Thai govt's political reform forum needs opposition to be deemed credible

webfact

BURNING ISSUE
Reform forum needs opposition to be deemed credible

Attayuth Bootsripoom
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The government appears to be pushing ahead to form a political reform council proposed by Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

Many people have been invited to take part in the forum, while government opponents and critics are showing their suspicion by turning down invitations for them to join.

Those government rivals and detractors say they suspect that this political-reform idea is just a government attempt to buy time, amid mounting opposition against an amnesty bill proposed by a group of Pheu Thai Party MPs.

They also question the government's sincerity in seeking a way for the country to get out of the current political conflict.

It appears the government has opted to ignore such criticism. The administration is going full steam to get more and more people into the proposed political reform forum. It also is counterattacking critics and opposition politicians by accusing them of trying to block a reform effort.

Among the people who have been invited to join the forum, most can be considered close to the government or politicians in power.

Former prime minister Banharn Silapa-Archa is chief adviser to the coalition Chart Thai Pattana Party's leader and its patriarch. Former deputy prime minister Suwat Liptapanlop is believed to be the de facto leader of the coalition Chart Pattana Party.

Ex-PM Chavalit Yongchaiyudh has retained his close ties with the ruling Pheu Thai Party and former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra is believed to be pulling the strings behind the party. Former Democrat Party leader Bhichai Rattakul has publicly shown his admiration towards the ruling party on many occasions, and he has been at odds with the current Democrat leadership.

Former Senate Speaker Ukrit Mongkolnavin, who chairs the government-appointed Independent National Rule of Law Commission, has aired viewpoints compatible with those of the government. Senate Speaker Nikom Wairatpanij has been close to Pheu Thai politicians. Kramol Tongdhamachart headed a Constitutional Court that ruled in favour of Thaksin in 2001 in an asset-concealment case.

It appears that among those who have accepted the invitation, only Gothom Arya, a key campaigner for a peaceful approach, is clearly politically neutral. Representatives from the private sector, such as the Federation of Thai Industries and the Thai Chamber of Commerce, have yet to accept the government invitation.

The government should be aware that political reform will not succeed without the participation of people who stand opposite the politicians in power, because the proposed forum is aimed at achieving national reconciliation. The feeling of animosity should first be eliminated to allow conflicting sides to work together and reach that goal.

It is therefore important to include all the parties involved in the reform forum. However, considering the position taken by politicians in power, people may question their sincerity.

There have been words of contempt and intimidation, instead of words of goodwill and amity suitable for reconciliation.

Without participation from the opposition, the government's reform forum will lack credibility and is unlikely to lead to genuine reconciliation. If the government is sincere, it should change its hard-line standpoint, which is destined to fail, and will be a waste of time.

The government certainly will not like failure, unless this reform idea is just a political tool meant to discredit its political enemies.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-15

It will not be a failure. The PTP, the red shirts and all their friends, will have a great and positive meeting, where they will agree on a number of reconciliation issues and clap eachothers backs. They will also agree that they have the right to reconcile on behalf of the rest of the country, as they are the majority.

When I was a kid I had 2 friends. one of them got upset with me and the other friend. We then had a meeting in order to solve our differences. At the meeting we did not manage to solve our differences, so we had a vote in order to decide if we should continue being friends or not. It turned out that 2 of us voted that we should continue being friends, and the guy who was upset gave 1 vote against. We obviously von the vote, so the decision was clear that we should continue being friends. However, my friend and I never saw the upset guy again. Apparently he was an enemy of democracy and friendship!

• Like 1

It does not matter who is there, who is not there ...

Does not matter what is said .. or said to be learned

It is all for show

PTP will press ahead with whatever they want

They only care about one thing/ peron/ result

They do not care what is best for Thailand or its people

• Like 1

"They also question the government's sincerity in seeking a way for the country to get out of the current political conflict."

Rightly so. The current government wants no changes other than complete obedience from those who oppose them.

They will I am quite sure secure opposition for participation in there show.

It will be the very best that Thaksin's money can buy.thumbsup.gif

50 Noddys sitting in a circle, saying "Krap, Krap" and swaying to Thaksin's tune as they unanimously agree on political "reform" - what could have more credibility than that?

If they get bored, they could try "human wave" voting.

Edited by OzMick
  • Like 1

Sometimes I wish I was a journalist, not a boring bank employee.

Every time this issue of reform is brought up the journalists should ask Yingluck why she doesn't implement the reform proposals already suggested by Khun Anand and the reconciliation proposals by Khun Khanit.

Their thought out ideas, based on long hours of participation from several stakeholders, are there now waiting to be publicly debated and acted on!

• Like 1

The truth is that the only glimmer of hope for Thailand lies with the opposition.

The glimmer of hope part would be correct. I hold grave fears for Thailand in the coming years.

I under stand where you are coming from. For sure the Democrats would be able to help rebuild Thailand as a country that cares for it's people. I believe that if there was to be an election called today the PTP would retain power. How ever they would need the support of other parties as they would no longer hold the majority of seats by there own.

But if we get two more years of the same as the last two years I believe the Democrats will have a very good chance with the support of other parties to lead the nation once again. Hope fully Thaksin will go bankrupt and be unable to support another coup attempt.thumbsup.gif