Freedom of expression: Thai Police seek to check LINE posts

webfact

Where are they getting all this sophisticated snooping technology and know-how? Not much guesswork required to figure it out.

As there are 3 spying NSA spying center in Thailand it isn't such a difficult question to answer.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Who woulda thunk that PTP's dictatorial cracking down like this on people's rights to express themselves and enjoy free thought would have massively increased the exact condemnation of theirselves and their police tools as it so obviously has. Hilarious. Sort of like smashing a hornets nest with a short club because you don't want to get stung. Utter fools.

With PTP in power and especially if Thaksin gets back you can expect more of this type of policy, times ten!

Oh yeah...remember the good ol' days of the Abisith- government?

Not one web- page blocked, no censorship whatsoever, by no means the highest- number of web- sides blocked?

The days when freedom of expression had one field-day after another!

Things were so much better than! coffee1.gif

What an apologist you are.

Intercepting social media messages in the manner suggested abbove is a million times more evil than blocking websites,

I think you may need to look up the word 'apologist'. DocN (no relation smile.png ) was simply challenging the assumption that this latest move against social media somehow reflects totalitarian tendencies unique to the PTP and that if the Dems were in power, this wouldn't be happening. You forget that lese majeste cases peaked under the Abhisit regime. Many thought that the 'return' to power of the PTP would mean that the days of the thought-police and political censors were over, but they were to be disappointed ... things improved, but not as much as expected. And the expected change to Article 112 never happened because doing so was portrayed by the opposition as being Lesse Majeste itself... nice Catch 22 that (trying to change the law means you are breaking the law). Of course, the news in this thread represents a further big step backwards under the Yingluck regime. But don't fool yourself into believing that things would be better under a Dems government. In fact, it could very well be much worse...

• Like 1

Oh dear of dear.

It gets worse minute by minute. So a copper interprets a law a certain way. Is there not anyone who can tell him he is intruding on peoples rights?

It appears people are as he seems to have an answer! If this really kicks off Thailand can say goodbye to tourism all together! People doing border runs to Burma will just keep going in that direction! Haven't been to Cambodia myself so that would be my first port of call I think!

I could handle the nonsense before but it's getting ridiculous now!

Sent from my LT26i using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Germany, UK, USA, Russia, China are doing the same spying a long time, so tourists will feel themself like at home...

Are those countries also locking people up for 15+ years for sending SMS messages or not removing posts from web forums quick enough?

No, but they illegally spy on you, monitor your private conversations without a warrant, and can arrest you and label you a terrorist if they don't like what you said and then deny you your civil rights and due process. And they do.

I'm all for law and order, and I believe that there are "bad people" in the world who want to do bad things, but I believe that law enforcement can deal with them WITHOUT trampling the rights of every citizen in order to do it.

People like this guy have only been emboldened since Snowden's revelations. If America--that paragon of rights and democracy--can snoop on the private communications of its citizens (and the citizens of other nations!), why not Thailand? Of course, Snowden's news was old news. Just do a search on 'Carnivore and Echelon' and you'll see that this sort of thing was going on long before the advent of Facebook, Twitter, and smartphones.

Who woulda thunk that PTP's dictatorial cracking down like this on people's rights to express themselves and enjoy free thought would have massively increased the exact condemnation of theirselves and their police tools as it so obviously has. Hilarious. Sort of like smashing a hornets nest with a short club because you don't want to get stung. Utter fools.

Welcome to the 21st century where the Junta would go so far as going over dead bodies to save their sorry faces...

ASEAN nations have moved on, while Thailand is taking the big steps back into totalitarian police nanny state....

Who would have imagined the individual responsible for much of the mass communcitian system utilized in Thailand today, the same man who used a sign board with an X to denote refusal to answer a reporters inquiry, has been responsible for numerous innocents demise, responsible for numerious social upheavels/riots, brought the cronies/family into the positions of power of several governments since he absconded, and has enriched himself several times over at the expense of the Thai populist, would have a hand in this latest declaration?

Only those not suitable to brain washing nor those blind due to personal greed. Just hope there is strength in numbers and the number stand up to be counted..

People like this guy have only been emboldened since Snowden's revelations. If America--that paragon of rights and democracy--can snoop on the private communications of its citizens (and the citizens of other nations!), why not Thailand? Of course, Snowden's news was old news. Just do a search on 'Carnivore and Echelon' and you'll see that this sort of thing was going on long before the advent of Facebook, Twitter, and smartphones.

Chances are though that if I spread rumors about coups and the like I'm not going to find myself in jail.

Well it would be funny I think if it wasn't so sinister! The whole thing reeks of Hitler's Third reich. They really need to read the rise and "fall of the Third reich", The Thai Police could learn the whole set up there for free.

Edited by jollyman

With PTP in power and especially if Thaksin gets back you can expect more of this type of policy, times ten!

Not one web- page blocked, no censorship whatsoever, by no means the highest- number of web- sides blocked?

Intercepting social media messages in the manner suggested abbove is a million times more evil than blocking websites,

Yeah...that's me!

I have a loooong history of painting eveything gold, the PT does!

And you?

I guess, you could be called a selectivist: Thailand's history began with Thaksin, is Thaksin and will end with Thaksin.

Everything in between didn't happen, wasn't that bad or should simply be forgotten.

Yeah...that's me!

And you?

I guess, you could be called a selectivist: Thailand's history began with Thaksin, is Thaksin and will end with Thaksin.

Everything in between didn't happen, wasn't that bad or should simply be forgotten.

If he makes it back, that could happen.

• Like 1

Yeah...that's me!

And you?

More waffles than Belgium.

• Like 1

I am reminded of a film I once saw...don't remember the name of the film, but one exchange of dialog stuck in my mind: "I have the right to..." "No, you have the power. You do not have the right." (Paraphrased).

Piss it (who probably has a psychological complex due to his name) shows what kind of democracy Thailand has. None.

"We are not violating anybody's rights, as the checking is being done overseas. So you can't really attack me for this," he said.

So, if a country has someone murdered in another country, that's fine - as it doesn't violate anyone's rights because it is overseas. <deleted>?

Of course none of these companies are going to help - its their business to be open as much as possible and acting on behalf of a government's request for a witch-hunt will kill their business - no way Line will cooperate either. The rise of fascism continues...

• Like 1

Yeah...that's me!

And you?

Red TV went on spouting its criticisms, vitriol and hate for most of the Dems government. It was not until there was open commentary against the palace and in favour of violent attack that it was raided and the antennae taken. It was then later allowed to reopen and broadcast.

Every country has censorship, but there is a world of difference between removing access to a commercial (like) sites or TV/radio channels than performing a witch-hunt on an individual's right of free speech.

It is also a stupid policy - it does nothing but highlight the very things they are trying to cover up. The pre-Patriot Act American system was the best: water it down with lies, junk and half truths - and no one knows or believes anything. Lock it away in a box and someone will leak it; and more people are interested just what was so important that it had to be locked away in the first place.

Edited by wolf5370

Suggest to automate the screening and take "Kik", "Kidtueng", "Love" etc. out otherwise the boys will never get anywhere.

Quite obviously the police has nothing better to do and none of them are willing to man an immigration counter at border crossings to ease the border crossing.

On the other hand it explains now, why they send the boys to quick-fix English classes. Must allow them to screen also the non-Thai messages. Given the (plausable) number of users I would assume, that every second there must be a million or two messages crossing the networks.

Keeps them busy and less ransacking at intersections shall take place then!

Pathetic!

Well it would be funny I think if it wasn't so sinister! The whole thing reeks of Hitler's Third reich. They really need to read the rise and "fall of the Third reich", The Thai Police could learn the whole set up there for free.

No worries about them reading that. I seriously doubt if there is a Thai translated copy available anywhere in the world.

cheesy.gif

"We have been talking to them [the operators of social media] a lot, but they do not want to cooperate. When they want anything, they expect to get it, but when we ask them for something, they rarely help us. They have taken a lot from Thailand but refused to cooperate with Thailand. I won't let them go if they make any mistakes," he warned.

So he is now threatening the operators of social media sites.

What does he think he is to make threats against site operators in other parts of the world?

How long will it take him to get around to this site?

Hmm was thinking that myself.... Facebook was the catalyst for the Arab spring, and I suspect that the Thai government is well aware of that. I think the government censors would view Thai Visa as a bunch of whiny farangs. But with no real power to sway the Thai people at large.

Maybe I should retire EyesWideOpen, and reopen a new account with a phony email address and use a VPN. Or maybe the censors will be able to get all the past records, like it appears they are doing with Line. Oh man I am screwed, with all the fun I have had taking the piss out of the endless wacky government decisions over the last couple years. Should I just flee now, or wait it out and hope for a coup....... :-)

Edited by EyesWideOpen