Moobaan Management Companies

Just under three years ago I bought a house in a fairly pricey moobaan on the outskirts of Bangkok developed by one of Thailand's leading house builders (name beginning with 'S'). I'd been reassured that they typically managed the moobaan for several years after development so that the company keeps its good reputation. That wasn't to be.

The moment the last house was completed they brought in a third party property manager (name begins with 'Q'), who did a lacklustre job. When the property manager's one year contract came up for renewal they put in a much, much higher quote for continued management. Think 2-3 times higher. It's pretty obvious the initial price was a "loss leader", and they probably presumed that the moobaan committee would just roll over. That didn't happen.

The committee found a new management company (name beings with 'M'), which came in with a reasonable quote. At first things looked good. Trees were pruned. Plant beds were replanted. And then, suddenly, after about a month into the contract, the company sent a letter cancelling the contract.

I guess my questions are:

(1) Are this sort of tactic - low quote, then upping the cost/threatening to walk away - common in the Bangkok area?

(2) Are there cases of upmarket moobaans being left without a management company and so falling into disrepair so soon after being built?

WE refused to pay the management fee for 2 years. Now service improved we pay half of it.

Wife tells they can't do anything as we own the house and the garbage collection is from the city Bangkok.

WE refused to pay the management fee for 2 years. Now service improved we pay half of it.

Wife tells they can't do anything as we own the house and the garbage collection is from the city Bangkok.

But did the rest of them in your MooBaan or Condo pay while you didn't ?

I live in a condo and I have been told by the Management that they only manage to collect 50% of the common facilities fees during each quarter when payment is due. And we have a swimming pool and quite a big garden to maintain, not to mention usual stuff like security and cleaning.

I'm currently among the 50% who pay without fail, but it's beginning to look like I'm supporting the other 50% defaulters who continue to enjoy the common facilities.

But did the rest of them in your MooBaan or Condo pay while you didn't ?

I live in a condo and I have been told by the Management that they only manage to collect 50% of the common facilities fees during each quarter when payment is due. And we have a swimming pool and quite a big garden to maintain, not to mention usual stuff like security and cleaning.

I'm currently among the 50% who pay without fail, but it's beginning to look like I'm supporting the other 50% defaulters who continue to enjoy the common facilities.

Well this MooBaan has nothing, beside a small park with nice trees. They cut the trees and make a concrete floor (so it is on large concrete place without floors). They installed large speaks for propaganda. The did nothing when the floods were.

They have one old man staff who get 4000 Baht per month.

The built one small restaurant like place which only a small group uses...now no one uses it anymore.

So no service at all. I suspect some corruption.

Now they have 1 security guard, so we pay half of the fee.

They will be the ones laughing when your unpaid amounts are accruing at 20% per annum.

more seriously have you reviewed the management companies contract/scope of work etc and what is and is not their responsibility? before refusing to pay the management fees. Have they been hamstrung by a Committee's desire to cut costs? Are they proposing things to be fixed and the Committee are refusing? Are you sure its the management fault for the issues you have and are they being provided with the correct resources to do the job properly.

I have seen so many examples of owners like you who have absolutely no idea about the management, processes, what it entails etc and never bothers to investigate just stops paying the fee. Actually many Committee's don't mind people non paying as long as they have the money to run the property, as its nice to get the 12-20% interest when the banks only pay 3-4%.

Well, they actually can do somethng about it. They may just wait until you want to sell and slap a lien on your unit.

• 7 months later...

Interestingly they were recommended by a friend who has a number of units in VT2! I believe they also manage (or did) Chataeu Dale.

There is no management company involved in Chateau Dale. In my opinion if you have an active and suitability qualified committee, a management company just increases costs and makes it more difficult for the Committee to effectively control the way the condo in run.