Retirement Visa Fee?

A visiting neighbour popped over this morning to introduce himself and has confused me. I mentioned I'll be 50 in a bit and thanks to Aeon I'm building my 800k which I'll park. I've read most of the threads here to educate myself and no one discusses the fee, I get the seasoning, the account must have access - almost everything thanks to this thread.

This guy (first time I met him) was going on that I need to pay 28,000 baht per year and that I should use an agency, some agencies charge 30k baht - I don't think he's getting commission or anything like that he seems rather personable. I said I'd rather deal direct as I'm not sure what the agency would do for me except run back and forth filling out forms, he replied ask around for a good agency they will take care of you. He had to run and said he would pop back with some information this week end. I'll learn more the but your insight would be appreciated.

Maybe I've missed the fee part, do I have to pay 28k THB per annum ? and do I pay the same fee directly to immigration? it's only a grand so I'm not terrible worried about it but I want to make sure I know how to proceed when I'm ready to apply.

The application fee for an annual retirement extension in Thailand is 1900 baht.

There are no other annual fees.

You can also purchase optional reentry permits if you need them at 1000 baht each or purchase a multiple reentry permit if you travel a lot.

Those higher fees you're being told about are for outside visa agencies offering help, sometimes legal, sometimes not, to applicants.

The typical legitimate applicant has NO NEED of any such commercial help.

Cheers.

Thanks JT for the quick response that is exactly what I thought the numbers were for fees. I'd never heard of the need to use an agency so I caught off guard.

Cheers

The fee is 1,900 baht directly to immigration and no need for anything else but the bank letter and normal copies of financials and passport/visa/entry/departure card and often some proof of where you live. There is no need for agency of any type and surly not paying such a fee for hand holding. It may be this person can not meet the financial conditions and is using an illegal means to make it appear he does - or he is very mistaken in the real process and believes it much harder than it is.

• Like 2

I feel rather stupid now or naive perhaps for asking the question in the first place I should have put two and two together - my sincere apologies.

Goes to show you the information here is solid.

Please feel free to lock the thread as it was never my intent to discuss illegal activity and I'll go sit in the corner for the rest of the day.

• Like 1

Would be most interested to learn what info your neighbour gives you this weekend - but, as others have said, you really don't need an agent to assist you with the extension of stay process. Even I have managed to obtain 4 retirement extensions to date without any agency assistance whatsoever!smile.png

Some people as said before use the visa agents because they're not really financially qualified so it's a fixing service, say no more.

Some executive types might think any amount of money is worth it to save them a little time in filling out a form, etc.

I think for people who don't speak English or Thai, they might need a TRANSLATOR. Probably cheaper than paying a visa agent service.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Absolutely do it yourself.

Simple procedure and you will find Immigration friendly and helpful.

Thb 1,900 for a 1 tear extension, Thb 3,800 for multiple re-entry (if you should need it). wai2.gif

Edited by Bpuumike

Just for all interested people.

There are major changes planned in the visa extension application process.

The changes are now being finalized and should be introduced in the next few months.

According to my information they are not so much financial requirement changes but more process and paperwork changes.

Personally i expect that will require a health clearance in the future for the one year extensions and maybe a criminal clearance for the first time extensions.

Like i said those changes are finalized yet but we should hear more in the near future.

The changes are now being finalized and should be introduced in the next few months.

According to my information they are not so much financial requirement changes but more process and paperwork changes.

Personally i expect that will require a health clearance in the future for the one year extensions and maybe a criminal clearance for the first time extensions.

Like i said those changes are finalized yet but we should hear more in the near future.

Any facts for this or is it supposition and rumor?

• Like 1

No it is a fact. The changes are almost finalized.

I only don't know for sure how much or how drastic the changes will be.

As they are not official and finalized yet they would not give me a copy of the proposed changes at this stage.

Edited by merijn

No it is a fact. The changes are almost finalized.

I only don't know for sure how much or how drastic the changes will be.

As they are not official and finalized yet they would not give me a copy of the proposed changes at this stage.

Unless this is an official news release, this still sounds like a rumor. Who exactly told you this and what is your role in this that you have such insider information? Without being specific about such things, and it sounds like you can't/won't, why should the readers here take this seriously?

OK, you might be right and we'll know soon enough. But I would react exactly the same in the future to any predictions like this that aren't substantiated.

Perhaps there are others here who are in a position to substantiate your prediction. That would of course be welcome.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Do you work for Immigration? Who did you receive this information from?

If you're really serious about this, why didn't you start a new thread given the potential major implications, instead of piggy-backing tenuously on to this one?

That would be a rumour and as such a topic will be closed as it would only be speculation without any facts to discuss.

In that case, might there be sufficient justification for all posts from #12 inclusive (including this one) to be removed?

The alternative would be to close this thread, but I would hope that this could be avoided since I for one would certainly be interested in hearing from the OP regarding the info his neighbour gives him this weekend (see my post at #9).

Edited by OJAS

Anything you do directly will always be cheaper than going through a 3rd party agency that are in business to make profit. You are merely paying for the convenience of the hassle caused by preparing, processing yourself. Sometimes an agency has an inside person (who unethically accepts kickbacks) to basically rubber-stamp the process.

Example: A friend of mine who recently quit his job here and soon to have his work visa expire was up in arms over what he was going to do. I referred him to an agency that I used, come to find he got a "retirement visa" at the age of 53 without any proof of an 800,000b bank balance.

There is no such thing as a retirement visa (the long stay O-A would require application outside of Thailand) and extensions would require 800k or 65k income or combination to meet 800k per year. Any other arrangement would likely be totally illegal and not for discussion. For legal retirement help payment of more than a day or two wage would seem totally excessive as about all they can do is put the paperwork in order (all three or so copies). If they also agree to take card of 90 day reports for the year a higher fee might be justified.

I have the information from one of the officers who is member of the immigration team proposing and finalizing those changes. (unless he agrees i don't give his name on this forum )

As they are not finalized yet i can't provide the precise changes.

And yes i work very closely with the immigration department.

I don't mind if people believe or don't believe my posting, that's up to them, i only provided a heads up that changes are coming to some or most of the visa extensions etc.

Anything you do directly will always be cheaper than going through a 3rd party agency that are in business to make profit. You are merely paying for the convenience of the hassle caused by preparing, processing yourself. Sometimes an agency has an inside person (who unethically accepts kickbacks) to basically rubber-stamp the process.

Example: A friend of mine who recently quit his job here and soon to have his work visa expire was up in arms over what he was going to do. I referred him to an agency that I used, come to find he got a "retirement visa" at the age of 53 without any proof of an 800,000b bank balance.

Another point worth bearing in mind is that the only surefire way of obtaining a genuine extension of stay stamp in your passport IMHO is if you deal with Immigration direct. If, on the other hand, you go through an agent who may be lacking in scruples, who is to know whether, rather than going along to Immigration with your application docs and passport, they trot round to a forger pal of theirs who inserts a fraudulent stamp instead? That could, of course, land you in extremely hot water!

I have the information from one of the officers who is member of the immigration team proposing and finalizing those changes. (unless he agrees i don't give his name on this forum )

As they are not finalized yet i can't provide the precise changes.

And yes i work very closely with the immigration department.

I don't mind if people believe or don't believe my posting, that's up to them, i only provided a heads up that changes are coming to some or most of the visa extensions etc.

OK, well either you're the real deal or VERY ballsy!

I guess we'll know soon enough either way.

I hope not too many people are made to be upset about this uncertainty if there is no basis to it though.

It was not my intention to upset any people about their visa extensions. My apologies if this happened.

I also mentioned that so far i know no (major) financial requirement changes are planned for now but only procedure or paper work changes.

Also i do not know exactly how big those changes are only that he informed me that they are sometimes significant.

It can be very little or something more.

Maybe i will keep this kind of information better before me and don't mentioned it here as people are easily upset or uncertain of their extension.

merjin

"..health clearance in the future for the one year extensions and maybe a criminal clearance for the first time extensions" (your post #12)

constitute rather more than

"..only procedure or paper work changes" (your post #27).

These apparently contradictory comments are all the more reason for all that you've said in this particular thread to be taken with a large pinch of salt IMHO.

merjin

"..health clearance in the future for the one year extensions and maybe a criminal clearance for the first time extensions" (your post #12)

constitute rather more than

"..only procedure or paper work changes" (your post #27).

These apparently contradictory comments are all the more reason for all that you've said in this particular thread to be taken with a large pinch of salt IMHO.

Is a possible health or criminal clearance not part of the paperwork same like all the other required papers ?

For me you have the paperwork and the financial side of the extensions etc so i don't see the contradiction.

But i will keep the rest to myself so i don't upset other people.