Best Data Plan for IPad in Chiang Mai

daboyz1

I just bought my niece in Chiang Mai an IPad with Retina display for her 15th birthday. I'm not in Thailand to help her set it up. I got her the the wifi+cellular version. I'm wondering what is the best route for her to connect to the internet in Chiang Mai. From looking around, it seems a prepaid DTAC data plan is the way to go, but the pricing is somewhat confusing. Do they charge for a certain data speed, or do they charge for the amount of data transferred? Also, I'm somewhat worried about the coverage. She lives and goes to school in downtown Chiang Mai. If anyone has any experiences with the coverage there, or the best data plan to purchase, any advice would be appreciated.

hi I don't agree with the above, DTAC works pretty well for me, but I am on a post paid account. The DTAC plans seem to let you use your data and if you exceed the amount in the month go to a lower speed.

I guess that in Down Town Chiang Mai there will be plenty of free Wi-Fi available.

I thought that might be the case, but I wasn't sure. That's why I bought her the model that has the GSM option. The free wifi was pretty sparse when I lived in Bangkok in 2004-2007. I'm sure alot has changed since then.

I would suggest Truemove H for cell data...

Managing a data plan for a 15 yo might get expensive!...

I would just limit her to home use with wifi... You can get 3bb installed for $590B/month...

She doesn't really have a home per se. She is living at a school dormitory going to Sacred Heart in Chiang Mai. She actually just got it few hours ago via shipping. Needless to say I'm the greatest uncle ever (which will last for about 3 days).

She mentioned Truemove and AIS. I think her friends use AIS which I told her I didn't like due to my pure hatred for anything related to the Shinawatra clan in any way.

I guess I'll let her figure it out.

I have a pre-pay Truemove Sim in my iPad. It works fine.

But, I can't figure out how to check the balance. So, it runs out of minutes without warning.

Not sure how to do a month-to-month deal either.