Help with cats (sand and food!)

Hi,

We have just moved to Thailand from Europe and our 5 cats eat beef or chicken whiskas or friskies tin and biscuits, but all that seems to be offered in Bangkok is fish, which surprisingly all our cats hate.

Also as the are indoor cats we use lots of cat sand in the litter trays, but again the stuff sold here is disgusting and doesn't clump correctly. Does anyone have any info on a cat and reasonably priced cat supplies centre in Bangkok with a bigger selection of food and litter?

Any help would be gratefully received

Jamie

i had the opposite experience for my cat in regard to litter . .what cat litter brand or what sand are you using? most of the local clumps hard due to its compound, basically cement and its very harmful and not dust free compared to other, you will have alot better local quality wood pallets but pallets generally doesnt clumps well. no experience with local made crystals

food wise, try maxima lamb no soybean, no corn, no wheat. my cats love it, i believe it to be locally made

make sure you are looking and browsing in a pet store. big c, lotus etc pet stuff are bad

Hi we use a cat sand in a blue bag with pink top for perfume but it is terrible and not cheap. Yes it clumps but not together. The stuff we use in Europe is fantastic and never smells.

For food we tried gourmet in paragon and big c etc. will try to find some pet shops near on nut

Thanks

Will try macro as well huge thanks for all the support.

Yes when they are hungry they will eat but two of them just vomit it up again, Siamese problems.

Thanks[/quote

Well we have a siamese also, she eats what she gets, including ching tschuks...

Much better than the traditional kitty litter is a new product available in manyvpet shops here. It's cat little that looks like clear plastic beads. I believe it's a type of silica gel. My Burmese and Maine Coon use it and there are no issues. It seems to suck all the moisture out of the 'solids' and absorb the 'liquid' without any smell. After removing the 'solids' you can place the tray in the sun and the beads return to being clearvand dry. It can be used for several days without replacement unlike regular litter.

It is not much different in price.

As for food.. Yes I too thought it funny that most of the canned food is fish based. My cats although from Thailand are notbthat keen. They eatba variety of pork heart, pigs liver, minced beef, canned tuna and fresh fish from the market plus dry food if they want it.

Not all cats will eventually eat what is given them. In fact many will not. Especially if raised for many years on something else.

There are some good brands of litter out there as others mentioned. For the food, it is harder. In higher end stores there are some gourmet lines of canned cat food some of which might include non-fish, haven't checked.

You might also try tempting the cats with fresh steamed mackerel available at all the fresh markets and cheap), if you can get them to like it then a switch to mackerel cat food might gradually become possible.

Worst comes to worst, you may have to cook for them.

When we first moved to the Middle East 30 years ago we very often couldn't get cat litter and used rice a couple of times. It was quite funny watching our cat having a pee and gradually rising up in the air on a mound of rice. smile.png

• Like 1

in the sub basement at gateway mall connected to ekkamai bts there is a pet store that carries clumping litter fresh step I believe and a few different varieties of wet food ostek, royal canine and they have turkey, beef etc.

Edit: the prices were reasonable for the wet food 25 to 35 baht, our little friend is also a very picky eater and we've found mixing different dry food whilst we find one that is acceptable to HRH is the easiest he eats what he likes and makes a mess with the rest.

We also had to add baking soda to the litter as with the heat is was a little too much, that took some getting used to as he likes to make a little dust storm pre and post his routine.

Edited by ToddWeston

Hey guys thanks for the great advice. The vets always advise against dig food as cat food has a chemical in it to help their eyes or liver, I can't remember what. With 5 rescued soi cats most have been spoilt with nice food from Europe. I will try the gel maybe, but we have 4 litter trays and the bags are about 300baht for 10kg normally. So 1 bag a week goes quickly. I won't try to rise as one of the youngest ones spend all day in the poo tray lying in it. He would then perhaps eat it... Will try the ekamaii link as well.

Thanks everyone.