end this ripp off.[thai gov]

meatboy

as the thai gov.are trying to attract more tourists to its shore's its about time they looked at their import tax on goods most likely to be purchased when here.

we all know the tax on alcohol is steep to say the least,but what i saw yesterday in a cash and carry made me want to give up my favourite tipple for the rest of my life[not much chance].

one bottle of magners irish cider[589ml]=179bht.a bottle

4bottles=716bht.

at todays ex.rate 48bht.to 1gpb.one bottle=£3.73p.4bottles=£14.91p.

tesco uk.1 bottle=£1.99.that is 96bht.4 bottles for £6.that is 288bht

so who is making the difference in price between uk.vs thai.about 60%.

so dont forget the price i saw yesterday was not the bar price.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its safe to say that meatboy has a drinking problem.

Many foreigners here have a drinking problem. I don't drink I got other problems biggrin.png .

But he does have a point about the steep taxes here on many things. I doubt we can change it there are other things I would love to change too but even the Thais don't hope for it as all the governments seem to do is fill their pockets and not work to improve things here.

• Like 2

I think its safe to say that meatboy has a drinking problem.

is there anything i can take for it?

someone mentioned the local beer,i think its the thai's that need our local beer brewed in cardiff[brains].

we can talk about many things the government tax , i like cheese , i like Australian wine, i like western food. all have huge taxes on them , if i went to Europe i would be paying big tax on food items too from Australia this is life , one thing that you can be sure of is taxes

Yes import taxes suck. On the other hand, other taxes are low, which in turn allows locally produced products to be cheap. So what is essentially happening is the Thai government putting most of the tax burden on luxury consumption which is mostly for the rich. They have to get their tax money somehow as we all know that income and particularly corporate taxes here are not very effective.

It works the other way too. Try buying Singha or Leo in the UK, it won't be 35 baht a bottle.

Yep..i am addicted to rice...Once i bought one Kg. of Thai Jasmine rice in Italy, it was 4 times the price i pay in Thailand.

It works the other way too. Try buying Singha or Leo in the UK, it won't be 35 baht a bottle.

yep but who wants to drink singha or leo in the uk.when you can have tetley's,john smiths,brains sa.strongbow around the same price.

its only the love sick that left their tee-raks back in los will sup.em makes them think about what those 2weeks were like.

When in the UK I drink wine and real ale because I cannot get it here at a reasonable price. In Thailand drink the local stuff, Sang Som, Blend 285, Chang, Leo or Singha ( but not all at the same time ). If I can get some Lao Dark thats ok, we cannot CHERRY PICK we have made our choice, pass another Chang, Test is on again 10 wickets to get!

Close to 50AUD for a case of 12 (original or pear):

http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_906786/magners-original-cider-568ml

http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_343111/magners-pear-cider-568ml

48 AUD =~ 1350 THB - a little over 110 baht a bottle if you buy the case, but the single bottle price is considerably more than that. No comparison between Australian wages and the minimum wage in Thailand, and I have no idea how much Magners is imported or who handles the distribution. Still :

7.50AUD = ~210 THB - ouch !

They have Magners on tap at one of the bars on Soi 4 : from memory, pints were considerably less than 200 baht, but I'm not a cider drinker. I do recall an interview for an IT gig with West End Brewery in Adelaide many years ago where I asked the interviewer why they didnt sell West End/Southwark outside of SA and his response was that it didnt make sense commercially : 'you are basically shipping water across the country and trying to compete with other breweries with an established customer base'. I think diesel was less than 50 cents a litre at the time ..... it's currently 3 times that figure. I dont have a problem with high prices when a bottle is fully imported - it's when a local brewery licenses the recipe/branding and sells that bottle at 'fully imported' prices that I get ticked off.

Is there no other cider available in Thailand that is comparable to Magners ?

Close to 50AUD for a case of 12 (original or pear):

http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_906786/magners-original-cider-568ml

http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_343111/magners-pear-cider-568ml

48 AUD =~ 1350 THB - a little over 110 baht a bottle if you buy the case, but the single bottle price is considerably more than that. No comparison between Australian wages and the minimum wage in Thailand, and I have no idea how much Magners is imported or who handles the distribution. Still :

7.50AUD = ~210 THB - ouch !

They have Magners on tap at one of the bars on Soi 4 : from memory, pints were considerably less than 200 baht, but I'm not a cider drinker. I do recall an interview for an IT gig with West End Brewery in Adelaide many years ago where I asked the interviewer why they didnt sell West End/Southwark outside of SA and his response was that it didnt make sense commercially : 'you are basically shipping water across the country and trying to compete with other breweries with an established customer base'. I think diesel was less than 50 cents a litre at the time ..... it's currently 3 times that figure. I dont have a problem with high prices when a bottle is fully imported - it's when a local brewery licenses the recipe/branding and sells that bottle at 'fully imported' prices that I get ticked off.

Is there no other cider available in Thailand that is comparable to Magners ?

yes mr.w.i now drink stowford press imported from hereford[wales] that works out at 2,300bht a case of 24cans[500ml],includes delivery i was able to get dry blackthorn and old english at 2,000bht a case of 24cans[440ml] but those are no longer available.there is another that makro used to sell john keplars this is the best at 2,520bht.a case of 24[500ml]this has dried up.my last order of stowford press i didnt have was apparently held in customs.there is one that is brewed here in thailand but that is more expensive.as for magners i would rather drink vinegar.