Law suits fly in face of DSI Phuket 'mafia' list

webfact

Law suits fly in face of DSI Phuket 'mafia' list
Phuket Gazette

ma.jpg
Thammawat Wongcharoenyut files a complaint against the DSI for his name appearing on their 'mafia' list. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- Five of the men whose names or businesses appeared on the Department of Special Investigation’s (DSI) “mafia” list have struck back at the DSI’s allegations that they had links to illegal taxis and organized crime (story here). Three have already filed defamation suits.

Thammawat Wongcharoenyut and Siwa Siangyom filed their complaints against the DSI in Phuket on Saturday. San Charoenjit reportedly filed a defamation complaint with police in Bangkok.

“I am clean. Just an ordinary villager who lives and operates a business in Phuket,” said Mr Thammawat, who runs a taxi operation on the island. “I have no illegal taxis – all of them are properly registered,” he said.

“The DSI revealed my name without any consideration of the repercussions it would have in my life. Now that my name has been published like this, how can I be in Phuket?,” he said.

Mr Thammawat believes that one possible cause for his name appearing on the list was because he led a protest over Airport of Thailand (AoT) not allowing his tour desk to renew its concession at the Phuket International Airport after it expired on July 30.

“I had been doing business at the airport for more than 10 years, and then, out of the about 100 businesses that operate there, they decided not to renew my concession,” he said.

Siwa Siangyom, whose concession at the airport was renewed when his contract expired, was in disbelief to find his name on the list.

“I was mortified after I heard that my name was on the list of illegal taxi operators,” Mr Siwa said.

“I do not know where the information the DSI got came from,” he said. “I operate a tour desk at the airport that has been handling hotel room and tour bookings for about the last 14 years,” he said.

Preechavude 'Prab' Keesin, son of the mayor of Patong, who was also on the list, decried the DSI’s “assumptive” list.

Nonetheless, Mr Preechavude made it clear that despite being cited on the list he was not planning on pursing a legal suit against the DSI. Nonetheless, he hoped that the “DSI would take responsibility” for what happened.

“The DSI is going after businesses in Patong as if these operators are running the mafia, when the real mafia operates outside of the business owners,” said Mr Preechavude.

There is no mafia in the way that the western media is perceiving it, as a group of business owners operating illegal taxi businesses and scamming tourists, he told the press.

“If government officers are unable to identify the real members of organized crime in Phuket, they should resign or be moved to another province – because if they don’t know who those people are, then it means they aren’t actually working,” said Mr Preechavude.

Mr Preechavude and others gathered on August 11 to express their concern over the way the word “mafia” was being used by the DSI and media.

“I am concerned because I have already had many investors and tourists contact me to ask if Patong has a mafia,” Mr Preechavude said.

Setthasak Buason, president of Limousine Call Center and manager of the taxi station in front of Jungceylon shopping center, was also shocked to find his name on the list, but has yet to make a move to file a lawsuit against the DSI.

“I am not associated with any mafia operations on the island,” Mr Setthasak said.

“The taxi station in front of Jungceylon is one of the best managed queues on the island,” he said.

“I want the DSI to treat us fairly. If they want help, I am more than happy to assist in anyway I can,” Mr Setthasak said.

Weerawich Krueasombat of the Patong Entertainment association stood up this weekend to support the local businessmen named on the list.

“This is not fair to us, because now tourists will have no confidence in their safety when they come to Phuket,” he said. “If the DSI wanted to know who was in the mafia, they should have asked business owners, not government officers.”

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Law-suits-fly-in-face-of-DSI-Phuket-mafia-list-21936.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-08-13

I wonder if the "tour desk" at the airport is one of the ones that offers a super cheap van ride to Patong, but stops half way and forces you to sit for 45 minutes while they take turns trying to hard sell you into cancelling your current hotel reservation and instead stay at a hotel that pays them a commission?

"If you're not doing anything wrong, why would you even bother to sue the DSI?"

Its deemed Slander if untrue and is a common lawsuit, world over.

If you're not doing anything wrong, why would you even bother to sue the DSI?

>>Setthasak Buason, president of Limousine Call Center and manager of the taxi station in front of Jungceylon shopping center, was also shocked to find his name on the list, but has yet to make a move to file a lawsuit against the DSI.

“I am not associated with any mafia operations on the island,” Mr Setthasak said.

“The taxi station in front of Jungceylon is one of the best managed queues on the island,” he said.

How does one go about getting a taxi stand in front of Jungceylon? Without huge payments to someone ( Hello Mr mayor and the bibs) there would be no way to operate there just because you run the "best managed queues". BTW, why are you drivers so thuggish, surly and downright hostile to anyone that even considers parking their vehicle in your "area " for a brief moment?

• Like 1

>>Setthasak Buason, president of Limousine Call Center and manager of the taxi station in front of Jungceylon shopping center, was also shocked to find his name on the list, but has yet to make a move to file a lawsuit against the DSI.

I am not associated with any mafia operations on the island, Mr Setthasak said.

The taxi station in front of Jungceylon is one of the best managed queues on the island, he said.

How does one go about getting a taxi stand in front of Jungceylon? Without huge payments to someone ( Hello Mr mayor and the bibs) there would be no way to operate there just because you run the "best managed queues". BTW, why are you drivers so thuggish, surly and downright hostile to anyone that even considers parking their vehicle in your "area " for a brief moment?

Why would you file charges against DSI in the first place? What chances on earth do they think they have?

I'm wondering if these lawsuits could be a good thing.

One way to show you are not "defaming" someone is to have your allegations proven in a court of law.

They are probably using the defamation cases as a bargaining chip, but, if they push too hard, they could be charged, to make the defamation case go away. I hope so.

It will be interesting.

I am quite sure these general worldwide rules apply to Thailand as well:

The Bank always wins.

The Mafia always wins.

The rich always win.

All of the above players combined gives you the name of an institution that most countries have and it starts with a G and ends with a T smile.png

Edited by catweazle

With the ridicouless high prices one has to pay for Taxi-service in Phuket, I guess that every Taxi-operator must be a member of the Taxi-Mafia or Cartel (same-same) fully backed by the Government of Phuket! Otherwise there would be free competition on the prices.

Anyone could run a brilliant business, by charging less than half of what is being charged for Taxi-rides in Phuket today. Just compare with the Taxi and Tuk-tuk prices in Bangkok.

Edited by Xonax
  • Like 1

maffia, that is the level above the tuggs, that go extort money from every business for protection and dealing drugs and arranging hookers and allowing illegal activities...

mostly, the use the cover of their day job, supposing to control and suppress the same illegal activities... win win situation for them...

big cars, big houses, mia nois...............

men in brown, carrier for a lifetime

• Like 1

Possibly the concepts underlying defamation & libel have eluded you. Successful law suits depend, largely, on the fact that you didn't do what was claimed.

From the exalted BBC:

The purpose of libel law

Libel law protects individuals or organisations from unwarranted, mistaken or untruthful attacks on their reputation. A person is libelled if a publication:

• Exposes them to hatred, ridicule or contempt
  • Causes them to be shunned or avoided
  • Discredits them in their trade, business or profession
  • Generally lowers them in the eyes of right thinking members of society
Edited by Suradit69

Possibly the concepts underlying defamation & libel have eluded you. Successful law suits depend, largely, on the fact that you didn't do what was claimed.

From the exalted BBC:

The purpose of libel law

Libel law protects individuals or organisations from unwarranted, mistaken or untruthful attacks on their reputation. A person is libelled if a publication:

• Exposes them to hatred, ridicule or contempt
  • Causes them to be shunned or avoided
  • Discredits them in their trade, business or profession
  • Generally lowers them in the eyes of right thinking members of society

Not in Thailand. Libel & defamation lawsuits are a good way to make some extra income or shut people up, even if the claims are in fact true.

"Regardless of the truthfulness or falsehood of the statement, once it became a source of an injury which caused damage to the victim, the defendant is liable"

Edited by simple1

“This is not fair to us, because now tourists will have no confidence in their safety when they come to Phuket,” he said. “If the DSI wanted to know who was in the mafia, they should have asked business owners, not government officers.”

He's having a point!! Tourists know for years that Phuket is an unsafe place to go to, and yeah the government officers are the Mafia in this case.

Please do not like this post, if you don't want to be arrested!!

>>Possibly the concepts underlying defamation & libel have eluded you. Successful law suits depend, largely, on the fact that you didn't do what was claimed.

I understand the concept just fine thank you. If you actually believe that these guys are innocent of wrongdoing then perhaps this concept has eluded you and you are not familiar with how things work on this island. BTW, I never see you post on the Phuket forum, do you actually live here and have a clue as what all the latest bruhaha is about? The guys that have been named are raking in huge profits with their "business model", and certainly won't just roll over and gladly give up their multi million baht monthly income. Step one is to file a defamation suit and deflect what is really going on, corruption on a big scale.

I wonder which court hears the case? I wonder if it will get to the Supreme Court?

I wonder if their bank accounts will be inspected or if forensic accountants will be called in?

I wish the DSI luck in finding the real criminals and publicly exposing them as a warning that things are changing.

what is the legal rate per KM for taxis to charge ?

any body have any ideas?

as on samui Taxis are allowed to charge 90 baht [then the metred rate ]

ive just done a km check from the airport to chaweng [3 kms to start of the one way system]

and chaweng is 5 kms long

so max distance would be less than 10 kms

@ 10 baht per km [plus one off charge 90 baht ] = total 190 baht from airport to chaweng

taxi cost on samui for this trip around 400 baht

blatant overcharging by at least 100%[probably untaxed also ]

which equals millions and millions of baht per year rip off and untaxed

• Like 1

“If government officers are unable to identify the real members of organized crime in Phuket, they should resign or be moved to another province – because if they don’t know who those people are, then it means they aren’t actually working,” said Mr Preechavude.

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

This Q&A about a certain ''influencial'' person who has disappeared already makes one wonder about this investigation big time..;

Asked about this, a DSI official said the DSI has evidence and witnesses against the influential people and groups, but cannot disclose any of this at present.

We need another month before we can be completely confident of our facts, and then we will make a statement,” he said.

They have named names already..but now need a month more to be sure ??...Only in Thailand...coffee1.gif