Video Camera

markuk

Hey guys

I am thinking of getting a video camera - any recomendations? dont want the top of the range, something economical which i can connect to PC and store video on PC rather than tape.

Also would be good if it can be used as a webcam? i think it would be better quality than normal webcam?

Cheers for the help

Hey guys

I am thinking of getting a video camera - any recomendations? dont want the top of the range, something economical which i can connect to PC and store video on PC rather than tape.

Also would be good if it can be used as a webcam? i think it would be better quality than normal webcam?

Cheers for the help

Don't buy JVC. There is another thread here where a number of members have had problems with JVC cameras (me included). Minor problems that are very expensive and a hassle to get fixed - usually happens just after the warranty expires.

I would go for a Sony or a Canon.

All video cameras and most still digitals have web cam facilities.

If you plan to store video on you hard disk, you will need a lot of memory. You'll need to get external hard disks to store it all as video is very hungry of memory.

I used to download onto hard disc for editing and making home movies etc, and then copy the finished products onto vcd's and dvd's. The original footage I store on the tape.

Happy home movie making :o

Hey guys

Cheers for the help

Don't buy JVC. There is another thread here where a number of members have had problems with JVC cameras (me included). Minor problems that are very expensive and a hassle to get fixed - usually happens just after the warranty expires.

I would go for a Sony or a Canon.

All video cameras and most still digitals have web cam facilities.

If you plan to store video on you hard disk, you will need a lot of memory. You'll need to get external hard disks to store it all as video is very hungry of memory.

I used to download onto hard disc for editing and making home movies etc, and then copy the finished products onto vcd's and dvd's. The original footage I store on the tape.

Happy home movie making :o

Thanks for that - i was looking at the Sony ones in Siam Paragon yesterday, start at around 15k so not bad really.

I think i would back up onto CD or DVD.

I have the Pansonic NV150GS.

It has a triple CCD sensor, one for each of the colours Red/Green/Blue

and gives excellent results, even in low light conditions.

Will also work as webcam.

Remember you still need some medium inside the camera to record the pictures, before you transfer to the PC. Tape will give you the best quality. Direct to DVD means the images are already compressed, with loss of information.

No matter how much you plan, you will always need to do some editing

to get a polished final result, so best to keep top quality until you are ready to write the final DVD.

I too am looking at a camera. I have narrowed it down to the Panasonic NVSG30 or the Canon MV940. Both are entry models and the cheapest Mini DV models.

If you are going to store and edit, film is the go. If just storing and playing, a DVD disc camera will do. For the price I don't think you need to go for much better than the above two models.

I spoke to a guy in a camera shop today. He gave me the above models as the best choice as both have a USB connection and a remote. If you have the bucks go for a high definition model.

I recently got a cheapish Canon mini dv camcorder after having used an analogue 8mm camcorder for some time. Took some footage of the Songran festivities at the local Thai wat. A nice step up in picture quality from the older analogue camcorder. Will check out low light performance later.