libya,, safe?

pigeonjake

hi guys,

whats the score out in libya, never been out there but the company im with at the moment have asked me if ide be interested in going there , so if any of you lads have been there,

ive done nigeria and that, and that was bad enough,,lol,

they also have a lot of work in south africa, but that could turn bad out there depending on the mandela situation,

take care all

jake

On Libya, the security arrangements should be question for your company, know a few lads who worked there before Gaddafi was booted out and they said it was ok, not sure these days what its like.

On South Africa, if you do go be careful with your tax set up as if long term, you can end up getting reamed at around 47% tax, provided you were not in country for more than 180 days a year, you used to be ok on the tax front (reduced tax rate) but more than 180 days and you run the risk of really taking a hit, as regards "Mandela issues" cant really seeing it turing out bad, but generally in SA you have got to be careful, not on the scale of Nigeria of course, it also depends were they have you working, if around Jo'berg, can be a bit like the wild west, but around Cape Town, its fine

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

SA trumps Libya IMHO. Libya used to be a safe call but their idea of a Spring Holiday leaves a bit to be desired. Similarly, Algeria was also a pretty safe bet until last January.

I am thinking that you, like myself, are no 'spring chicken' and now have family and others to consider over the fast bucks option in dodgier environments. For example, I was single in July 1990 and took up a job in Iraq... just before Saddam invaded Kuwait. Let's just say that kept me 'out of the loop' for 6 months of my life. A sobering experience.

I have been offered Philippines, Colombia, Norwegian North Sea and Southern Iraq for my next rodeo in September. No prizes to guess the one I have declined!

• Like 1

thanks for the reply mate,

yes im 53, soon be time to say sod it,

but at the moment i still enjoy the craic with the lads to be honest,

ill be moving onto kineal oil refinery next week, so ill can sit there and have a think about it, ill get back home end of november, then sit back and have a good talk to myself,,lol,

ive done a longer trip then normal this time, but it does kill two birds i get to see my kids and family over here in the uk as well as being paid more then when i was in bloody brazil,,lol

thanks again, and take care on your next adventure

jake

• 2 weeks later...