Electric Showers ? Watts ?

treysd3

I am wondering what the difference is between a 6000 wattt Electric Shower unit and a 3500 watt unit??

is the 6000 watt better and will the water get hotter because its 6000 watt??

I dont know anything about electricity so sorry if this is a stupid question. post-110181-0-78340100-1376238980_thumb.post-110181-0-17677700-1376238956_thumb.

When I had a 3500W heater, I used standard 2.5mm sq. cable, when I installed the 6000W heater I changed the cable to 4mm sq. The 6000W heater not only heats the water faster but it's never been turned up past halfway as the water is too hot. Sharp model WH-751.

I bought a very cheap one as we intend to do the bathroom new next year. I t does take a bit lon to heat up. Maybe you should be more worried about getting it properly earthed (and not like the Thai do it, I mean properly) or at least connected to a circuit breaker.

• Like 1

When I had a 3500W heater, I used standard 2.5mm sq. cable, when I installed the 6000W heater I changed the cable to 4mm sq. The 6000W heater not only heats the water faster but it's never been turned up past halfway as the water is too hot. Sharp model WH-751.

Agreed for distances up to 30 metres from source, longer than that you will need 6mm minimum.

More importantly must be earthed, and protected by an RCBO.

Also make sure that you have a good earth, you need to do this by meaurement. (good luck with that) smile.png

Its your life

Edited by Forkinhades
  • Like 1

If you are in Bangkok or below (hotter) expect 3.5k will be fine on all the the coldest days (you can slow the water down a bit if too cool on those days). For northern jungles (country and really cold) you may need the 6k to be comfortable, especially if you want good water flow from a strong pump. They both work the same and in about the same period of time in actual use but the larger unit can provide heating to a faster/larger flow of water. The cost being much larger wire requirement and perhaps waste of electric if you get too spoiled on the sauna temperatures.

No Desmond, it's not about how long it takes to get the water warm. On colder days in my area a 3500 watt unit can't get the water warm enough for a shower and it's too chilly. When you have a heater that is too small what you can do as a work around is reduce the water flow. For a shower I wouldn't get anything less than 4500 watt, 6000 sounds really nice. Maybe for a low flow faucet a 3500 would do. Will depend on how cool your area gets. Better to err on too large than too small as you can just dial a big one up to as much heat as needed rather than be capped.

Will point out we use Grundfos pump at 60 PSI and have full flow showers and as said except for a handful of days each year do not have to reduce water flow at all using 3.5kw heaters. Agree upcountry with colder water may need more but for majority of people 3.5 should be fine.

Thank you everyone for the replies to my questions. We decided to go with the 6000watt Panasonic Shower.

I would rather not have to worry about my shower water ever being cold.. even in the middle of the hot season I still like a Hot shower.. Call me crazy its just what I like.

And I have passed on to the Ms... that we will need to change the wiring to 4mm to be safe.

Thank you all again for your input.