Saffron

knysna

Great forum... I was sent here by Ian at <removed>

I'm looking for some information on buying Saffron (up to a few kilograms) in either Bangkok or Trat (as we'll be staying on Koh Chang) and bringing it back into South Africa. If anyone has experience with reputable spice dealers / distributors in these areas, and(or) allowances per traveller on returning to South Africa I would appreciate some help.

Dominic.

Great forum... I was sent here by Ian at www.iamkohchang.com

I'm looking for some information on buying Saffron (up to a few kilograms) in either Bangkok or Trat (as we'll be staying on Koh Chang) and bringing it back into South Africa. If anyone has experience with reputable spice dealers / distributors in these areas, and(or) allowances per traveller on returning to South Africa I would appreciate some help.

Dominic.

Most of what is sold as 'saffron' in Thailand isn't real saffron. You can find real saffron in a few shops catering to Middle Easterners and Indians in the Bangkok's Bang Rak district, but it's imported from Spain and not any cheaper than what you can buy in most other countries. In Chiang Mai I know two sources for it, Bombay inside Kat Luang (the oldest market) and another shop that does Indian spices, but again it's not inexpensive and they certainly don't sell it by the kilo, rather in small amounts.

• 2 weeks later...
Buy it from your fellow country men in Durb's.

Hi there,

I agree with skippy,better to check in Durban for it >

Try Hoption & Sons on Umbilo Road ,or check in their Warehouse on Sydney Road(ask for Trevor)...

hope that helps,

rcm :o

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have seen Saffron or something that is very similar to Saffron for sale in Thailand and it is very cheap. My mom bought some in Thailand while she was here and she was amazed with the price, and she enjoys it. Maybe it is not genuine but she likes it. My fiance is about to come back to Thailand to visit us and my mom wants her to bring more Saffron (not genuine apparently) but my fiance doesn't know what it is. I gave her photos and she still does not know. It is obviously nothing she uses for cooking. Does anybody know the Thai word for it so I can tell her and she can track it down? Any help would be appreciated. She is in Chiang Mai if that helps.

Edited by blakegeee

Real saffron comes from a crocus flower grown only in Spain.

also places like Kashmir, Iran, Greece, Morocco, Azerbaijan, Italy, Oceania and the US

80% of saffron cultivated comes from Spain and Iran

Personally, I've always found the Iranian best-quite floral in its aroma and lacking any bitterness

www.saharsaffron.com is a great online source and ship internationally

FD

Real saffron comes from a crocus flower grown only in Spain. Thailand has plenty of spices but this one is an import and doesn't really figure in the cuisine here. Someone has probably got you misguided about what you need or where to look.

How wrong you are. Saffron is grown in many countries, one of which is Iran, which happens to have the best tasting and coloroued saffron.

What you will find here comes from safflower and has all the dyeing properties of saffron and zero of the flavor. If someone you know thinks they are suing it to their full culinary satisfaction, they are of either dulled tastebuds or have never had real saffron which is quite strong and irreplaceable as an ingredient in certain dishes. If you google 'fake saffron' or something like that you'll see plenty of info about such topic.

Real saffron comes from a crocus flower grown only in Spain.

there is no such thing like "real saffron". fact is that a variety of saffron is grown and used for various purposes not only since centuries but millenniae in a number of areas on this planet which provide the required climate. growth, use and exports of saffron in/from India and Pakistan is a multiple of that in Spain or Greece :o

Naam and others, I happily eat some humble pie. I know there's saffron grown in many countries other than Spain, but typed away without thinking there that first time. I stand corrected. It would be as silly as saying that tobacco only grows in Cuba. Of course many may say the best is from there, but certainly it isn't the only source.

As for other countries.... they use it quite deliciously indeed. Some curries wouldn't be the same without, I love Persian saffron rice with currants (how my Persian friend's Mom made it), and I recently have come to love a Gin called Old Raj.... so smooth and pleasant an alcohol that it's the first straight spirit I enjoy drinking just for flavor - It was so good that I searched the internet for info on it, and it turns out Old Raj has a pinch of saffron in it too adding to the usual herby bouquet.

• 10 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Hello

If you need best grade in a good price saffron from Iran can contact me

<<<<Phone number removed>>>>

Edited by metisdead
18) You will not post phone numbers, email addresses, business names, or web/Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses in posts or signatures.