Using Thailand as a base.........any thoughts please

MonkeyLoo

Hi All,

I am an IT contractor currently working in UK. I'm thinking of basing myself in Thailand and contracting from there. Geographically its a pretty good location to the areas I would be allowed to work, and some areas I could perhaps explore.

My idea was to perhaps have a business in Thailand that could also bring in a small income and pay my living expenses when in Thailand. I love Thailand and spending time between contracts there would be perfect.

Any thoughts or advice? People doing this already im sure.

Have you looked into the process and costs of having a business in Thailand :

who will be your 51% Thai majority share holder ?

Will your business support rent , minimum 4 Thai employees not including your business partner, tax, visa costs, tea money ?

You can't work in Thailand because you want to without providing employment to at least 4 Thais otherwise you are a tourist through choice and that is your visa option which legally you can't work on.

I have a Thai girlfriend who could look after the business. I don't think it will be big enough to employ 4 Thais. My idea is to keep it small and keep as much control as I can, just cover living costs and accommodation costs.

Tourist visa should be fine as I will usually work away for several Months of the year, but hopefully it wont be as crucial for me to contract if I can live cheaply in Thailand for a few Months at a time.

The minimum is 4 Thais per foreigner (non surrounding countries), if it isn't big enough for that then forget any legal involvement in the company. As said use tourist visas for as long as you can get them or education visas.

If over 50 you can do a retirement visa if you can prove funds obviously not through work in Thailand. Again you can't legally work on any of those visas, so your choice.

If you know your girlfriend well enough and she has experience of running a business just put it in her name.

Thanks for the advice Arthur. I have a few years to retirement yet but maybe the education visa would be an option. Are you referring to a visa for teaching English?

I know my girl well, but its never a good thing to give full control of anything major. Been through a few relationships so im not keen on risking too much if things ever went sour

Thanks for the advice Arthur. I have a few years to retirement yet but maybe the education visa would be an option. Are you referring to a visa for teaching English?

I know my girl well, but its never a good thing to give full control of anything major. Been through a few relationships so im not keen on risking too much if things ever went sour

You can do that but obviously you will need to do the job as well.

No an education visa to learn Thai or I think you can learn things like Muay Thai on them.

You'll be duly schooled on the need for a work permit. But as for using Thailand purely as a base, an option could be to have your girlfriend open a bank account as a sole trader under a business name you choose. That'll provide a trading name, biz number and account number for invoicing if you're contracting around the region and need to have money deposited locally.

Haha, I know what you mean she would probably eat the profits.......

But seriously, im looking at a way of living free between contracts. As I cant work officially I will need to do it through my GF. It wont be a serious investment. Even if it goes pear shaped its not the end of the world

Edited by Phil Conners
Font reset