the carb, i just threw in a piston and wondered why i kept getting holes in them ! (circa age 14)

First time i did one i didnt know i had to drain the coolant first...lol

that was a mess.

Edited by KRS1

Atleast you fiddled with the carb, i just threw in a piston and wondered why i kept getting holes in them ! (circa age 14)

First time i did one i didnt know i had to drain the coolant first...lol

that was a mess.

LOL...'fiddling' with the carb was what caused the problems (well, some of them)...at least the air cooled ones were easier to work on thumbsup.gif