Black taxis scoff at Phuket Airport organized crime center

webfact

Traffic and lack of parking is bad enough in Phuket without the smokey baht busses adding to the problem. Have you ever tried to drive around Pattaya? Its a nightmare

Actually, Phuket Tuk tuks use petrol, while baht buses use relatively clean diesel. The cheaper, subsidized diesels here are made mostly from corn and natural gas.

Great so we burn corn to transport people around Pattaya cheaply while the neighbouring SE asian countries have hungry people. And please dont profess to be an expert in oil reserves and extraction as its not your field. There is still plenty left for a few hundred years until we perfect other means of using renewable energy.

Deisel engines emit more CO2 than regular fuel. Baht busses are neither efficient or clean.

Maybe they are not efficient and clean, but baht buses running along the coast road on Phuket would certainly save many lives.

Just use a taxi if its about safety. If its about baht then rent a scooter. Not every tourist that comes to Phuket is an alcoholic. So not everyone on scooters is drink driving. I would think that one full baht bus coming down the kathu mountain and losing control would be a catostrophic loss of life

I see our little debate has turned into a debate about pollution levels and my personal driving habits, so I will leave you guys to it. Have fun :-)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Traffic and lack of parking is bad enough in Phuket without the smokey baht busses adding to the problem. Have you ever tried to drive around Pattaya? Its a nightmare

Actually, Phuket Tuk tuks use petrol, while baht buses use relatively clean diesel. The cheaper, subsidized diesels here are made mostly from corn and natural gas.

Great so we burn corn to transport people around Pattaya cheaply while the neighbouring SE asian countries have hungry people. And please dont profess to be an expert in oil reserves and extraction as its not your field. There is still plenty left for a few hundred years until we perfect other means of using renewable energy.

Deisel engines emit more CO2 than regular fuel. Baht busses are neither efficient or clean.

Oh really?

"...there has been a growing drive to promote the use of diesel vehicles as environmentally less damaging, as they tend to have lower CO2 emissions."

http://www.ecotravel.org.uk/fuels_5.html

"Diesel cars are now green cars and a strong green transportation option."

http://www.motherearthnews.com/green-transportation/clean-diesel-green-cars-zmaz10fmzraw.aspx#ixzz2ba4U6683

Modern diesels are much cleaner than they used to be and of course are still more efficient that petrol. And the Pattaya songtheaw fleet is modernizing.

On top of that, I think you will find at least some of them are CNG/NGV.

Oh really?

"...there has been a growing drive to promote the use of diesel vehicles as environmentally less damaging, as they tend to have lower CO2 emissions."

http://www.motherearthnews.com/green-transportation/clean-diesel-green-cars-zmaz10fmzraw.aspx#ixzz2ba4U6683

Modern diesels are much cleaner than they used to be and of course are still more efficient that petrol. And the Pattaya songtheaw fleet is modernizing.

A lot of taxis in Phuket use LPG and a lot are hybrids

Oh really?

I personally have been in one LPG taxi in all my years here. But as you're the taxi aficionado who promotes them and uses them all the time, I'll take your word that there are some. I never ridden in a hybrid taxi still.

I personally have been in one LPG taxi in all my years here. But as you're the taxi aficionado who promotes them and uses them all the time, I'll take your word that there are some. I never ridden in a hybrid taxi still.

Werent' you using a meter taxi? They are all on LPG.

@ IrishIvan

Can you direct me to the taxi stand in Patong please? :) :) :) :)

I just ring one of the inlaws or one of their mates. Great service because they come directly to my house. I actually went 50/50 with them in the cabs. I get a discounted fare and also we split the profits. Its quite a good deal. I would recommend investing in the transport industry. The only thing is to make sure the car isnt signed over to them as anything can happen in LOS but business is booming even in low season. The TGF is looking to get a couple of green plated cabs too.

Edited by IrishIvan

@ IrishIvan

Can you direct me to the taxi stand in Patong please? smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

I just ring one of the inlaws or one of their mates. Great service because they come directly to my house. I actually went 50/50 with them in the cabs. I get a discounted fare and also we split the profits. Its quite a good deal. I would recommend investing in the transport industry. The only thing is to make sure the car isnt signed over to them as anything can happen in LOS but business is booming even in low season. The TGF is looking to get a couple of green plated cabs too.

"Just use a taxi if its about safety." - you still did not answer my question.

Where is the taxi stand in Patong? :) :)

@ IrishIvan

Can you direct me to the taxi stand in Patong please? Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Where is the taxi stand in Patong? :) :)

Are you completely mad? There are Taxis everywhere in Patong. Just try out the front of jung ceylon

@ IrishIvan

Can you direct me to the taxi stand in Patong please? smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

Where is the taxi stand in Patong? smile.pngsmile.png

Are you completely mad? There are Taxis everywhere in Patong. Just try out the front of jung ceylon

How can they be a "taxi" without a "meter?" "

Yes, this is what most tourists think. :) :)

Where is the taxi stand in Patong? smile.pngsmile.png

How can they be a "taxi" without a "meter?" "

Yes, this is what most tourists think. smile.pngsmile.png

No, that is not what tourists think, at least not according to the ones I speak to, which is on a daily basis. They see a sign with 'taxi' so presume it is a taxi, meter or not, green or black plates.