First time question.

Ginn

Greetings Thai Visa Forum Community,

I have been reading through your forums here since I developed an interest in teaching in Thailand! My question has probably been answered with the numerous posts about requirements for teaching and the certificates needed. However, some things are case by case, and I would like some advice if at all possible.

I am currently living in the USA with an Associates Degree that satisfies all of the English requirements of United States colleges. I am also four classes from graduating with a Mathematics major and Computer Science minor. I am finishing a degree branch of mathematics called pure mathematics. I am the only student at my college venturing into the new classes which means I have to wait a semester to get classes.

This led me to wonder if it was possible to come to Thailand and teach for a semester. I would then return to the States and finish my BS and return to Thailand to teach again in 6 months time. I know that you need a BS to receive the two year teaching certificates. I was wondering if there are any rural schools that would benefit from a native speaking Caucasian from the center of the USA, and that would be able to incorporate me into a classroom by any methods available for a 4-5 month stay in Thailand. A sort of sample run before I graduate and come back to get an official two or five year certificate. Again my intent in this is to help a rural area that may not have the opportunity to utilize native speaking English teachers. And also need them from September - December.

Thanks for your advice and I look forward to hearing the communities suggestions.

It might be hard to find a job and then come here, at least one that meets your time frame. If you came you would likely find work, but I don't think the school would be happy with your plan to leave at an inconvenient time.

A lot of schools, by the way, teach mathematics in English. At least a lot of bilingual schools do.

It might be hard to find a job and then come here, at least one that meets your time frame. If you came you would likely find work, but I don't think the school would be happy with your plan to leave at an inconvenient time.

A lot of schools, by the way, teach mathematics in English. At least a lot of bilingual schools do.

Very interesting Scott! Thank you for the reply.

I was indeed wondering if there was a way to teach mathematics to bilingual students as having not the slightest idea of how to say hello in Thai! This is of course my passion and would be able to do... perhaps a greater scope of teaching with mathematics.

I am very passionate about coming to Thailand so if there is some way to help a broke college kid come help in a quick manner.. I would love the input. Even if it is a conversation to say hey.. get here and I have a place you can help.

Regards,

Nathan

It might be helpful to post the dates you will be available, as in what month you could be in Thailand and the month that you would have to leave.

I know some schools have vacancies that need filling on for a short-time only. For example, I know a school who recently had a language teacher leave for medical treatment in another country. He will be returning in a few months. His position has been filled, but there may be others.

Be aware that it might be difficult to get the proper papers to work legally in Thailand.

You would spend more money flying over here and back then you would actually earn, so if you are just looking for an extended holiday, then ok. However it really wouldn't be worth it from a financial perspective. The other problem is that if you are living mid semester, you are hurting the school and the students. 4-5 months isn't a commitment at all in terms of teaching. However if you come mid semester and finish the term with the school, then it isn't so bad.

Personally, I would wait until you get your degree. Go to your local school system and be a substitute teacher that will help you get your feet wet. You could also spend that time prepping to take the Praxis 1 and 2 tests. If teaching is really a goal and you want to do it for the long term, then getting licensed in your state prior to coming over would help you the best.

Getting your full degree, police check, teacher's license in mathematics would open more doors and give you the opportunities that actually pay a reasonable wage.

As is you are going to be competing for jobs that pay 20k-low 30's which wouldn't be enough to pay back any loans you had, let alone live off.

As you may know already, knowing math and computer science and being able to create a curriculum teaching it aren't the same thing. So unless you actually took courses on how to teach these subjects to young learners especially with language barriers, you might be in over your head.

• Like 1

So from what you've said, you're looking to come to Thailand from September - December, and teach English (Or Maths in English), and you would specifically prefer the countryside. You're also primarily concerned with the experience, rather than a fulltime job.

I think that's awesome, that's quite similar to what I initially did after I finished at university (And then I decided that I liked teaching, so have continued to live and teach in Thailand.

I teach at a quite large school (2600+ students) in the Isaan countryside (RoiEt Province), with students coming from all over our district, we have 4x western teachers (including myself). My school also sees itself as kinda like the big brother for a lot of the smaller schools in our district, and so the director sometimes gets us to assist them with extra classes or camps etc (Since most don't have enough students to justify the expense of fulltime "farang" teachers, and even if they could, are often too far into the countryside to attract one).

I can likely assist you with getting some teaching experience at a few different schools, e.g. maybe teach a couple of days a week at my school, so you can see what the bigger Thai schools are like, and you could likely teach maths there since we have an English program. And also maybe a couple of days per week at some medium/small or tiny countryside schools, so that you can see the difference. And maybe teach at one of the local temple schools as well, or teach some IT as well at the local ICT centre, we assisted some Koreans with teaching there last year (I assume that's another field which you might be interested in teaching, just really basic stuff though).

Don't know how much money they'd be able to sort out for you, as it'd depend on how much you wanted to teach + which schools (Larger schools might be able to pay you, tiny ones likely wouldn't). But I'm reasonably sure they could arrange free accommodation and either a small salary and/or free food/transportation. If you were interested in seeing a bit of a different side of life, I could likely arrange for you to stay in one of the temples for a little while, or perhaps a home stay.

Most schools have around 3 weeks off in October, so maybe you could initially come over in September, check things out for a week or so to see what you think, and then do some travel during October (Then back for 2 months teaching in Nov/Dec).

Visas wise, a volunteer visa + work permit would likely be possible, as this doesn't require a degree (Although it's the countryside, so it's relatively relaxed anyway, particularly if you're doing something which is recognised as being good for the community).

Hopefully I'm not getting too far ahead of myself with all of the above. But in general, it'd be relatively easy to setup, and I know that everyone in the community would be soo willing to help and give you a really great introduction to Thailand and Isaan.

You would spend more money flying over here and back then you would actually earn, so if you are just looking for an extended holiday, then ok. However it really wouldn't be worth it from a financial perspective. The other problem is that if you are living mid semester, you are hurting the school and the students. 4-5 months isn't a commitment at all in terms of teaching. However if you come mid semester and finish the term with the school, then it isn't so bad.

Personally, I would wait until you get your degree. Go to your local school system and be a substitute teacher that will help you get your feet wet. You could also spend that time prepping to take the Praxis 1 and 2 tests. If teaching is really a goal and you want to do it for the long term, then getting licensed in your state prior to coming over would help you the best.

Getting your full degree, police check, teacher's license in mathematics would open more doors and give you the opportunities that actually pay a reasonable wage.

As is you are going to be competing for jobs that pay 20k-low 30's which wouldn't be enough to pay back any loans you had, let alone live off.

As you may know already, knowing math and computer science and being able to create a curriculum teaching it aren't the same thing. So unless you actually took courses on how to teach these subjects to young learners especially with language barriers, you might be in over your head.

Zeichin,

Thank you for this input! This is very practical advise and right on. I would have to agree that it makes more sense to spend this semester off getting teaching training at my current university... I actually go to a school that specializes in training teachers. I study math and computers there, but they have plenty of resources and knowledge to get my feet wet in teaching... I will consider your advice on being patient. Doing a disservice to students by leaving after a short stay is not my intent.

So from what you've said, you're looking to come to Thailand from September - December, and teach English (Or Maths in English), and you would specifically prefer the countryside. You're also primarily concerned with the experience, rather than a fulltime job.

I think that's awesome, that's quite similar to what I initially did after I finished at university (And then I decided that I liked teaching, so have continued to live and teach in Thailand.

I teach at a quite large school (2600+ students) in the Isaan countryside (RoiEt Province), with students coming from all over our district, we have 4x western teachers (including myself). My school also sees itself as kinda like the big brother for a lot of the smaller schools in our district, and so the director sometimes gets us to assist them with extra classes or camps etc (Since most don't have enough students to justify the expense of fulltime "farang" teachers, and even if they could, are often too far into the countryside to attract one).

I can likely assist you with getting some teaching experience at a few different schools, e.g. maybe teach a couple of days a week at my school, so you can see what the bigger Thai schools are like, and you could likely teach maths there since we have an English program. And also maybe a couple of days per week at some medium/small or tiny countryside schools, so that you can see the difference. And maybe teach at one of the local temple schools as well, or teach some IT as well at the local ICT centre, we assisted some Koreans with teaching there last year (I assume that's another field which you might be interested in teaching, just really basic stuff though).

Don't know how much money they'd be able to sort out for you, as it'd depend on how much you wanted to teach + which schools (Larger schools might be able to pay you, tiny ones likely wouldn't). But I'm reasonably sure they could arrange free accommodation and either a small salary and/or free food/transportation. If you were interested in seeing a bit of a different side of life, I could likely arrange for you to stay in one of the temples for a little while, or perhaps a home stay.

Most schools have around 3 weeks off in October, so maybe you could initially come over in September, check things out for a week or so to see what you think, and then do some travel during October (Then back for 2 months teaching in Nov/Dec).

Visas wise, a volunteer visa + work permit would likely be possible, as this doesn't require a degree (Although it's the countryside, so it's relatively relaxed anyway, particularly if you're doing something which is recognised as being good for the community).

Hopefully I'm not getting too far ahead of myself with all of the above. But in general, it'd be relatively easy to setup, and I know that everyone in the community would be soo willing to help and give you a really great introduction to Thailand and Isaan.

SlyAnimal,

Thank you so much for taking the time to consider my request in such detail!

You are correct. This is absolutely about getting the chance to experience a culture half way around the world. I am not trying to pay for just a vacation to Thailand.. as my short stay implies. I really only want to go to a place that I can help. I will be honest in saying that I have other motives for being in Thailand that have to do with Computer Science and Math. If it all possible, I could help set up communication networks, or just be an IT guy while teaching at anywhere you saw fit. Also I would like to be put into one of the school that pays less and doesn't receive "farlang" teachers as often. I have no concerns with making a profit from teaching so if I could find a school that simply met my living needs of food and shelter, I would be content.

I would simply love staying in a temple and "see a different side of the country".

All of your above suggestions sound very interesting to me. Is there perhaps a way we could set up Skype conversations or other contact to continue communications? If you are willing to help me I am willing to do everything I can to help back of course. I am very adventurous, and I am almost willing to just get on a plane and see what happens when I show up. However, I am also a math major, and I have parents that may be concerned with me just showing up to Thailand with only rumors that I could find work. I know it is not rumors and Thailand could use my help, but I have to convince my parents I'll be safe.. for some reason ;)

I look forward to continuing communications to see if we can possibly do some good here in the next month. If not I will be coming for Thailand as a full fledged Math graduate next year!

Regards,

Nathan

I taught Math in English for 6 years. Basic Math is a universal language. The biggest problem that the students had was understanding and solving word problems and some subjects that are taught in math classes such as "reasoning" (which, IMHO they wouldn't understand in any language). It's amazing how much I increased my knowledge of Thai by teaching math since I was exposed to many words that would not normally be used in daily conversation.

I taught Math in English for 6 years. Basic Math is a universal language. The biggest problem that the students had was understanding and solving word problems and some subjects that are taught in math classes such as "reasoning" (which, IMHO they wouldn't understand in any language). It's amazing how much I increased my knowledge of Thai by teaching math since I was exposed to many words that would not normally be used in daily conversation.

Good information... I would also like to be able to soak up the Thai language as much as possible... again I am a complete noob, but I learn quickly.

I have been considering how I would teach Math to those who spoke little to null English. As you say, word problems are going to be, well a problem. I can understand how 2x - 7y = 0 is universal to all languages, and the steps to solving that equation (i just pooped it out of my head so there may be no solution, or infinitely many, well I haven't supplied enough info to solve that in linear algebra.. maybe some Diff EQ?...i digress). I am just not sure how I would describe what I am doing to connect the dots of logic and reason like many of my Math teachers were brilliant at doing in my past. I am sure a lot of this depends on what age group or understanding level of Math and English my students are at.

For my first stay, it may be good to just get my feet wet and start learning some Thai through teaching English or English speaking Math students. This way I can evolve and teach higher levels of Math as I learn e.g. how much Thai is in the language of their math. Will they know all of the Math terms in English like associative property or factor or denominator... I have a lot to learn =D

I can understand how 2x - 7y = 0 is universal to all languages, and the steps to solving that equation (i just pooped it out of my head so there may be no solution, or infinitely many, well I haven't supplied enough info to solve that in linear algebra.. maybe some Diff EQ?...i digress).

Most Thai math students that I have taught would be able to solve the equation 2x-7y=0 that you provided. Yes there is an infinite number of solutions to the problem given one variable but can not think of a "no solution". They would be simply taught to rewrite the equation in the standard for , y=mx+c, which would make the written equation y = 2/7x + 0, where the slope is 2/7 and the y intercept is 0. Plug in any value of x or y and you can resolve the equation and come up with the other, or plot the equation on a cartesian plane using the slope and the y intercept. If this is hard for you then you really shouldn't be trying to teach it to others

But math is the same in any language, there are some students who really don't care and there are some that really want to learn math and science. It's those students that want to learn that will really end up teaching you. Good luck!

Edited by wayned

I can understand how 2x - 7y = 0 is universal to all languages, and the steps to solving that equation (i just pooped it out of my head so there may be no solution, or infinitely many, well I haven't supplied enough info to solve that in linear algebra.. maybe some Diff EQ?...i digress).

Most Thai math students that I have taught would be able to solve the equation 2x-7y=0 that you provided. Yes there is an infinite number of solutions to the problem given one variable but can not think of a "no solution". They would be simply taught to rewrite the equation in the standard for , y=mx+c, which would make the written equation y = 2/7x + 0, where the slope is 2/7 and the y intercept is 0. Plug in any value of x or y and you can resolve the equation and come up with the other, or plot the equation on a cartesian plane using the slope and the y intercept. If this is hard for you then you really shouldn't be trying to teach it to others

But math is the same in any language, there are some students who really don't care and there are some that really want to learn math and science. It's those students that want to learn that will really end up teaching you. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply!

You are correct that there should always be solutions to linearly independent variables spanning R^2 with constant coefficients. I did not put in the time to think about what I was writing I apologize. However, the point is made that complex math can be conveyed with the language barrier. Great!

Nate

I should clarify. I did think about about what I was writing.. I just did not solve for the random equation I generated and only offered all of the possibilities... even if it was obvious that an equation of that form wouldn't satisfy those possibilities. In Cartesian coordinate systems.. there are others...

Edited by Ginn

"But math is the same in any language"

Oh, my goodness, I was getting afraid I was going to have to delete the last several posts because English is the only language allowed on the forum!

You guys have just got straight over my head, by the way.facepalm.gif

"But math is the same in any language"

Oh, my goodness, I was getting afraid I was going to have to delete the last several posts because English is the only language allowed on the forum!

You guys have just got straight over my head, by the way.facepalm.gif

Hahah <3, I would love to teach you!!!

SlyAnimal,

Thank you so much for taking the time to consider my request in such detail!

You are correct. This is absolutely about getting the chance to experience a culture half way around the world. I am not trying to pay for just a vacation to Thailand.. as my short stay implies. I really only want to go to a place that I can help. I will be honest in saying that I have other motives for being in Thailand that have to do with Computer Science and Math. If it all possible, I could help set up communication networks, or just be an IT guy while teaching at anywhere you saw fit. Also I would like to be put into one of the school that pays less and doesn't receive "farlang" teachers as often. I have no concerns with making a profit from teaching so if I could find a school that simply met my living needs of food and shelter, I would be content.

I would simply love staying in a temple and "see a different side of the country".

All of your above suggestions sound very interesting to me. Is there perhaps a way we could set up Skype conversations or other contact to continue communications? If you are willing to help me I am willing to do everything I can to help back of course. I am very adventurous, and I am almost willing to just get on a plane and see what happens when I show up. However, I am also a math major, and I have parents that may be concerned with me just showing up to Thailand with only rumors that I could find work. I know it is not rumors and Thailand could use my help, but I have to convince my parents I'll be safe.. for some reason wink.png

I look forward to continuing communications to see if we can possibly do some good here in the next month. If not I will be coming for Thailand as a full fledged Math graduate next year!

Regards,

Nathan

I'll send you a pm with my contact details and more info.

Also as a general comment, if you have any friends who are thinking about doing something similar, then it's just as easy to organise something similar for them as well.

Hopefully you wouldn't teach your students in the same manner in which you write your posts. Not only would you bore them to tears, you would not be teaching but just lecturing. I really suggest that you learn how to teach before coming over to teach especially subjects. One of the issues I have had with some of the professional Philipino teachers who teach physics, chemistry etc is that they all have advanced degrees and tend to know the subject but none of them know how to create a lesson that integrates a student centered approach or something that allows for individual discovery. Lecturing at students similar to what we get in Universities is a big fail.

I look forward to hearing from you SlyAnimal!

I do know other adventurous souls like myself.. unfortunately most do not have the same skill sets I have. It is truly unfortunate that most of my colleagues are applying for jobs in the US. I have friends planting trees in South America and those skills are just as needed as technical skills during this time. However, I feel I can do a lot of good by myself and intend to do so.. path to hell is paved with good intentions.. but not good science.

Regards!

Hopefully you wouldn't teach your students in the same manner in which you write your posts. Not only would you bore them to tears, you would not be teaching but just lecturing. I really suggest that you learn how to teach before coming over to teach especially subjects. One of the issues I have had with some of the professional Philipino teachers who teach physics, chemistry etc is that they all have advanced degrees and tend to know the subject but none of them know how to create a lesson that integrates a student centered approach or something that allows for individual discovery. Lecturing at students similar to what we get in Universities is a big fail.

Thank you for bringing this concern to light zeichen!

This is also very important to me. I apologize if the way I speak implies I do not care about the learning or students. If I am to be honest with a group of individuals I have never met I must say that I completely understand you. I have almost been thrown out of american institutions for not being capable of "understanding" science. This only fueled my flames to prove them wrong and here I am. There is more to learning than being a library of information.. unfortunately you must portray you understand this library and my posts may come off as such. I will not treat my students like a computer that must retain random access memory. I study artificial intelligence. This is the study of mathematics that deals with how you learn. This is invaluable in the classroom. I am not a genius.. I am in fact very stupid.. but i was passionate enough to learn. I realize not everyone has this passion. i will not exclude those who only want to pass the course but will not reward them for only studying the library of information.

Learning is of course all we care about right?

P.S.

I am very new to teaching and creating lesson plans.. if you would like to help me create ways to convey our information better I would be greatly appreciative.

Edited by Ginn