Freedom of expression: Thai Police seek to check LINE posts

webfact

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The big difference between Germany of the 30's and 40's and Thailand is the German did/have a " lets get it done attitude". The Thai's will get bored or asked someone else to do their work, so it will be a hit and miss attempt with no real results to show for it.

The old addage 'beauty is only skin deep' does so much to describe the way things are done here, as well as the effort to do anything meaningful/productive. That being said, don't get in the way, when they have a avenue to self enrichment.

Personally, I kinda like the part where he says Line was contacted, but they (Line) aren't cooperating, and Line comes back and says: "Ah, no you didn't." Sort of reminds me of when the Dems, Suthep I think it was, claimed that they had contacted INTERPOL and now there was an arrest warrant out for Mr. T., and INTERPOL comes back and says: "Ah, no you didn't, and no there isn't."

Do Thai Politicians and Officials of any/every party think they can just say whatever they want and people will automatically believe them?

Oh, sorry, that was a rhetorical question to which the answer is always "YES!"

My bad.

xsorry.gif.pagespeed.ic.HIAcli9fRM.png

• Like 1

I see the red supporters are into the "But the Dems.........................." thing again.

Still it would be a shame if they shut down this site as there is so much more to it than just the news section where we all get to slag off at the lunacy of authority.

Perhaps the Mods could think about doing something about separating the News and other 'anti anything Thai' comments from the rest of the site so if it is picked on then other parts could be accessed through another URL.

How is saying " the government is making a mess of things " a threat to national security ?

We all know there are things not to be discussed here but the PTP Thought Police are starting to run riot and it's a sad day when criticism is to be stifled.

My advice to my step-daughter with her English is 'try your best, if you get it wrong we'll find out why and try to fix it for next time'.

Of course Thai culture doesn't allow this philosophy. Nobody makes mistakes so any suggestion of same, must be the most heinous crime imaginable.

• Like 1

I see the red supporters are into the "But the Dems.........................." thing again.

Still it would be a shame if they shut down this site as there is so much more to it than just the news section where we all get to slag off at the lunacy of authority.

Perhaps the Mods could think about doing something about separating the News and other 'anti anything Thai' comments from the rest of the site so if it is picked on then other parts could be accessed through another URL.

You surprised about the Reds? Their repertoire is getting severely limited thanks to this governments own-goals.

BTW whose going to support the families who don't accompany their farang husbands to the west?

""We have been talking to them [the operators of social media] a lot, but they do not want to cooperate. When they want anything, they expect to get it, but when we ask them for something, they rarely help us. They have taken a lot from Thailand but refused to cooperate with Thailand. I won't let them go if they make any mistakes," he warned."

I bet they don't want to cooperate, they can recognise a totalitarian thought police thug when they see one. This man is dangerous and full of BS, no wonder PT chose him to censor people's thinking. The only saving grace is that he does appear to be quite thick judging by his statements, could just be his cover though. Very good actor if it is.

I would think it's likely that the operators of social media are unable to cooperate due to laws in their own countries. They may be able to give information in serious situations if they are given permission by their government but I doubt that saying there may be a coup soon will count as serious.

• Like 2

@ Suradit69, post #42,

Fact is, nearly every Western person complaining on this forum about this latest stunt by the "government" of Thailand comes from a country whose government is doing the same thing, or similar.

Either they are ignorant of the fact, or they will not admit to it because it ruins a good story. The truth does that.

wrong they are not doing the same thing

it is way worst in the "civilised" world

• Like 1

Oh dear of dear.

It gets worse minute by minute. So a copper interprets a law a certain way. Is there not anyone who can tell him he is intruding on peoples rights?

It appears people are as he seems to have an answer! If this really kicks off Thailand can say goodbye to tourism all together! People doing border runs to Burma will just keep going in that direction! Haven't been to Cambodia myself so that would be my first port of call I think!

I could handle the nonsense before but it's getting ridiculous now!

Sent from my LT26i using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Where do you get the idea that Tourists are going to stop coming here over this? unless they have the police out harassing everyone at the airport nothing will change. I don't think u have been here that long, allot worse than this goes on. Police on a regular basis raid disco and bars. Close the place down and everyone inside has to take a drug test. If this does not keep tourists away i don't see the police having the authority to check someone's phone is going to chase them away. Yes, this is a violation of rights, but here there are many more violations going on. Stick around awhile you will see.

For myself i will still take Thailand over the USA. Hell the USA's NSA department is already doing this with everyone's emails and telephone calls, so why should Thailand not be able to do the same..LOL

• Like 1

Oh dear of dear.

It gets worse minute by minute. So a copper interprets a law a certain way. Is there not anyone who can tell him he is intruding on peoples rights?

It appears people are as he seems to have an answer! If this really kicks off Thailand can say goodbye to tourism all together! People doing border runs to Burma will just keep going in that direction! Haven't been to Cambodia myself so that would be my first port of call I think!

Where do you get the idea that Tourists are going to stop coming here over this? unless they have the police out harassing everyone at the airport nothing will change. I don't think u have been here that long, allot worse than this goes on. Police on a regular basis raid disco and bars. Close the place down and everyone inside has to take a drug test. If this does not keep tourists away i don't see the police having the authority to check someone's phone is going to chase them away. Yes, this is a violation of rights, but here there are many more violations going on. Stick around awhile you will see.

For myself i will still take Thailand over the USA. Hell the USA's NSA department is already doing this with everyone's emails and telephone calls, so why should Thailand not be able to do the same..LOL

Sure all other western countries are already monitoring citizens.

The key here is it is being done with political bias.

Relax guys.

As long as you don't use words like (according to the other paper) "coup, monarchy, lese majeste, drugs, counterfeit goods and prostitution", you'll be fine.

Looks like I'm screwed though.

At least freedom, discussion, transparency, informative, consistent and progress remain safe bets

Enjoy working on nu-speak mate

When is the police going to get themselves a Media department so that such pieces of gold are never spilled out to the public again. Furthermore and it might be a translation issue, but I have never heard a police officer anywhere speak opinion. Especially his own.

Really I am surprised that the government has not put a strange hold on contact with the media all together with a central media office. Maybe they do, just everyone does their own thing....... thoughts?

The naked Gun... Just the facts ma'am.

• Like 1

Oh dear of dear.

Sure all other western countries are already monitoring citizens.

The key here is it is being done with political bias.

Monitoring is not the issue, it's the reasons why. Does the democratic first world arrest its citizens for exercising their right to express political opinion?

There is far too much information in circulation for governments to deal with everything.

They must focus.

I believe the first world is obsessed with counter-terrorism.

It's thailand's choice of focus which is the issue, not the fact they are doing it.

"They have taken a lot from Thailand".

What an idiot. clap2.gif

I wondered about that too
They took Thai literature?
That's where it went!

All of it in 100 word messages and Smiley's.

Maybe that's where the Thai smile went. Line stole it. I can see a notthenation story here.

Line stole our smiles.

• Like 1

"We have been talking to them [the operators of social media] a lot, but they do not want to cooperate. When they want anything, they expect to get it, but when we ask them for something, they rarely help us. They have taken a lot from Thailand but refused to cooperate with Thailand. I won't let them go if they make any mistakes," he warned.

So he is now threatening the operators of social media sites.

What does he think he is to make threats against site operators in other parts of the world?

How long will it take him to get around to this site?

Does the term talking to THEM refer to Japan itself or the company, and but THEY do not refer to Japan or the company, I feel offended if it is pin pointing the country itself. And WTH> When they want anything, they expect to get it. Isn't this one of the most common attributes of Thailand? They have taken a lot from Thailand but refused to cooperate with Thailand. cooperate illegally going through what, some 200m chat? lol this guy can KMA

Exictly

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What's the big deal, the NSA has already a file on all activity in the world, that includes cell phones, computers and tablets. But not to worry the Obama says they are not listening. If one country does it then all countries will want to do it. The nanny state is awesome isn't it. whistling.gif