Divorce

birdbirdbat

How do you divorce a thai man. What are HIS rights? What are a Farang girls rights? Are there rights in Thailand? Who gets the money if there is any? is it split 50 50?

Is he a willing party to the planned divorce ?

Are there children ?

Is there property and or assets ?

Where are you both located ?

I am presuming that the marriage was done in Thailand at the Government offices

yes, he is willing. I'm 80% sure.

no children.

1 house (very inexpensive) in his name.

yes, assets. mine from before (all in my name, safely tucked away in north america)

1 small bank account here in my name 20,000 B.

1 truck 2nd hand

He has no money for a lawyer, but I do.

We are both in Thailand. yes, marrige in Ampur.

yes, he is willing. I'm 80% sure.

no children.

1 house (very inexpensive) in his name.

yes, assets. mine from before (all in my name, safely tucked away in north america)

1 small bank account here in my name 20,000 B.

1 truck 2nd hand

He has no money for a lawyer, but I do.

We are both in Thailand. yes, marrige in Ampur.

Both back to the Amphur....it is easy in your circumstances ... shouldn't be a problem. Good luck

Dr PP

thanks for that. but dose that mean that everything we have is split 50/50? ie. the house and truck and savings accounts. is that how the law works here? :o or do we come to our own agreement and aproach the amphur that way?

You are not very clear, I have to say.

You have no asset in common, he has no money and you want to know whether you have to split 50/50.

Split what?????

Dr PP

thanks for that. but dose that mean that everything we have is split 50/50? ie. the house and truck and savings accounts. is that how the law works here? :o or do we come to our own agreement and aproach the amphur that way?

The easiest and best thing is to come to your own agreement. There's no real need for lawyers then. Maybe get one between you to record the agreement and have you both sign it. Off then to the Amphur together. All over in half an hour

but dose that mean that everything we have is split 50/50? ie. the house and truck and savings accounts. is that how the law works here?  or do we come to our own agreement and aproach the amphur that way?

By Thai law, the married couple own 50/50 of asset you have after married. But if you both want to divorce and have your own agreement, the Amphur will only ask if you want to make a formal statement by putting it in writing at the back of your divorce certificate. Take only 30 minutes and lawyer is absolutely not necessary.

The house is in his name because I am farang. It was purchased with both our moneys 50/50 prior to our marriage. I couldn't be on the title I was told even after marriage. how can i be assured i will receive my 50% when I am divorced after the sale of the property. Is there a system in place like that? or is up to the individual parties?

The house is in his name because I am farang. It was purchased with both our moneys 50/50 prior to our marriage. I couldn't be on the title I was told even after marriage. how can i be assured i will receive my 50% when I am divorced after the sale of the property. Is there a system in place like that? or is up to the individual parties?

If there is no formal agreement, do not divorce. You both need to protect yourselves. It won't cost much to have a lawyer prepare a simple agreement.

I guess that love comes in all strange ways but I would venture to suggest that a for a farang female to marry a Thai she would have to be more deficient in the brain department that those farang men who marry Thai females.

On the law (and from my own experience archives) it all (divorce and division of assets) depends on the parties.

The law does give some protection to females (and a as farang female you would be expected to receive the same rights)

If he won't cough up with 50% and you do not have grounds to go to court i.e. you can't have him for adultery, (but he can have you for same) you might just consider walking away and putting it down to experience. Just like the multitude of farang men who have done just that. If you have no plans yourself to get married again why worry about getting a divorce, just let the bastard sweat.

There is the risk of course that if you remain in Thailand he will take out a contract on you. Nice, but not unheard of.

I guess that love comes in all strange ways but I would venture to suggest that a for a farang female to marry a Thai she would have to be more deficient in the brain department that those farang men who marry Thai females.

Nice broad generalization there somboon, I have been married for 15 years to a lovely, honest Thai man. Probably the most honest person I know. There are scammers and liars amongst all nationalities just as there are decent honest people. Many a spouse has been ripped off by the ex. My friend's mother (german) worked to put her American husband through medical school, once he was successful he dumped her for a younger wife. Refused to help with child support, refused to pay for her schooling. She took him to court and he ended up paying. How is this different than any other ugly divorce? How does this make a Thai man any better or worse?

Use some thought before you make such sweeping generalizations about certain groups of people.

Nice broad generalization there somboon, I have been married for 15 years to a lovely, honest Thai man. Probably the most honest person I know. There are scammers and liars amongst all nationalities just as there are decent honest people. Many a spouse has been ripped off by the ex. My friend's mother (german) worked to put her American husband through medical school, once he was successful he dumped her for a younger wife. Refused to help with child support, refused to pay for her schooling. She took him to court and he ended up paying. How is this different than any other ugly divorce? How does this make a Thai man any better or worse?

Use some thought before you make such sweeping generalizations about certain groups of people.

That was an Olympic sort of generalization sbk. Somboon ( why would he pick a Thai name feeling as he does, and more to the point, why, oh why, is he residing in Asia ? )

I guess that love comes in all strange ways but I would venture to suggest that a for a farang female to marry a Thai she would have to be more deficient in the brain department that those farang men who marry Thai females

There is the risk of course that if you remain in Thailand he will take out a contract on you.

I think Somboon your posting is way over.

First of all I am a guy who has been married for over 24 years to the same woman (a Singaporean) and I know of several expats gals that are happy married to a Thai guy and when I asked the gals are you happy, they said YES and most said they enjoy the marriage.

What risk about a contract? You don't get popped down because of a divorce. If a lot of cash is involved the risk is their but rest assured that more farang guys or gals have been popped off in this country because of business dealings then for divorces or if you deal with the money girls from the bars of course they may too one day pop you off.

I can get 50% of assets except house. This is becuse the land department consider him a real owner of house. The land department will not register him as a owner if they know it's co-owned. So I recommend you to negotiate with him.

That was an Olympic sort of generalization sbk. Somboon ( why would he pick a Thai name feeling as he does, and more to the point, why, oh why, is he residing in Asia ? )

Mr Somboon seems to have headed for the hills. ( as indeed the mother should )