Penang Hotel Recommendations Please

teacherofwoe

no- the beach on that island is dismal, quite far from town-its main attraction and most hotels are ageing 70-yrs monstrosities. Also: makes no sense without quoting WHEN-prices fluctuate enormously with time of year and season-think malay holidays.

no- the beach on that island is dismal, quite far from town-its main attraction and most hotels are ageing 70-yrs monstrosities. Also: makes no sense without quoting WHEN-prices fluctuate enormously with time of year and season-think malay holidays.

Thanks for the response.

I'm doing a visa run in October and I wanted to go somewhere with the family and take the kids to the beach. When you say the beach is dismal, could you elaborate? I'm not worried about fancy hotels too much. I want to simply relax on a beach with the family for a few days. Is the beach clean and suitable for kids?

The beach area is far from town so will take about 30-45 minutes to go anywhere. I disagree about the beaches, I find them quiet and relaxing. Penang also has the best Indian Malay food, Kapitan used to be my favorite and still pretty good but services has gone down dramatically in the past few years.

Georgetown is a hole and not worth staying there unless you are just trying to save some money.

I would recommend KL and then taking the short trip from there to the beaches if you are making a holiday of it. Lankawee was nice but there are others closer.

If you are looking to spend less than 1k baht a night then you might be stuck in Georgetown but if you are looking at the 2500-3000 baht a night hotel there are many options. Hotels are everywhere and easy to find, so not to worry about that. Unfortunately, I only know the really cheap dingy places as I go just to eat Indian Malay food and don't care about nasty rooms, but if I were to take my family, I wouldn't stay at those places.

Thanks for the response.

I'm doing a visa run in October and I wanted to go somewhere with the family and take the kids to the beach. When you say the beach is dismal, could you elaborate? I'm not worried about fancy hotels too much. I want to simply relax on a beach with the family for a few days. Is the beach clean and suitable for kids?

Have you considered stopping off on the way back? If you are going by bus/train you will stop at Hat Yai. There are many islands not so far from there that are amongst Thailand's most beautiful.

I think you will find Penang disappointing if you want to relax for a few days with a nice beach. It is a little quieter in the beach area but its also drab and with a noisy road right behind you.

I have been back to Penang, ( Georgetown) twice this year and still love it,

plenty to do for 2 days, good bus system, great indian food, great to walk around.

ON the other hand hate KL its just a big city.

Have not been to the beach in Pennag for over 25 years but even then it was not that great. if ur set on staying there book via agoda or booking.com and allow an agent in Georgetown to do ur visa for u ( will cost ya an extra 50-75 MYR) its just to far to take taxis in an out

Drove down and from Phuket it was 9 1/2 hours wiht border/food/gas stops

Edited by phuketrichard

If you intend to fly both ways I guess you are stuck with Penang, Ferringhi beach is very much package holiday area with a few guest houses at the further end but very much backpacker places. The call to prayer at the mosque ensures an early wake up call at these places. The Hard Rock Hotel is great for kids with activity clubs etc but not cheap. The beach is not great for bathing. Tanjung Bungah before you get to Ferringhi has nicer beaches but not a lot going for it outside of the hotels and not many guesthouses that I can think of.

If you were not flying back then you would be better off taking the boat to Langkawi (or fly) from Penang. Much nicer beaches, many guest houses, good food and cheap drink as duty free island. On the return you can catch the ferry to Saturn and take a songthaew to Hat Yai to connect with a train or flight.

Edited by roamer

I think on the whole people go to Penang for its Indian food not the beach! ( I have been 20 odd times but to Batu ferangi (the beach) only twice and its nothing to write home about) I usually stay in Georgetown at the Mingood a cheap ish hotel 1000 THB a night but cannot recommend it for a family with kids.... visa runners and business men yes certainly.

while Penang isn't a beach destination actually (the sea isn't invitiong and usually full of jellyfish, virtually nobody swims there, all travelers use the hotel-Pools,

Ferringhi beach is not bad a place to stay for a few days, as long there are no major local holidays (and in October there aren't, but there will always be a lot of Middle easter tourists).

Ferringhi beach is as well quite near to two of Penangs attractions (TROPICAL FRUIT GARDEN, recommended, and SPICE GARDEN. not so great and certainly not so interesting for kids).

there are plenty of locally-operated smaller hotels and guesthouses, many of them can be found on agoda. just search specifically for Batu Ferringhi, not for entire Penang. the reviews of former guests who actually stayed there are extremely help- and useful.

But it all depends on the budget you have assigned for your stay.

some big decent 3 - 3.5 star hotels along the coastline leadin to Batu Ferringhi often offer low-season rates of 100-130 RM a night per room, and all have swimming Pools.

try this one if you decide to skip out on the beach option https://plus.google.com/110763223090320083121/about?hl=en

more pic at http://huttonlodgepenang.whizzroom.com/

havent actually stayed there myself just went in and asked the price. if i was with a wife and kids on reflection this would be my choice for an inexpensive stay.

me by myself i dont really care what the walls look like and go for the real cheaps.

oh yeah if you think swimming is ok at pattaya i dont think you will balk at going to or swimming at batu ferringi. bin there a couple of times didnt swim but others were. fine for a walk along the beach and washing your feet in the small wave wash. reasonably frequent modernish buses from komatar interchange or from the ferry wharf. mostly i dont bother and just stay in georgetown.

Edited by sumfool